Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's reached goal weight?

It dawned on me that I haven't heard from anyone who has actually reached their goal weight. Is this because once they do, they leave LBT? I'd really like to know what happens when we do reach our goal weight. How is the band handled? Keep the fill adjustments so you don't gain or lose? How do you regulate the "brakes" on this vehicle anyway??

If there is a thread on this already, I apologize. I did a search on goal weight and came up with pages and pages of all kinds of topics. *shrugs*

I am about 15 pounds from my goal weight. I was banded 11/29/04 at 222 pounds and now weigh 138. I am only five feet tall.

Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I've heard Alexandra the moderator say she is in a maintaining mode by choice -- so I thik she is one.........

No one will EVER accuse me of being "thin," that's for sure. :) But for now I am indeed at what I would consider a "goal" weight. In fact, just over the last few weeks because of my gastritis/esophagitis, I lost a few more pounds and actually started feeling a little weird about it. I just really can't imagine being truly slender, so I'm happy at my current shape.

The "brakes" on this vehicle are self-regulating. Let's say you've gotten your calorie intake down to 1400 a day, at which point you're losing 1-2 lbs a week. Once you lose 100 lbs, the same calorie level won't mean any weight loss because your body no longer needs more than that to maintain itself. So don't worry, P'Nut, you won't waste away to nothing! :biggrin1:

So.. Carlene's close and Alexandra is content with her weight where it is now. Nobody else has reached goal? Nobody? That's a bit unnerving.

So.. Carlene's close and Alexandra is content with her weight where it is now. Nobody else has reached goal? Nobody? That's a bit unnerving.

I don't think it's unnerving. People who have already reached their goal weight are not actively trying to lose anymore, right? So they'd have much less need of a weight-loss support board. I'd think there wouldn't be many people at all checking in here regularly if they're not actually trying to lose anymore.

I have to agree with Alex. I know a lady who hit goal weight with her band & she is living her life. She says she doesn't have time to go to support groups & "all that stuff."

However, I WILL get to goal weight & I WILL continue to hang around here!!! :) (Whether you want me or not!!!!)

I don't think it's unnerving. People who have already reached their goal weight are not actively trying to lose anymore, right? So they'd have much less need of a weight-loss support board. I'd think there wouldn't be many people at all checking in here regularly if they're not actually trying to lose anymore.

I guess I never thought of it that way, but you're right. Makes me feel a little better. :):)

I don't really like the board as a 'support' forum, because they aren't very nice to people who aren't doing well with the band, but if you go to obesityhelp.com's Lapband forum, there are a number of people who are at goal and stay on that site.

Thanks everyone. I kind of wondered if people stopped coming once they were at goal. I guess it's a completely different phase in life and needs will be different as well. I had it in my mind that this would be an ongoing thing, which would require ongoing support. Do we just get there and stay there, and thats it? *laughs* I know, sounds like an odd question. But I've never been there and stayed there before, I think I'm looking for some sort of assurance (not a promise, perhaps just hope) of really being able to just live out my life with a trim, healthy body.

In my "real time" support group, the people who are at goal are the ones who attend the least. They still show up at the dinners once in a while, but not nearly as often as the rest of us.

What about LaMadam? She is around 10 pounds away.

And coffeewrench has lost -150 and weighs in around 159 pounds. Thats impressive.

And what about MuffinBirdie - (I copied this from her profile) Banded July 4th, 2001 - Started 250 lbs / Ended 125 lbs.

She is like a size 2. Can you imagine being a size 2?

This is a great thread Susan. Ive thought about the same thing many times. Its refeshing to see one's stat's be right around their goal weight.

"I think I can... I think I can... I think I can..."