Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I do to prepare?

I'm not getting banded for six weeks (all because my PCP can't see me until 4/20 grrrrr.)

For those who are already banded, how did you prepare? And is there anything you wish you'd done beforehand to help yourself get ready? One thing I've been thinking about is starting to exercise, but even just walking, I can only get halfway down the block before my feet legs and back start to hurt really bad. Any suggestions - especially for other ways to start exercising - would be welcome.

Congrats on your date and future banding!!!

I started cutting out/down my extreme snacking (bag of Cookies, etc). I tried to eat like a bandster, but more, of course. 3 meals a day with limited Snacks. I ended up losing about 6 pounds in a month.

Exercise, no matter how little makes a difference. Park further away, in parking lots. Do whatever you can.

Good luck. Shawn

What did I do to prepare:

Get housecleaning and misc. errands taken care of. All shopping for everything I would need through day 7 including pill crushers, Vitamins, etc. Made sure a recliner from downstairs was brought upstairs. Made sure groceries for DH were stocked (he HATES grocery shopping).

Anything I wish I'd done beforehand:

Not really. I started preparing at least 4 weeks in advance, and think I covered most bases. I do kind of wish I'd spent more time educating the people i work with about my eating, because my first day back they wanted to take me to PF Chang and had my favorite Cookies to say welcome back.

Exercise:

I'm fortunate in that I've never lost mobility. DH and I just joined a gym with an 8 lane lap pool and I'm really looking forward to that, esp. since I have a torn ligament and any impact can cause it to re-tear. I would check at the gyms near you. Many, especially Ys, offer Water exercise classes, aquarobics, etc. You could also try something that doesn't put any added strain or stress on you, like a Gazelle.

Hey Jean.. how frustrating for you. But, Im a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and that God's timing is perfect. I'm with the other gals on this one. Any exercise you can start doing now will be of great help to you for post-op recovery. You said it hurts to walk to the middle of the block. When we bought our treadmill, I couldn't walk on it for more than 5 minutes at a time. So I did what I could and just kept doing it. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll be able to increase your walks.

I wasn't able to do much in the way of preparing. I had a very bad hernia and was afraid to move much for fear it would get to bad to wait until my band date to repair, thus putting off the band surgery. But had I been able to, I would have made sure my house was clean from top to bottom. Spring cleaning! I would have done all the laundry. Prepared meals ahead of time and started freezing them for my family. Get your nails and your hair done. Buy some soft clothes for after the surgery. Things like that.

There is a great list of foods and items to have on hand prior to surgery in the FAQ forum. You could check that out. And last but not least - come here a lot and learn all you can! The day will arrive before you know it. *hugs*

Ooo.. after thought. Join a gym and go to some Water aerobics classes. Or just swim some laps at your leisure. There is nothing better for you than swimming. And when you think of getting out in public in a swimsuit, just block your mind from that - dont care. How you are now is not how you will be in a few months from now. You go now to get where you want to be. Not to look good. Right? I'm going to be doing this very soon too! Oh.. how about getting in some tanning sessions before surgery? Neat! Then you'll be all tan when you start walking in shorts this spring! :(

The hardest thing I had to deal with was the "this is my last few days of being in love with my food" binging. I didn't know that after the band heals and before your first restriction, its almost like the band isn't there. I didn't have to eat my last supper as it were.

Another thing to try to get into the habit of is being aware of the first bite when I'm hungry chomping. Try to find ways to get into the habit of taking your first bite slowly and chewing well, as after you get a fill your first bite can become your last for that meal if you gulp it.

I had to but a sign on my table to remember that.

I'm excited for you!

wow... i am such a darn procrastinator. geez. im being banded...um, like in three days, 3/23. ive yet to clean my house, though i've thought of it often; like right now! im planning on going shopping tomorrow to stock up for at least a week or so. i did get my meds filled. good for me :( other than that all i've been doing is dreaming of my band, of liquid diets, of chewing, of getting into my size 16 levi's. ho hum.

Congratulations on your banding date. The best advice I can give about preparation is act like you've been banded already. All the rules apply.

