Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sandman,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I needed to see this! I've only watched the frist one because it's the only one that popped up...I'm looking for the other 4, could you post the others in case others cant find them?

I'm also surprised that this isn't a tid bit of information given to us pre and post surgery. I've been thinking that it was ME that was the problem. I thought that maybe I was eating around my band because I occasionally was drinking with meals (I know, still a big no no). But it didn't seem to matter either way...I was always hungry! Now I know that a properly adjusted band is going to help to keep you NOT feeling hungry!

You know, I bet a good majority of the lap-band "failures" could've used these videos.

Thanks again!

I was able to watch the rest of the videos....if anyone is having trouble, just click on the top line of the video (if the video itself is showing up in the post), they will play back to back through youtube.

It is interesting that he has some different suggestions then we've traditionally been told. For instance, he says it's OK to drink while eating as long as you aren't combining Fluid and food in the same swallow.

Very interesting...I'm curious what others thought about the videos.

Ursula

As I said earlier, where the animation shows the band around the stomach surprised me? I wonder if there aren't several different methods of placement? And does each doctor use these different methods of placement. I always thought the band was about 2-3 inches from the top sphincter but in this animation it was directly under it? Do they make snap decisions where to put it once they get a good visual look at our stomachs or are they all place under the sphincter?

The vision I always had was there was a pouch above the band. But, in the illustration/animation there really is no pouch, unless we create one by overeating, eating too fast or eating the wrong foods?

The drinking part I had already heard about. A seminar on the West Coast spoke of this several months ago. It makes sense and I've tried it both ways and don't see or feel much different either way. Drinking wine did surprise me. I like that.

tmf

I too thought the animation was interesting...totally different then what I've seen and the models in the doctors office. Although it makes sense.

I'm also happy about the wine...I LOVE me some wine! lol

The videos were very interesting. Also a very different concept then what I have been told. It was my understanding that you stay full from the food sitting above the band; whereas, this is saying after a minute it passes right through. I was also told not to drink with meals as it flushes the food through rather than letting it stay above the band to keep me satiated. Hmmm, very interesting.

I did get many helpful pointers and, of course, love the wine idea - but don't think my conscience would let me have it.

Back to the original discussion, I am very glad you are going back to your doctor. It sounds like a fill would do a lot to help you feel some restriction and get back on track. Keep in mind one fill may not do it and you may need more (not sure how much restriction you may already have).

Good luck on your journey. In recent years, I couldn't get myself to even think about restricting my diet. The first week after surgery was very challenging but it is getting much easier to be and stay on track!!

Take care and make yourself a priority from today and forward.

The videos were very interesting. Also a very different concept then what I have been told. It was my understanding that you stay full from the food sitting above the band; whereas, this is saying after a minute it passes right through. I was also told not to drink with meals as it flushes the food through rather than letting it stay above the band to keep me satiated. Hmmm, very interesting.

Thats precisely what i thought!

Does it make anyone else feel queasy that we never heard any of this?

Hi Ursula' date='

I was almost exactly in the same boat as you and have recently turned things around and lost 20 more pounds since my fill a month ago - the first in two years. Don't feel bad. My doctor said it takes some folks longer to learn how to use the tool correctly, but the good news is you still have the tool and it can be adjusted to work for you again. I sound like a broken record because I've recommended them so much, but go watch these 4 videos. They totally got me back on track and taught me how to finally use the band correctly. You can, and will turn things around. Good luck!

D.

Thank you so much for posting that link! I watched it and it was very helpful!! :)

Also, in part #3 at 6:48 he says that low calorie soft drinks are OK. Besides for hearing from my own doc, this is the only only other time I have heard this is permissible

Cool. I'm glad people are getting something out of the videos. I hope I didn't hijack the thread by posting them. I was just trying to answer the original poster's question. Since she's replied I don't think I did, but I just want to let everyone know I'm sensitive to that kind of stuff.

