Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Was band 4-24-12 at Uc Davis in sac .ca. Was 300 lbs now 275 lbs. have no fills , next app isn't till July . I asked the doctor about getting a fill because if being hungry all the time. And they told me that they don't like to do fills , unless they have too. And that they won't even consider me for s fill unless I have 2 mos food records and probe that I need one , and then it's still up to them wheather I get s fill or not . I have 2 mos food records . But July seems so far away , mean while I'm struggling to not gain wieght and drink loots of Water for hunger pains . Is this normal? I thought that u get the bsnd and u get fills to help the bsnd Nd you, I didnt know that I get the. Snd and your done . No fills at all. I thought about looking for a diff doctor , that would talk to me and do the fills , also one that is closer to where I live, in great gridley , ca. I heard there is one in Chico. Last time I saw the doctor I left feeling shamed and a failure it was my 2 week after operation app to have staples pulled . I had list 18 lbs And was told that I wasn't losing fast because I was doing something wrong with my eating habits , like not staying with liq then purée diets . But I did stick to the diets , I too wish I would lose more and faster . And that's when I ask Bout getting s fill because I was starving , they said drink more water and inform me that they try not to do fills if they can get away with it. Now I'm wondering what the heck!?!? What? Why? I'm starving and I feel like I did before the band except for my booboo hurting and feeling the port against my ribs . Why did I have this done?what have I allowed them to do to me ? Help? Is this a normAl? Not to get fills? An I being a baby and wanting more then I'm supose to have? Am I expecting to much, I just want some restriction , to not feel like I'm starving Nd my feel my stomach eating my back bone from hunger. Should I find another doctor that will do the fills?

If your Dr is already so unsupportive, then I would consider finding a new one. Be aware that if you have insurance, you may be limited to who you can see.

As for the fills, some Dr's do wait 6-8 weeks to do the first fill, so it's not uncommon. I would be more concerned that they pointed the finger at you- 18 pounds is great!

Most docs won't see you if you didn't have your surgery with them. But look around, some do and you just have to find the right one. The attitude your doctor has seems out of character? You've lost a lot of weight and don't let them tell you different. Sometimes you have to be very aggressive with some of these docs. They get this God complex you know? Demand a fill if they say no. Call them up and tell them you want an appointment in the next two weeks. All they can do is say no.

tmf

I agree with the above 2 posters .. i would seriously start looking for a new doctor who will do fills for you and i would also demand a fill from your current doctor .. the band was specifically designed to be filled and if they are refusing to fill you then they really shouldnt be banding anyone to be honest, You need to question this policy and ask them for a copy of the research they are basing this medical decision on. I would then complain to the insurance company paying your bill that this operation was done under false pretences etc ...

good luck u have done great on yopur own but darn it i think u deserve a fiil !

Was band 4-24-12 at Uc Davis in sac .ca. Was 300 lbs now 275 lbs. have no fills , next app isn't till July . I asked the doctor about getting a fill because if being hungry all the time. And they told me that they don't like to do fills , unless they have too. And that they won't even consider me for s fill unless I have 2 mos food records and probe that I need one , and then it's still up to them wheather I get s fill or not . I have 2 mos food records . But July seems so far away , mean while I'm struggling to not gain wieght and drink loots of Water for hunger pains . Is this normal? I thought that u get the bsnd and u get fills to help the bsnd Nd you, I didnt know that I get the. Snd and your done . No fills at all. I thought about looking for a diff doctor , that would talk to me and do the fills , also one that is closer to where I live, in great gridley , ca. I heard there is one in Chico. Last time I saw the doctor I left feeling shamed and a failure it was my 2 week after operation app to have staples pulled . I had list 18 lbs And was told that I wasn't losing fast because I was doing something wrong with my eating habits , like not staying with liq then purée diets . But I did stick to the diets , I too wish I would lose more and faster . And that's when I ask Bout getting s fill because I was starving , they said drink more Water and inform me that they try not to do fills if they can get away with it. Now I'm wondering what the heck!?!? What? Why? I'm starving and I feel like I did before the band except for my booboo hurting and feeling the port against my ribs . Why did I have this done?what have I allowed them to do to me ? Help? Is this a normAl? Not to get fills? An I being a baby and wanting more then I'm supose to have? Am I expecting to much, I just want some restriction , to not feel like I'm starving Nd my feel my stomach eating my back bone from hunger. Should I find another doctor that will do the fills?