Don't drink during meals. This was the hardest thing to get use to. Start working out a schedule to load up on liquids between meals. It's hard to do when you only have a few hours to work with. No liquid 30 minutes before meals and 1-1/2 hours after.

Exercise every day. Even if it's just walking for 20 minutes. Get in the habit so that when you get the okay to exercise after banding, it won't be such torture.

Eat slowly and with purpose. Put down your fork between each bite and while you chew, chew, chew, think about whether your appetite has been satisfied yet before putting the next bite in your mouth. Don't ask "am I full?"...ask "am I still hungry?" Eat your Protein first. This is important after banding since you hit full so quickly.

Eliminate carbonated drinks and stop using straws.

Hope this helps and good luck.

:hungry:

Everyone's got great advice... I'm still finding the not drinking with meals an ordeal (I used to drink with every bite).

On the exercise, if you've been sedentary, start SLOW!! Our PT had us start with 3 min a day for a week, then 6 min a day -- and so on, increasing it by 3 min every week. She suggested 3 times a week. She said we could do more, but to guarantee we get it in at least 3 times.

And start a stretching routine -- over & above the exercise. Flexibility will really help you to do more. I bought a book about stretching & try to do it morning and night every day. Remember to go slowly, don't bounce, and don't over stretch... if it hurts, don't stretch that far!

Good luck & congrats on your band date!!

Hi,

I wanted to share my shopping/preparation list, because I feel I was very well prepared and never felt I didn't have everything I needed after surgery. It might overlap some with the other lists posted on here, but here it is:

Tools of the trade:

Heating pad

Blender or food processor (for mushy phase)

Pill cutter/crusher

A Recliner (slept in it the first two weeks!)

Cordless phone

Medicines/supplements:

Adult strength liquid Tylenol

Adult strength liquid Tylenol PM

Benefiber

Anti-nausea medicine (prescription)

Sedative like xanax or antivan (prescription)

Prescription pain medicine

chewable Vitamins

Food:

Split pea Soup

Butternut squash Soup

Potato and leek soup

Sweet potato bisque

Carrot bisque

Vegetable juice

Jello

sugar free popsicles

Low sugar grape/cranberry juice

Water sensations

Crystal Light on the go packets

unjury Protein powder in different flavors

Cream of Wheat

"Stomach Ease" tea

chicken broth

Decaf teas in assorted flavors

Soy milk (I advise cutting out dairy completely for the first few weeks)

Regular apple juice (helps with low blood sugar when you can't get much down)

Mushy phase foods

Soups like lentil, black bean, chicken noodle, etc, blended in blender

Hummus

Baba ganoush

Yogurt

Chili blended down

tuna salad

Chicken croquettes mashed up

Mashed potatoes

Indian foods blended (saag paneer, potatoes with chutney, mixed vegetables with curry... all so flavorful)

Cottage cheese

Rice cereal/cream of wheat/oatmeal

Refried Beans

Crabcakes mushed up

To prepare:

Clean house thoroughly

Do laundry

Rent movies

Buy magazines and books

Pay bills

Start eating small portions and not drinking before and after meals

Give up carbonated beverages

No drinking with a straw

Msc:

Thank-you notes for all the people who send flowers/cards, visit, or call

I think that's everything!

A recliner (I slept in this for two weeks and don't know what I would have done if I hadn't bought it)

I don't have a recliner and I can't buy a new one. I also don't know anyone with recliners. so my question is, does a bed with a lot of pillows work? I want to be as comfortable as possible. the best I can come up with is a bunch pillows.

I AM SOOOOO GLAD THAT THAT IS ONE THING THAT I DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT: DRINKING OR NOT DRINKING WITH MEALS. YEHA. MY FRIENDS ALWAYS THINK IM WIERD BECAUSE I HAVE MY BEVERAGE after MY MEALS. :rolleyes:

What is the reason for not drinking with a straw? I have been doing this since I had my surgery on 2/16/2006. :help:

Does anyone know of a doctor in Maryland that will do my fill at a reasonable charge? I was banded in Monterrey Mexico and is trying not to have to go back there for my first fill. I taked with one doctor's office today and they are charging $650 and the fill is not done under fluoroscopy. Is it necessary to have the first fill done with fluroroscopy and what is the average cost of a fill in the US?