Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has "hunger" Changed For You Since Banding?

Hi, as my screen name indicates, I'm a sleever. I've been on the sleeve forum a few months now.

I am interested in learning more about all forms of WLS. I'm pretty familiar withe mechanics of each of the operations.

What I'm really interested is more of the personal experiences. What is life like post band, do you still feel hunger after your pouch is full?

Not referring to head hunger here. That's an issue surgery cannot fix.

I appreciate any responses you may offer and am happy to offer my experiences(if desired) on the sleeve side.

I'm 3 weeks post op and have lost 10lbs since surgery. My appetite has changed drastically. I'm eating pretty much regular food now, but on the soft side. I eat about a cup of food per meal, some times a bit less. When I get about half way done with my portion, I really focus on each bite and as soon as I feel satisfied, I stop. It's a subtle feeling and I'm still learning when to stop.

My relationship with food has changed dramatically. I don't think about food all the time, like I did before. I'm using food as nourishment instead of a hobby and a friend.

I hoped with all my heart that this would be doable for me but I was very unsure. I LOVED to eat. I still enjoy my meals, but when I'm done, I'm done and not thinking about the food that I just put in the fridge and feeling the need to finish it off. I know it will still be there for my next meal and I don't have the need for it until then.

Since I'm eating such small amounts, I cook 2 to 4 portions of whatever I make for myself and save or freeze the extra, that way I need to think about food , even less.

I know its eary on, but this is working for me. I feel normal and not obcessed by food. I can easily make it from one meal to the next and even beyond and with no hunger.

Hi There! I am 4 years out. When I am physically hungry it feels the same as before, and I'd swear I could eat the same amount. But I get full much sooner, and the smaller amount keeps me satisfied much longer.

A meal will hold me about 4 hours now, with a meal being 2-3 oz of solid Protein, a cup or so of salad, and a small bit of starch. I eat about 1500 calories a day to maintain. The band has taken away my obsession with food. As my physical hunger is satisfied, I find I don't think constantly about my next meal or snack.< /p>

Not everyone's experience is the same as mine. This has been the easiest weight loss plan ever in my life. The weight came off with ease and I am maintaining that loss with ease.

My appetite has diminished greatly since being banded. It took probably took 3 fills to get to that point. I am amazed at how little I can eat and how long it sustains me before the stomach growls and says feed me.

I was banded in Feb 2012 and have had 2 fills to date. My desire for food has greatly diminished. Eating is not a pleasurable experience as it used to be. Now it's purely for nutrition. I get overwhelmed at the site of food because I don't know what will go down and what won't. I'm still in the discovery stages of it all and I continue to learn what works for me. I don't regret anything and am learning to slow way down and enjoy the whole process. I have lost 45 lbs to date and of course I feel great and am fitting into clothes I haven't worn in a couple years.

I have only experienced actual physical hunger maybe a dozen time in the almost two years I've been banded. I also don't really get a full sensation, more like a satisfied sensation. I too pretty much just eat for nutrition, but I don't see it as a bad thing. I love it :)

I have been banded a little over six months. I had one fill at six weeks and am never hungry. My first meal is typically at noon and dinner at 7 or 8 pm. I am sooooo surprised with it and mostly shocked. For the first 4 months I forced 3 meals done because people are supposed to eat three healthy meals a day! My NUT and surgeon finally got it thru my head to go off the Protein drinks and only eat when I am hungry. I have been doing this for a month now and the weight is still melting off. I am down 104 pounds.

Everyone is different with the hunger issue and I just feel really fortunate.

Yes it has!!! Sometime I have to fouce myself to eat. There are days where I'm not hurgery at all but I eat something small & light

Wow, thank you all for posting. This is aparantlly a big misconception that many people have about he band. I was always lead to believe that hunger would be a much bigger issue with the band.

Tell us about your sleeve.

Tell us about your sleeve.

Well, what would you like to know?

I am in love with my sleeve. I got it on May 23rd & really it's been smooth sailing for me. Although there are rare complications from the sleeve, I have experienced none of them. I am down 70lbs as of yesterday morning.

I will say, the hardest thing I've had to deal with is all the misconceptions about the sleeve. Many people liken it to RNY which couldn't be more wrong. The belief that the sleeve bears any relation to a pouch (used in RNY) is just not based in facts. Stretching a sleeve is nearly impossible. The sleeve is made up of the muscular portion of the stomach, and the soft, stretchy portion is removed. It would take months of constant abuse to stretch a sleeve just 1 more ounce.

Right now I'm just shy of 3months out. I can comfortably eat about 4-5oz at a sitting, if I'm eating a dense Protein like chicken breast it's closer to 3.5-4oz. Once I reach my maximum capacity, which is reached between 8-12months my stomachs capacity will be between 8-10oz.

At this point I can eat anything I want to, just in much smaller portions. I have chosen to eliminate all bread, Pasta, rice ,potatoes, & fried foods from my diet till I reach my goal weight then I will likely add back Pasta, just a lot less of it. The others I have found after a couple weeks, I really dont miss them.

I have tried pretty much everything food wise since surgery from Dr. Pepper to pizza & have found that with a much smaller stomach they just aren't as appealing as they once were. I've got limited space, & I only want good stuff in there. Any garbage food I consume displaces nutrition, which makes it so much less appealing.

I was very athletic & health minded in my mid twenties and earlier. Then the pursuit of money took over and I let my health go. I hated my self for many years for letting myself get so fat and out of shape. I ended up damaging my body & acquiring weight related issues, which made me feel like more of a failure. Now, with my new tool, I'm starting to really love myself again, and this is motivating me to help others find that love within themselves.

I believe everything happens for a reason. When I look back and ask myself why would someone who was so athletically gifted allow themselves get more than 150lbs overweight? I can say it wasn't my plan, but being here has given me a perspective that I wouldn't have otherwise had. And now my goal in life has changed. Now that I've experienced this, my goal is to continue taking my life back, & to help others gain control of theirs.

thanks for the sleeve information!

My Band has given me an understanding of the difference between "hungry" and "not hungry"....the difference between 'sport eating' and 'satiety eating'.

It's nice even 7+ years postOp to wake in the morning without the "gotta EAT" sensation.

Your doctor told u to not drink Protein shakes and mine said his patients who drink them lose faster? I drink them when I'm hungry and it seems to help. So confusing

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

One more thing regarding hunger. I was told to eat more even though ur not that hungry. ? It will make u lose more weight. I try to eat Breakfast and usually not hungry till dinner. If I am I will have hummus and crackers or string cheese. I don't feel lbs coming off as fast as it did in beginning

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I had my surgery on August 27 and have lost 40 lbs to date. Still don't seem to know what that full feeling is. Tonite for dinner I ate one egg four slices of turkey bacon on a whole wheat bagel thin. Is that too much in one meal? I have had one fill to date