Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never Been So Fat :-(

Hi folks

Found this site whilst browsing lap band procedures out of desperation.

I'm Kim, 46, live in Southampton, and I've never had a weight problem until I had a number of gynae related problems then a partial hysterectomy in 2007 then the rest out in 2011. Been on HRT since then and by weight has balloned. I am only 5 feet 1 so every stone makes me look like a hippo.

Seeing photographs of me recently has made be so depressed, no matter how little I eat nothing seems to make a difference. I have been on a low calorie liquid diet for a few weeks now and haven't lost a pound; I feel something is quite wrong with my metabolism but my GP says just eat less and move move more.

The moving thing would be easy except I have a disability, chronic asthma and cannot walk very far without excrutiating pain in my feet. I suffer from calcified tendons which can happen at any time, at the moment I have calcific achilles tendons and can barely walk more than 5 paces without having to stop and also have calcific tendonitis in my shoulders which prevent me from swimming.

A few years ago I could swim 100 lenghts of my local pool in 90 mins, today I would be lucky to manage one :-(

I know that loosing weight would help my physical conditions and improve my general wellbeing but as I can't exercise I am on a road to nowhere. It seems a gastric band is my only hope to restrict my food intake to a bare minimum. What upsets me is that I am not a massive eater anyway, never eat bread, don't like sweets, rarely eat chocolate, and have cut my alcohol intake to a few social glasses of wine at the weekends. I don't know what has made me put on so much weight but it seems that nothing I do works to resolve the weight problems.

I am going to look into going to Belgium for the surgery, there seems to be a lot of people that have chose this option. Can anyone point me in the right direction here ? I know there are many posts on this and the particular surgeon but to save me hours wading through them is there a quick bullet point list on how to contact said Surgeon, make the arrangements, what to expect etc ?

Thanks for letting me having a rant....feel a bit better now :-)

Have a great weekend

K x

Sorry I can not help you on the Belgium surgery.

Many medications can make you can weight.

Have you and your doctor tried to figure out if it is one of your medications?

My daughter gained 90 lbs on a medication and after she stopped taking it the weight slowly came back off.

Just thought I would mention it.

I would serious talk to your doctor and if that doesn't help find a different doctor that will listen. Before taking such a huge step I would really try and rule out other issues first. The band is a great tool...don't get me wrong as I am 7 weeks now post op but it isn't the only answer...it is a life style change as well. I went to Healthier Weight in Birmingham. Great people and no pressure. First though just make sure you don't have something else going on. I didn't think I ate a lot either but this band has proven me wrong. Nibbling was my demon that came along with stress eating. Take care and I hope you find some answers.

First off, if your doctor won't take your concerns seriously, you need to find a new doctor. There are many medical issues that can cause you to gain weight, including medications and thyroid problems. You really need a full blood work up to rule out anything medically related before having weight loss surgery.

You mentioned having a hard time with movement due to disability. I understand this completely. I am also disabled. I have Multiple Sclerosis. While I can walk and such, sometimes it's a struggle and very often results in considerable pain in my legs and feet. Because of that, my exercise isn't like most others' here. My exercise is mostly walking a little more all the time.

I will say this though, I feel SO much better since losing weight. I still have a long ways to go, but oh my gosh, I honestly feel better than I have in over a decade. Losing weight can't make my disability go away but it sure as heck has helped me to better cope with it a lot.

Best wishes to you on whatever you choose.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches