Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some good news

Hi Aussie girls,

I'm being banded next Thursday in Brisbane by Dr Blair Bowden.

Up until now I have been very positive and confident about having this done. The last few days I have been reading threads on this site from girls in the US reporting experiences of gaining weight, vomiting and still eating as much before or still feeling really hungry.

Maybe it's my own fault by placing so much faith in this proceedure and now my confidence is evaporating.

Please, please tell me some good news. What did you all expeience in the days and weeks after surgery.

Fleur

Hi Fleur

everyone is different therefore have different experiences. I have had times when i have struggled and thought wot have i done to myself......but i look at it now and KNOW that this is the best decision i have made in regard to weight loss and i love my band.

If i didnt get this band i wouldv gained easily another 5 or 10kg by now....but instead i have lost 22kg:).

The first 5 days after surgery were a little painful but the pain was bearable. It is nothing like wot some people make it out to be and i tho it was a breeze:).

As for vomiting.....yes this has happened to me a few times and that was because i didnt chew propley and knew no betta as the band was still new to me and it took me awhile to get used to it . The band is a tool and u still have to work it.

I dont feel hungry anymore as i have had 3 fills now:). I love this and i would recommend any obese person to get the band. This truly is a life saving tool:)

As for gaining weight i dont really know how this could be possible.....im confused with that....maybe they need a fill.

Goodluck with your surgery if u go ahead, and if u do get the band u will realise that your on your way to a healthier happier person:)

Put faith and confidence in yourself!

The band is great, but sometimes bandsterhood isn't all that much fun. It takes some time getting to know one another.

For example, my band hates Peanut Butter before 2pm. Weird stuff you can only learn trial and error. Sometimes we fight.

This band is a great tool and I love it. The other stuff happens, but we have each other to help figure it out. Read all you can and ask all the questions you can. We all want to help you in whatever path you choose.

hiya fleur it's natural to get the jitter's and doubt's before you go in probaly most of us have but every time i got like that i turned it into excitment, for the fact that NOTHING worked for me before and now no matter how slow it will go i will have a better quality of life i'm 54 this year and i want to enjoy the 20 or 30 or whatever years that i have with my grand-daughters.

i just had my third fill a couple of weeks ago and i think i may have found the right spot, i havn't had any big prob's with mine and the fill's were fine just a funny sensation but no pain, i guess if there has been a problem with me it would be the flipping head but it's getting better i'll be thinking of you on thursday...regard's jenny

Fleur,

I can only speak from my own experience from the band. Just before the surgery, I KNOW I had second thoughts. I worried that I was making a mistake or that it wouldn't work or even that I wouldn't be able to make the necessary lifestyle changes. But it did and I did and everything is going well.

Immediately after surgery, I had the normal post op pain but that went away in a few days. I felt full all the time and could only eat a few bites. Once the post op swelling went down, I could eat more but not nearly as much as I could before the surgery. I have lost weight consistently and if I gained a pound or 2 here or there it was because I made poor food choices or did a lot of in-between meal snacking. Once I got back on track, those pounds came back off easily. For me, as long as I follow the rules everything works like it's supposed to. I have never vomited because of the band. The only vomiting I have done since banding was related to my gall bladder.

Good Luck

fleur, i honestly believe this is a natural response. one i experienced myself. i am an r.n. who takes care of a lot of lapband & bypass pt's. this is a very common feeling both before & after surgery. please keep your ultimate goal in mind and you will do great. take care p.j.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to my question. I do feel better and confidence is restored. I'll let you all know how I get on this Thursday.

Thank you again,

Fleur

fleur

having my band was the best thing ihave ever done i wish i would have done it years ago,the pain wasnt to bad just uncomfortable getting up and down was the hardest but when you go on the scales and see the weight dropping off it makes it all worth while

good luck

sandra..........