Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I have a question on Protein. I know that we need 60 grams of protein daily. Is there such a thing as getting to much? I'm going on day 8 post surgery and the Isopure drinks (has 40 grams grams of protein) are fantastic! I could sip on 2 all day along with my Water. Any ideas if one could get to much protein & the side effects? :)

Depending on the person, you can have too much. Some articles cite gas, Constipation, etc.

I was told 60 was a minimum but I'm sure a bit more is fine. See how you feel and check with your nutritionist to be sure!

I try to get at least 100 grams a day. For muscle building purposes, you need 1 grams for every pound you weigh. So I really should be taking in 160 grams, but its hard to get that much in.

Your daily Protein goal should actually be a range of numbers to strive for, not just one.

During my pre op nutrition education class, the dietitian informed me that my daily Protein goal would be between 65 to 82 grams per day.

At this stage, being 6 months out, I do get most of my protein from the meals I am eating. It's good to know that you can make up any deficits with a Protein shake in the evening.

i agree with sojo on this one. my surgeon advised me 70+ grams per day. i start my day off with a Protein shake and ff milk (about 35 grams protein) as i am not hungry in the morning. but the rest of the day, i am eating lean Protein to make sure i reach my goals and then some. (its our fuel for our bodies).

but each person and each dr is different so you will get varied responses. always refer to your dr to make sure your numbers/requirements that you need.

at least 75gram here

Thanks everyone!

My nutritionist said at least 70g per day. She wants me to eat and to rely on Protein Shakes only when needed.

Im not sure about this and someone please correct me if I'm wrong. As I am new to this as well, my surgery is scheduled for thursday 9/6/12

So I have been reading ALOT! trying to prepare myself as much as possible. I read somewhere recently that a good way to measure the amout of Protein you need is to multiply your weight x 0.3 grams of protien and that's the amount you should be consuming daily. Hope this helped!

Thanks ready! I just did that calculation and it seems pretty close!!! Ty!!

Here's an interesting piece of info most people don't know: Your body can only process about 25g of Protein at a time. Anything beyond that you're not really getting or using. So even if your Protein shake says it has 40g of Protein you're still only utilizing 25g. This is why most medical grade protein supplements only have 20g-30g of protein per serving.

So, keep that in mind when you're tracking your daily protein. You may not be getting as much protein as you think.

"A moderate serving of high-quality protein maximally stimulates skeletal muscle protein synthesis in young and elderly subjects. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 2009.

So, what did these landmark studies show?

Well, the first study showed that when college-aged weight-trainers drink 0g, 5g, 10g, 20g, or 40g of protein after a weight training session, muscle protein synthesis is stimulated maximally at the 20g dose. Interestingly, there were no further increases in muscle protein synthesis at the 40g dose.

Similarly, in the second study, when young and elderly volunteers were given 30 or 90g of dietary protein in a single meal, the 30g dose maximally stimulated muscle protein synthesis. Again, there were no further increases in muscle protein synthesis at the 90g dose."

@ Vegasmommaof1, Your welcome. :) Glad to help!

@ mis73

Now that you say that, I remember my dietician explaining that in the nutrition seminar. But that was 3 hr glass and they go over so much, it's hard to wrap your head around it all! Lol That's what's so great about these sites you can pretty much find an answer to most questions. Thanks for refreshing my memory! :)

I was told to use the following equation as a Protein minimum:

weight x 0.3= Protein in grams