Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Puberty?

Great responses gals! I knew Id get some good info here.

Jenna, you busted me up. Slumber stuff is for me. But I did look into getting a book, not so much for Rox but for me. I’m a detail freak and have to get my facts right. I don’t think I’ll be sharing books with her just yet, unless I get good graphics?

Aways be honest, even if you have to use clever wording.
I'm tring Paula, I did read before you edited? And timing is everything for instance, about 2 years ago Rox and I were wishing on a chicken wish bone and I won. She asked what I wished for but I told her I can’t tell you or my wish won’t come true but I said a long time ago I wished for you and my wish came true. Her reply “ya daddy planted the seed, did you swallow it?” well I thought for a moment and said yes. Because if I would have said no I’d have to explain, and I didn’t think she was quite ready.

We do talk and a few things have happen that are interesting. She was watching Spiderman when the 2 on the movie kissed she said to me I feel tingles in my bottom. I said that’s kind of what love feels like…

One time I directed her to take a shower, when she undressed I noticed little stickers on her nipples; I chuckled and asked what were they doing there? She was very apologetic but I was more interested in where, why, who, did she get this idea from, she claimed nowhere.

I don’t what to seem like anything is wrong or even bad, just aware.

DD is big girl, is yours? She is almost 5', weighs 155, wears a size 8 women's shoe...my DH is 6'4".

Have you had to buy bras yet? I have DD wearing sport bras for the time being, it's hard to find "training bras" for a 40A! LOL!

We'll get through this, but like you, I can hardly believe it's happening so young!

Cindy sorry to hear about her painful pelvic area, I hope she's alright.

Rox is about 77 lbs. and a training bra might be in the near future, I like the sports bra idea.

my mother threw a book at me. Which was better than my younger sister. She just threw a box of pads at her and told her she would need them. (no explanation given.)

Bummer learning about life Vines; I felt a bit the same way. I knew from school that a girl gets her period but it didn’t sink in. Then one day my sister and I were at the park and I needed to go to the restroom. Well I was in shock I came out of the bathroom and told my sister that there was blood coming out of me and she laughed and laughed then practically told the world I got my period.

Most of the time she just says... EWWWWWWW... why would two people want to do that!!!???!!!???

Darcy, I can remember my niece screaming EEEWWW when her mom was telling her were it go’s many years ago... and now shes 5 monthes pregnant. I like the animal approach especially giving birth.

Thanks for the book ideas.

Rox and I spend alot of time together, I think she'll take it well

AFter raising my three girls and my son I can offer this sage advice. Grin and bear it. LOL!!!

I was taking my Nursing classes during a time when the girls were beginning to go through Puberty. My son was barely 3. When they began to show an interest I flipped to the Reproductive Section of my Anatomy book. I showed the girls the pictures and then showed where on their bodies the same place was. CLOTHED of course. LOL!!!

All of my children have either helped me bathe or change Bradley's diapers so they know the anatomy of a male. I explained the differences between the sexes using both slang and technical terms. This way they know what someone is saying to them.

It is never an easy talk to have with your children but you can make it fun and less stressful. You should start by asking what they know as Lisa suggested. Then you can fill in the blanks. If they want to learn more then you are armed.

This is a time to teach your child how to be honest and secure in your own skin.

I will be praying you have strength. I was scared to death. LOL!!!!! But it got easier as we talked and they asked questions.

Penni, your post reminds me of my mother - it's so great to be raised by a nurse! Those anatomy books are very helpful. One night in high school, my mother caught me sneaking through her textbooks again because my best friend was convinced that she had an STD. I think it ended up being a yeast infection.:faint:

I was talking to my sister about this today and she reminded me of something very funny:

When my sister was pregnant with her youngest (the girls are 16, 14, 12, and 7) the then 9 year old oldest asked where babies came from and my sister proceeded to explain the facts of life to her. When she was finished as the poor child could say was "You and dad did that 4 times??? it was priceless. ~Mandy

Vera,

Due to this thread, Ive found out that Marcus needs deodorant. :)

Thank you.

He thinks its funny.

I told him that the next thing to happen was to get hair there (pointing to his underarms) and there (pointing to the groin) - he's seen dad, so he knows whats next :).

The ONLY place he wants hair, is on his chest! LOL

I wish innocence could bottled.

Penni - you crack me up!

I NEVER thought about doing this...

I explained the differences between the sexes using both slang and technical terms. This way they know what someone is saying to them.

Thanks for the idea! Something else to make him giggle.

You are right about making it fun. EVERYTIME I bring up the fact that he is fixin to have "puff-pitts" - he starts sneakering.

I found if I got too technical with the explanations I lost them entirely. If I made a game out of it then they seemed to be more interested. I also reinforced that NO ONE was supposed to touch them anywhere on their body without their permission. If someone made them feel uncomfortable to leave the room or situation and find a trusted adult or someone to talk to about it.

I left the lines of communication open for any discussion regarding this type of situation. I was thankful I had because about 3 months after this talk my oldest was molested coming home from school one day by a class mate. She was able to tell the Police in detail description what happened and what the boy did to her. She was groped and fondled and felt scared so she ran to my Aunt's house which was on her way home from school then my Aunt called me and I ran to get her.

So along with the puberty talk comes the responsibility of discussing inappropriate touching as well. SIGH!! Too many demented people in this world.

Ok, here's a DON'T. I was pretty young when I started asking about sex (maybe 7). The first thing my mom said was "Do not put anything in your vagina, not even a pencil!" I had no idea what she was talking about and could never figure out why the hell she would think I would ever get the idea to ram a pencil up myself. I still don't know if she was trying to tell me not to masturbate or just not to injure myself. Either way, it was weird.