Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the site and definitely looking to hear about everyones experiences. I am scheduled for my surgery on November 27th and am really nervous. This was my first meeting with my surgeon, and it's what he told me about the lap band that made me nervous. He just seemed like he wasn't really a big fan of it and he felt that the other surgerys were better. The whole thing made me think I was maybe making a huge mistake. I feel better now but it would be great to hear some stories!

Its an effective tool and requires work. I felt the same way about my surgeon but I figured since the other surgeries are more expensive he was trying to upsell.

Its perfectly normal to question if you are choosing the right surgery, you should feel more confident as you do more research etc.

I am so shocked at the attitude of your surgeon! Mine was the complete opposite. He talked to me extensively and agreed the band was the right fit for me, my personality and lifestyle. That said, if you've chosen the band, you've obviously done your research and soul searched and know it's right for you. Take that knowledge and have faith that it's the best tool for you. Having the right (positive) attitude is half the battle, but you can do it. It's a life changer. :)

You definitely need to do your research, and make your decision based on what you believe to be the best fit for you.

No surgical procedure is without risks, and in the WLS group, the band has less mortality than other types of WLS.

That said, for my situation, I did not feel that rearranging my internal organs was a good choice.

My PCP was very much in favor of me getting the band...and the general surgeon who removed my gallbladder a few weeks ago was very much anti-band.

From my extensive experience with doctors in general, they are not trying to "upsell" their patients...IMHO.

Successful weight loss with the band means daily commitment to healthy eating and life long changes in lifestyle. Eating to live...and knowing that food cannot be turned to as a coping mechanism to manage any negative emotions.

Best wishes as your consider your options...

I agree, my doctor also tried to talk me out of the band but I had done my research and I was forceful that I wanted the band. So far it has worked for me, he seemed to think that I would lose more weight faster with the other options. I felt I wanted to lose slower so my fat would have time to adjust to my body lol. Not sure if this is true have read pro and cons. Do your research and find what is the best fit. Sometimes it is how much you have to lose maybe I would have went a different way if I had more to lose. God Bless you.

Sometimes doctors are the ones who have less confidence in you as a patient to be diet compliant and willing to change your lifestyle. You are empowered with the band to choose to be as successful as you want to be.

I felt it would be healthier to loose weight slower and give my skin an opportunity to adjust to the smaller me.

Both my bariatric surgeon and my PCP told me that they view me as a patient who is capable to understand their directions and follow them. I was the one who decided on the band, and they both did not hesitate to agree. They have both said that they felt that I would be willing to make the commitment to be successful, and go the distance to reach my goals.

So far, so good...:)

I appreciate everyones feedback. The more I thought about things I think the surgeon was just trying to prepare me for the difficulties ahead which Ive already been aware of. I think this choice really will help me lose weight and I don't need it to be quick. I just need a little help. Again thanks everyone!

I was banded in 2011, I have had a good response with my band. What you have to remember that it is a tool for your weight loss and not a magic bullet. If you follow the doctor's advice and the nutritionist guidelines you will be successful. It is a lifestyle change and you will be eating differently from now on, but if your are committed to losing the weight it will work for you. I have lost 76lbs since the day of surgery and 83lbs since starting the whole process. Two of my friends have been less successful because they didn't change anything after surgery, so your mindset has to be the first thing to change before you begin the journey if you do that, you have conquered the first hurdle.

Good luck!!