Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looks Like Band Removal For Me

As I've posted before, I've been having a lot of pain lately. Sometimes so bad I can't even lie on my stomach at night. I suspect some of it is from the fact that I'm chronically very constipated as a result of the meds I need to take because of Nutcracker Esophagus. Funny name-- potentially dangerous condition. I did e-mail Dr. Ortiz with all this, and he was leaning toward removal...wants me to come down there, but...

Since my insurance changed to much lower out-of-network benefits, and since Dr. Ortiz's hospital charges are higher than I can pay, along w/transportation, hotel, etc., I was kind of dithering around...made 2 different doc appoints & didn't really know what to do or whom to see. (Amazing how lack of insurance coverage limits things.)

Yesterday the pain was so bad that I called my internist/gastro (whom I really trust & who diagnosed the nutcracker) & said "listen, I know you don't know what a band looks like, but you have to find me someone who does cause this really hurts". Turns out, he's started doing endos with a band doc, now knows what it looks like, and can share the pictures of an endo with him.

I had the endo today, he couldn't really see anything, but will consult w/the band doc. Meanwhile I called the band doc (Dr. Vohra, for anyone who's from Long Island) who got on the phone right away and confirmed what I've been feeling for a while now:

The meds for the nutcracker aren't agreeing with me; the nutcracker could very well resolve itself if I have the band removed; the nutcracker is potentially too dangerous to fool around with, and since I can't have more than a .5cc fill, the band has basically done its work. I have very mild restriction, but basically the band is just there and not very useful. Even if it doesn't resolve itself, the next step in treatment is definately not band-compatible, which is botox injected into the esophagus.

When I see Dr. Vohra on Wednesday, he will have seen the pix of the endoscopy & will be in a better position to tell me if there's any erosion, etc., but the point is still that both doctors feel strongly that it has to go. Oh yeah, he'll work around my insurance, admit me thru emergency, etc.

So that's my long story. Some of you have followed my journey; never easy because I couldn't keep my fills, only knowing why after the diagnosis. My first thought after speaking to the doctor, and EXACTLY what my husband said, was: "Don't ever think it wasn't worth it." And I don't.

More details to follow after I see Dr. Vohra on Wednesday.

Karen so sorry to hear this. You have lost 74 pounds with your band!! Hopefull y you will be able to carry on with your bandster rules post unbanded. Huggs.

Karen, (((huge hugs)))

I am so heartsick to hear this news. So so sorry.

When are you thinking your band removal may be?

You will be in my prayers.

Karen, You've taken things into your own hands and got the ball rolling, good research and that's great you found a doctor to work with you.

You've done an amazing weight loss job.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks my friends. Paula, I'm seeing him Wednesday, but he did definately say sooner rather than later, so I think things will move quickly. I was telling a friend "why can't I just go have it removed without seeing him first?", but I guess any doctor would want to see the patient before operating! And what idiot would rush into an O.R without even meeting the doctor? (me?) I'll post as soon as I come home on Wednesday--5 whole days away!

I DON'T REGRET FOR A MINUTE HAVING THE BAND! IT'S NOBODY'S "FAULT" THAT I DEVELOPED THIS CONDITION, AND I'M SO HAPPY WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS.

Karen, I'm so sorry. I have also never heard of that condition. Do they know what caused it? Will it go back to normal after the band is gone?

Congrats ona huge weight loss though, that is a positive out of allof this.

I'm sure that having the band has changed your life Karen. Noone loses 74 pounds and doens't feel better for it. I'm just happy that you got so far before any complications arose. I hope you stay plugged in here for support. You know your experience and knowledge is invaluable to those of us who are trying to get the most out of it before someone tells us that the journey's over.

Best of everything to you.

Sincerely,

Susan

Karen, I'm here for ya. Don't worry, band removal isn't the end of the world (unless you go on too many vacations.) If I can maintain most of the weight loss at my level of insanity, then you can too. I'm really sorry that someone sweet as you has to go through this, but it's better to take care of your health and safety. xo

Miss Karen... I sure was hoping this would end differently for you. ((((Hugs)))) I'm sure it will be a relief to be free of the pain that the band is causing but just the same... it must be hard to give it up. Please know that I have you in my thoughts. ((((More Hugs))))

Dang, Karen. I'm so bummed for you, but you will feel so much better when it's gone. It's too bad something so wonderful can cause that level of discomfort. You have done a great job with your weight loss and I know you will be able to maintain. Go hubby! for saying "don't ever think it wasn't worth it" THAT is cool. It's lotsa money out of pocket, but you have done so well!!! Good for you. Don't go far! I'll be looking for your update Wed.

Aww Karen I am so sorry for your results. I think it would be best with all the problems you are having to get the band removed. Like Lisa I agree with the vacations and not being banded. Just too tempting to eat wrong.

I will keep you in my prayers. HUGS darlin.

PM or email me (penni@pemerridesigns.com) anytime you want.

For the past 2 days my stomach hasn't hurt. I stopped the Calcium channel blockers because they made me too constipated & the dr. prescribed Mirilax. Maybe that was the problem? I can only hope. Even if I have to have my band removed, I'd rather wait a little while if it's not so urgent as it sounded. Since the band is looser than it's ever been, maybe the nutcracker has subsided? Nobody knows what causes the nutcracker, but since I never had it before and a normal fill always became too tight because of the excess motility, all the dr.'s I've seen have said it is related to the band. It's becomming known that being banded can bring out motility problems. Maybe some of us were pre-disposed to begin with, but there's no way of telling. As I said, I'll know more in a few days. At least I'll know my options from this doctor insurance wise, and then I still have another doctor to consult with at NYU if it's not so urgent. I'll keep you posted.