Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hbo Weight Of The Nation

Has anybody else seen it? My sister suggested I watch this documentary about the obesity problem. Its been soooo enlightening but now I'm a little torn. I'm still "pre-op" and praying for August to get here. But Yolanda in Part 2 said something that really spoke to me. She said "People want to hear that quick fix.People don't want to hear eat more fruits and vegetables, lean food and less fried food. Nobody wants to hear it. Its like a boring story, no action. Its not a thriller." I'm I expecting surgery to be my quick fix?

Well then your expectations are not going to be met. A band is not a magic wand. It is a tool that helps you with your hunger so that it is easier for you to stick to a healthy diet. It doesn't make the choices for you, it doesn't stop you putting junk food in your mouth and it won't make you exercise.

I suggest you do a bit more research of what to expect before you go ahead with your surgery.

I read somewhere on the internet that "the band is like power steering". You are still in control of your food choices and activity levels.

If you are willing to make better choices (lean Proteins, fruits, veggies), and add activity to your day, the band will help you to feel satisfied with reasonable portions. You will lose weight.

If you decide to eat garbage (ice cream, chips, high fat foods) and don't increase your activity, you won't be successful with the band.

I read somewhere on the internet that "the band is like power steering". You are still in control of your food choices and activity levels.

Thanks Dulci, I like that. I'm making good choices now every day at almost every meal. I'm eating like I'm banded already. It would be great just to keep doing what I'm doing and not have surgery. But I have to be realistic because I've had my eye on the ball before. Whenever I loose the fine point concentration...well...here's how that worked for me.

The band can be the rumble strip that wakes me up and prevents me from a head on collision. Really digging the driving analogy!

I had a friend that had lapband surgery, lost only 40 pounds and gained it back. She is at the same weight she was pre surgery. I almost backed out of my surgery because I was afraid I would be like her. I made up my mind to do what doctor told me and I am a success. I just past my 2 year mark and have lost 94 pounds. This is a great tool but if not used properly, it does not work.

The Weight of a Nation is an awesome documentary! I have watched the first three parts and I have started the the fourth. I have learned so much. If you have an iPod/iPad/iPhone the whole series is available fo free in iTunes so you can watch it on the go. I am also Pre-op and I have been asking myself the same thing (if I'm looking for a quick fix). I know that this is going to be a complete lifestyle change and I'm ready for that.

First off the HBO documentary is wonderful. It really is enlightening and quite sad to see what the future might hold for the children. I have watched it several times just to keep the motivation.

It has just motivated me more for the surgery. After talking to several people who have had the surgery some more successful than others - they all say that they would do it again and that you have to change your habits and your mind set. This is NOT a cure, but a tool to help. I love the power steering reference - perfect.

I am having surgery on the 15th and my mind has been going 90 to nothing for weeks now.

Now I remember why I started this thread. Let's get back on task. The information is staggering but well presented. Youtube and hbo.com have it if you don't have itunes. I've watched it multiple times also.

I never realized there was a name for the dark ring around my neck. Acanthosis! I remember being 9 years old and my father trying to scrub it off. He thought it was dirt. I just assumed that my dark underarms were a bad reaction to an antiperspirant. Acanthosis!

I've had acanthosis for 30 years. I go to the doctor and dentist regularly. I have health insurance and a good job. I've had ekgs and a major surgery. I've even been to nursing school. Why did I find out from HBO!