I as of now have no experience with fills...and you and I were banded on the same day. I had some medical complications which delayed my first fill.

I can write about your concerns about the lack of communication with your doctor...I am an advocate of the patient taking a very proactive role in their health issues. If you have a doctor who does not have the time or does not make an effort to provide you with answers to your questions or concerns, then it is time to locate a doctor who will.

As for a surgeon who does not incorporate the use of band restriction as part of the treatment plan for their patients, I have never heard of anything like that before.

It's important to remember that you are paying your surgeon for his expertise in the field; they are not donating their services to you. As an informed consumer, you have a right to have your questions answered, and your concerns addressed. If the practice gives you the "brush off", they are not providing you with the standard of medical care you have the right to expect. And I would be looking for another doctor.

I agree with all of the above. Just a few weeks ago, I read of someone else having the same exact issue. What the heck is the band for if they're not going to fill it? Just an internal stomach decoration? I think not. Sounds to me like they just wanted to make the $$ off the surgery and don't care about after-care. Call them. God bless you! (and congrats on the 25 pounds!)

The posters above all offer wise words. Sojourner hit a very key point that too many seem to forget: Doctors work for you. You are the employer and they are employee. They're not helping you out of the goodness of their hearts, they're being paid big bucks for their services. If you are not happy with the care of your current surgeon- fire him and hire a new one. As both a patient and a consumer that is your right.

As for your doctor, that office makes no sense. The band was made to filled. That's why we have the nifty port under our skin with tubing leading to the band- to fill it! A band without restriction is useless!!!

Good luck to you.

Thank you all, I feel much better now , I will give my doctor another call , and also will start looking for another one . The doc I got now I've only meet about 3 times all the other app with the doctor I only saw the nurses, so it's really hard to talk to him personally , but he pretty much goes along with the nurses head nurses, what they recommend . And they told me , that in July if I don't have two mth food record that they will refuse to see me , even if I accidentally forget them , its a 1-1 half hour trip to sac , I'm not going to forget my food records . But her saying that and that it totally up to them weather I get any fills , I just assumed it was a given when u got the band . I didn't know I was haveing to earn the fill or kiss rear end to get on the nurse good side then hopefully pray that they will allow me a fill. But she said they try not to give fills , because it can cause complications , like infections, so they rather not do them, and even if I do the 2 mos food record kiss butt then they still may decide no fill, but yeh I will jump right on trying harder and positively will find a different doctor , maybe one that I get to talk to , lol. I just felt kind of like a herd of cattle , a group of people they gave dates to do the lap band and pushed us thur. My doctor after the operation came in and say my job is done that he was all done that's all he has to do with it now , that his job was done . And I remember thinking what? Wait a min what about fills and after care, now I understand , because when I do have app to see him , I still don't get to see him only the nurses. Lol

Thank you all, I feel much better now , I will give my doctor another call , and also will start looking for another one . The doc I got now I've only meet about 3 times all the other app with the doctor I only saw the nurses, so it's really hard to talk to him personally , but he pretty much goes along with the nurses head nurses, what they recommend . And they told me , that in July if I don't have two mth food record that they will refuse to see me , even if I accidentally forget them , its a 1-1 half hour trip to sac , I'm not going to forget my food records . But her saying that and that it totally up to them weather I get any fills , I just assumed it was a given when u got the band . I didn't know I was haveing to earn the fill or kiss rear end to get on the nurse good side then hopefully pray that they will allow me a fill. But she said they try not to give fills , because it can cause complications , like infections, so they rather not do them, and even if I do the 2 mos food record kiss butt then they still may decide no fill, but yeh I will jump right on trying harder and positively will find a different doctor , maybe one that I get to talk to , lol. I just felt kind of like a herd of cattle , a group of people they gave dates to do the lap band and pushed us thur. My doctor after the operation came in and say my job is done that he was all done that's all he has to do with it now , that his job was done . And I remember thinking what? Wait a min what about fills and after care, now I understand , because when I do have app to see him , I still don't get to see him only the nurses. Lol

I also have never read of a medical practice which required a patient to keep a food record or journal. This seems excessive and unnecessary.

The State of Florida has a web site powered by the Florida Dept of Health; called MQA (for Medical Quality Assurance); you can look up the official record of any medical licensed professional in the state to find out if they have had any complaints, official discipline from their medical board, or judgments rendered against them for the past 10 years. I use this site often to help me choose doctors. Check to see if your state has a similar site...and stay clear of professionals who have faced discipline or have judgments on record.