Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Has Had The Band Done At Nyu?

I have got a ton of questions. I need all the info I can get! :) Thanks guys.

I had my band done at NYU with Dr. Schwack on March 23rd. What are your questions??? Hopefully, I can answer some of them for you. I'm still a newbie myself.

Ah yay thanks :) I was wondering how long the whole process is at NYU from after the Seminar to the date of your surgury? What was the whole process like? And did your insurance cover it?

I got the band with Dr Fielding on April 18th... GREAT experience. I love them. He's a rockstar. The nutritionist, Despina, is a sweetheart and answers all my questions via email (though I don't take advantage as much as I probably could)... In general I'm a huge fan...

The whole process from start (info session) to end was about 3 months. It took longer because I had to find a good time to do the surgery with work, but I probably could have done the whole thing within 2 months...

My insurance covered it. Everyone there is awesome. Laura has been doing my fills, she's lovely...

And my scars are PERFECT!! The neatest, tidiest little lines you've ever seen.

What else do you want to know? happy to answer any questions.... Have you picked a doctor?

I got the band with Dr Fielding on April 18th... GREAT experience. I love them. He's a rockstar. The nutritionist' date=' Despina, is a sweetheart and answers all my questions via email (though I don't take advantage as much as I probably could)... In general I'm a huge fan...

The whole process from start (info session) to end was about 3 months. It took longer because I had to find a good time to do the surgery with work, but I probably could have done the whole thing within 2 months...

My insurance covered it. Everyone there is awesome. Laura has been doing my fills, she's lovely...

And my scars are PERFECT!! The neatest, tidiest little lines you've ever seen.

What else do you want to know? happy to answer any questions.... Have you picked a doctor?[/quote']

Hi Sasha, I sent u a private msg with mu questions, not too sure if you receieved it :)

Oh, no! No private message came through. Try again?

Oh' date=' no! No private message came through. Try again?[/quote']

Can you send me your email? Its prob. easier that way...the msg doesnt seem to send :( mine is ac04118@gmail.com

Dr. Christine Ren-Fielding was my Lap Band surgeon at NYU. All the surgeons in the practice are first class. Best of luck and don't worry, you're in great hands!

The process was pretty smooth for me as well. Went to the seminar and my appt was about two weeks later. Dr. Schwack was ready whenever I was to book my surgery. Unfortunately I had to wait b/c my ins (UHC) had an annoying 6 months diet supervision I had to submit myself thru first. And then I figured I'd just wait till after the holidays. I ended up switching to Oxford ins b/c it had no patient out of pocket responsibilities. Unlike UHC which had a 20% responsibilities. However, having become eff. 1/1/12 the Oxford required 60 days on the policy b4 they'd approve it...Which led me into March. But believe me the time flew anyway. N it was way worth it to wait a few months and have it fully covered. Surgery was a success. Was the first patient and was good to leave around 6pm the same day. The staff is really nice at NYU. My nutrionist is also Despina and I too haven't taken full advantage of her services. I was getting my fills done with Nurse Frank but now that I'm no longer post-op I've have to have them done by Dr. Schwack or Laura (which I haven't met) also. So far everything has been great and I really trust and am happy with NYU. Good luck!!!

Hey guys, so I made my appt for July 31st!!!!! Super excited! I get to meet the nurse, nutritionist Despina, and Dr. Fielding! I have Aetna so I think I will have to do a monitored 3 month diet for insurance unfortunitly :( How do you guys like the band so far? How much have you all lost since the procedure? What do all of your scars look like? Is anyone puking up food, eekkk?! What was the frist appt like for everyone? I know I am full of questions but the more info the better.... How much pain was everyone in after? Thanks guys for all of your help! :)

a pleasure...

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You will love Despina and Dr. Fielding. I'm a little in love with him. hehehe. It's been a great experience for me.

I was banded April 18th and have lost 36lbs so far... My scars are PERFECT little lines, totally neat and straight, and quickly disappearing.

The postop healing period was harder than I expected, but living with the band has been much easier than expected. I can eat a small plate of food at a time. The other night I had roast chicken, mashed potatoes and broccoli... The other day at work I had Chipotle at lunch. I can pretty much eat anything and I've only thrown up once (which was because I didn't chew something enough). I try to do Protein first, then fruit/veggies, then carbs. Sometimes I don't do that. I take my Vitamins every day. I've cut my medications in half, and I've gone down 2 pants sizes... The hardest part has been not drinking with meals. But everything else is great.