Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone lost weight but not pant sizes?

Am I going crazy.... I have lost over 30lbs so far but my clothes all fit the same. I go to the gym 5 or more times a week and I know my muscles are growing. But I am not loosing any of my stomach which is where most of my weight is. Does anyone have an explination for me? Or had the similar problem?:help:

Its so frustrating isnt it. I've finally got down to a normal store size 18 (which is a US 16), not the fat shop 18. But its taken me 15kg to do it (over 30lb).

The more overweight you are, the more fat you have on places like hands, face, neck, feet and arms which dont really affect your clothing size. And its often the last fat to have gone on which seems to mean its the first to come off. Plus it just makes less difference to your overall frame. My half marathon running sister loses 2kg and her clothes fall off her.

As you lose more and become thinner, it will take less weight lost to go down a clothing size. You will get to the point where 10lb will take you down a size.

I also think for me personally because I'm so tall, it's spread out better and it doesnt make as much difference when I lose it - the other side of "carrying your weight well".

Hi bandtastic ~ I am preband, but I can tell you that last year I went on the Optifast program and lost 32 lbs. I only went down one pants size. :phanvan I've always been pretty solid even though I'm very overweight. Does that make sense? Sorry I'm not offering advice, but I do understand where your coming from. Perhaps someone here can offer a solution. In the meantime hang in there and be PROUD of your weight loss....that is quite an accomplishment!!! :clap2: Hats off to you!!! :yo:

Some places on the body tend to hang on to the weight longer as other parts get thinner faster. It's odd. My husband and I have lost almost the same amount of weight (he passed me by 2 pounds last week, the dirty rotten stinker! LOL) and he's down from size 50 pants to 44s! Me? Im down from 24s to 22s. Why? Well, Im still over 100 pounds from my goal weight, and he's only about 50 from his. Makes a big difference, just like Jachut said. Hang in there, keep doing the right things, try to be patient, focus on the success so far.. and the rest WILL fall into place. How can it not? :confused:

you might be loosing it from all over your body and if your clothes were tight before hand you might not notice it as much, my tummy was slower so that would stop me going down a size even though it was big around the legs

sandra.........

Yep, I carry most of my weight around the belly and thats the last thing to go down, so my pants are still the same 30+ lbs later. Seems I lose every where else first. Hang in there :confused:

Yes! I was shocked when I tried on my pants having lost 17.4 pounds and they were not one bit looser! I attribute this to the majority of my weight being Water weight lost from inside my body, and some loss from my face, hands, and feet instead of actually fat from my legs. My legs are the biggest and therefor will be the last to go. I do notice my shirts are a tiny bit looser, but that's it. I was expecting to be down almost two sizes because I read somewhere that every 10 pounds is one size, and I was really shocked when my pants fit as tight as ever! Also, I haven't done any exercise so there's no muscle to make me smaller. Ah well, it will all come with time :confused:

I have lost 52 pounds and only gone down 1 pants size. I try to console myself by saying I must be losing it elsewhere -- unfortunately I am only down 1 bra size and 1 shirt size too. I feel so much smaller, but honestly unless I'm naked I'm not even sure you can tell I've lost weight. Maybe with the next 50?????????????????

its very frustrating isnt it, dont forget that you also have a lot of internal fat around heart, liver kidneys stomach ect and that goes without a nanoinch leaving the hips or bust or waist

ive found that it has come off places I didnt know I had places, head ??? lost 4" around my head-- back of neck, feet gone down 2 sizes (yipee)

and in a whole year and over 100lbs gone ive only lost 10" off my bust !!!

rule of thumb if you want it to come off a certain place sure as hec it will be the last to go.

YOU ALL ROCK!! Thank you I do feel so much better. I will keep going of course and I feel a hell of alot better. I just can't wait to fit into some "cute" clothes. I do have alot of weight to loose, these responses were GREAT!

Hi Bandtastic,

Many months ago I had the privledge of being with about 7 other bandsters. One of the things we talked about was that a few of us had problems with our pants being tight in the waist and big in the legs. So, Im thinking this is a commen complaint!

Even at my 60 something pound weight loss, I still have problems finding pants (jeans) that fit "right". Since Im big busted, Im not as concerned with my shirts.

But my pants are a BIG issue for me!

I know it can be discouraging, but you have fat in places you can't see, like around your internal organs.

Something I have noticed is that I am either losing pounds or inches, but usually not at the same time. I will stay at one weight for a couple weeks and people comment on how much I've lost because of losing inches then I drop 10lbs really fast.

Don't give up!!

Pull out the measuring tape. I too was frustrated until I realized I was losing inches.

mock ye not!! I had a 26" head measurement, hats were out of the question !! now its just under 22" and I can wear a hat !!

not that I want to but its nice to know I can if I so wish

ha ha ha