The other thing is please listen to your doctor's recommendations. I'm not suggesting one way or the other what you should do, but these videos were suggested to me by my doctor, so I'm assuming he's OK with the content for me in my particular situation. Things may be different for you in your situation. I know it certainly cleared a lot of things up for me and got me back on track with the band. I'm down 22 pounds since my last fill a month ago and having taken my doctors advice and viewing them.

I'm assuming that the medical community is learning more about how the band works and that's the reason for some of the information being different than what I received in my educational pre-op stuff. In any case, it's more information, and I'm a firm believer that more information is usually a good thing.

D.

I still find the whole thing extremely confusing and most of the info even from experts such as Dr O Brien seems to be contradictory.

The placement he shows and talks about is very high and seems to differ with what has been on the Allergan site for the past couple of years. So is this the way bands are being placed or just some bands or is it new. If it is only a recent thing then is this information still correct for those that may have a different/lower placement.

I am still struggling to get my head around food passing through in a minute and have been for a while although that explains how when you get stuck you feel it instantly. Previously I couldn't understand how if the food was designed to sit in the pouch why you could feel it instantly when something got stuck.

But one of the main things that doesn't make sense is how people stretch their pouches. How many times do we hear that someone has stretched their pouch by overeating and not sticking to the recommended amount of food? If there is no pouch and if the food goes through instantly then surely there is not going to be any risk of stretching? So someone PLEASE explain that for me.

Sandman, no worries! I'm so happy that I could provide a thread where so many people have learned or got to thinking.

Elver, while I definitely can't answer your questions, I think I can say that I think Sandman is on to something...medicine is always evolving and changing. Things are learned that weren't previously known or realized. I'm sure many different surgeons would give many different answers. Doctors aren't perfect and what they say isn't the end all. Sometimes we probably have to figure things out for ourselves.

Thanks so much, Sandman! I love thought provoking conversations!

elcee, I am right there with you in your confusion. I was just banded on Friday and am kinda disturbed with the conflicting things i'm hearing! Honestly, I thought that after we eat, the food sits above the band kind of like a mushroom on top and slowly seeps through. I guess I was wrong all along :wacko:

Also, in part #3 at 6:48 he says that low calorie soft drinks are OK. Besides for hearing from my own doc, this is the only only other time I have heard this is permissible

Maybe the reason that some doctors, including Dr. O'brien, have no issues with soft drinks after the band is because, while carbonation was once thought to stretch the "pouch", there actually is no actual pouch (according to Dr. Obriens videos and explanations at least)

I still find the whole thing extremely confusing and most of the info even from experts such as Dr O Brien seems to be contradictory.

The placement he shows and talks about is very high and seems to differ with what has been on the Allergan site for the past couple of years. So is this the way bands are being placed or just some bands or is it new. If it is only a recent thing then is this information still correct for those that may have a different/lower placement.

I am still struggling to get my head around food passing through in a minute and have been for a while although that explains how when you get stuck you feel it instantly. Previously I couldn't understand how if the food was designed to sit in the pouch why you could feel it instantly when something got stuck.

But one of the main things that doesn't make sense is how people stretch their pouches. How many times do we hear that someone has stretched their pouch by overeating and not sticking to the recommended amount of food? If there is no pouch and if the food goes through instantly then surely there is not going to be any risk of stretching? So someone PLEASE explain that for me.

I took the video as saying the stretching occurs only when you don't wait the 1 minute between bites. It showed how the food then backs up and starts to stretch forming a pouch above the band.

I took the video as saying the stretching occurs only when you don't wait the 1 minute between bites. It showed how the food then backs up and starts to stretch forming a pouch above the band.

Interesting. So that idea of a pouch filled with a cup of food above the band is really a bad thing because we are stretching our our esophagus? (sorry to ask such an idiotic question, but I'm confused now! I thought we were SUPPOSED to have some food sitting on top of the band)