Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excessive PB-ing on purpose

Joyce, I am a recovering bulimic I am in no way cured I fight the urge to purge everytime I eat anything! I want to say how proud I am of you that you opened uo your heart and shared your experiece.

With that being said let's get REAL about a few thing I know about for sure. If you continue purging, you will loose your band...no if's and's or butt's about it! So if your going to continue just see your Dr and have that puppy taken out now!

But in addition you will also loose alot of your physical beauty. Your skin becomes scaly,wrinkles easily and gets a kind of grey color from the dehydration you constantly suffer. This is pretty..you will loose your teeth, not all at once, they slowly rott out from the acid in the vomit you bring up daily into your mouth. Your hair no longer has any shine and thins soo bad you think you are going to go totaly bald....and you might! Your lips stay dry and cracked and no matter how much you brush or gargle you will have the worst breath ever...because you damaged the PH balance in your mouth! Those are just a few of the things to appeal to your vanity. The cold hard truth is if you do not stop purging you will damage vital organs like your heart, liver and your electrolyte system which all can lead to your death. There I said it!! I do not think anyone else has and it needed to be done! You need to seek help NOW! It does not matter how much you think you can stop on your own.....you won't! Been there...doing that! This is a cunning deadly disease that has it's hooks firmly planted in you and you need professional help. I know all too well how hard it is and my heart aches for you. If I could take the first step for you I would! But you must decide it has to stop. Do not let the MONSTER do to you what it did to me! Stop purging NOW!!!! May God Bless You And Guide You.

Joyce, I went back and read my first post to you and I would do it a little different given the chance. I did not mean to preach or lecture to you.

I am sorry that it was soo dark and intense! It just that I am so sad and angry when I hear the disease is latching onto someone else! I feel like I am on a crusade fighting it tooth and nail! Everthing I said in the post was true...I just wish I would have sugar coated it a little for you. Forgive me for not doing this before.

Joyce Burg

I was saddened to hear of your current difficulties/challenges...if you ever want someone to chat to...track me down you can PM/Email/MSN or whatever...I am here for you if you want to chat.

Best wishes

Becky :xena_banana:

PBing on purpose is the ticket to slippage!!! Plain and simple! For those of you who do it. Stop! Are you crazy to risk losing your band like that! Chrerish this tool you are fortunate to have. Use it wisely! It makes me sad to read that you people are doing this on purpose. Did your doctors not tell you the risks of pbing often???

I think newly banded patients should read this thread. PBing is not to be taken lightly and should be understood early on in the journey!

Do not take PBing lightly, it is very seriouse if done over an extended period of time! It can cause you to damage your band so badly it must be removed! Everyone has a PB now and then but if they become frequent you MUST see your Dr. Needless to say if you have read this thread you know I feel to self induce a PB is flirting with disaster!

Please listen to everyone in these posts! I am here to tell you that PB'ing all the time will cause you to lose your band. I am proof! As much as I hate to advertise my stupidity, I am on my second band now because my first band slipped. I am assuming it slipped because I PB'd all the time. That was a $15,000 lesson for me!

the only time i have pb'd on purspose is to get it over with - a few times i've taken a sip/small gulp of drink to make it come up - as I know it will eventually and I hate to suffer. HOWEVER, the last time i did this i threw up violently and was sore for all night and on liquids for almost two days to let everything rest. SO i don't recommend it but i did do it. otherwise i hate to pb and hate throwing up though i've noticed i can do it now pretty good - thank goodness i didn't know this before - i had such an aversion to throwing up i've only done it 3 times in my life (before surgery) now - i'm afraid without the band i COULD be bulimic - please do try to get some help as throwing up is a sure cause of slippage etc. I'm thankful everyday i still have this dumb band - esp with all the throwing up i've done. I guess my doc stiched that thing in pretty darn good.

This thread has been VERY helpful to me. I am not banded yet. But it is topics like this, where I hear from real people who I can really relate to that have made me really, really AWARE of all of the aspects of the band.

It is one thing to read in a pamphlet, avoid productive burping. It does not have the impact of these threads. To see what other people struggle with emotionally and physically really makes me feel supported --- and prepared.

So thanks to Joyce for posting about something a lot of people have done or think about doing... and thanks to all the responders who explain it all in a very respectful and impactful way.

Joyce

Please be careful. I caused my band to slip by intentional PBing. I think it is bulimia. It is an eating disorder. Now I have changed to anorexia to try and fight the battle. It was so hard to admit to my Dr. He was understanding. I guess we wouldn't have got so big if we weren't so screwed up with our eating.

Joyce

Please be careful. I caused my band to slip by intentional PBing. I think it is bulimia. It is an eating disorder. Now I have changed to anorexia to try and fight the battle. It was so hard to admit to my Dr. He was understanding. I guess we wouldn't have got so big if we weren't so screwed up with our eating.

:(Talk about going from the frying pan into the fire!!! What do you mean you have changed to anorexia? I do not mean to be rude ...BUT HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND? It is not like switching toothpastes! You do not just decide to switch an eating disorder. For your information Anorexia , that you so casualy speak of , will kill you faster than bulimia! The disease is killing thousands as we sit here! I may catch grief for what i am about to say but so what it would not be the first time.

I do not think you know what you're talking about! I think your just using the word anorexia for the impact it creates...in other words to get attention. That makes me angry when you play around with such a deadly disease that soo many people ARE actualy suffering with not to mention dying from! I hope what I am saying is true for you...that you do not know what your talking about! FYI... I lost my best friend to anorexia 3 yrs ago and I would not wish this disease on anyone!!! That is why I am soo passionate about this! So I truly hope you do not know what your saying. If you do and are actualy sick...God help you! You need to be in a treatment clinic where you can get the love and care you need. But it is my gutt feeling just by reading your words that... thank goodness is not the case. Next time think before you throw the word Anorexia around..especialy when it comes to saying you chose to have it! Good Luck to you.

Yes my diagnosis has changed to anorexia. How dare you question me!! I could scan the official papers to show you if you wanted me to prove it. I didn't use the word to get attention. I didn't use the word myself. My dr used if first last week. I have a skim milk latte for Breakfast and then I eat a meal every third day or so when i am with company (I live alone). I thought because I had a normal bmi that I was ok. but the drs are freaking out because I am not eating. I can't see what the problem is. I think I have the right to look normal. I am arguing with my therapist that i have a right to be a normal weight.

just for your info I would never have used the word anorexia for such a fat cow as me. I have a bmi of 24. I thought you had to have a bmi of like 13 to be anorexic. But I am not eating and the Drs and my therapist are freaking out

I just want to be normal. But to be normal I have to starve myself. I would like to be about 143 pounds, I am currently about 148 pounds. My health care team are freaking out because i am starving myself to reach my goals. I think that I have always struggled with eating disordered behaviour and this is just another manifestation of it. I don't know how to just have a normal relationship with food. I fluctuate though.... sometimes though I will be bulimic then I will regain control and restrict.