Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I am new here I have made up my mind and want to get banded... A little about me: 28yrs old a mother of a beautiful 3year old girl. I have had issues with my weight for about 11yrs now. I currently am at my highest weight ever (295). I am only 5'2.I was also diagnosed with Hypothyroidism ( aint helping my weight issue) & fatty liver ( due to my weight). I have spent all of my twenties not living and I want that to change! I want my confiedence back! I want to have the energy to play and do things with my daughter. I want to be HAPPY & HEALTHY!

I attended the WLS info session May 8th.

I called and verified with my insurance that the surgery would be covered. ( I have BCBS PPO of MA) the surgery is covered. YAY! Approval is another story.... :( I should be ok my BMI is sadly 54...

With my insurance I do not need a referral from my PCP so I have sceduled my 1st appt with the surgeon and that is on June 12th (I cant wait).

I wanted to from someone who has been through all of the pre op stuff what should I expect?

What happens at my 1st appointment?

I was also told b/c of my insurance I do not have to wait 6months- with that being the case roughly how long would I wait and what would I need to do if I dont have to do the 6month diet?

Any other info/tips on what to expect would be apprciated! :D

Thanks!

Congratulations on taking positive action to improve your health and quality of life.

The pre-op stuff varies tremendously depending on the patient's medical history and the surgeon's protocol, and how long it will take you to get to the operating room depends on how long it takes to do any pre-op tests & evaluations, and on how busy your surgeon's practice is. It took me about 4 months to get through all that, but I know people who've waited a lot longer and also know someone who was banded ony a week after her surgical consult.

At the first appointment, your surgeon will probably do a physical exam, discuss your medical history, and explain the surgical procedure.

You'll probably also have a nutritional consult with a dietitian and a psychological evaluation with a mental health professional (not to find out if you're crazy, but to establish that you understand what you're getting yourself into, can follow directions, and have a support system). If your insurance policy requires you to have an obesity-related health problems (co-morbidities), you'll need to have some blood tests, maybe a cardiac evaluation, maybe a pulmonary evaluation, maybe a sleep study. Also, the surgeon needs to make sure you're healthy enough to undergo surgery while anesthetized. I could go on and on, but those are the basics.

I was self pay as my insurance didnt cover the band (Aetna PPO) so I dont know how long your process will take but mine was 2 months from the time I went to my first appointment... did the Dr required evaluations, scheduled the surgery and did the 2 week liquid diet.

I can promise you... if you are committed... its worth every step! Just remember... the band will do 70% of the work. you have to do 30%.

Good luck!

I am going thru the same thing you are and I also have BCBS of MI but live in KY, my ex-husband's employer is MI based. However, my situation is a little different. My BCBS Cobra that I was awarded in the divorce will expire June 30th and they will pay for the Lap Band so I am trying to get everything taken care of now. Have had the Psych eval done, sleep study tonight, surgeon appt next Thursday and see dietitian June 14th. With that being said, the surgeon's nurse coordinator is aware of my insurance situation and is trying to rush things along and I am hoping to be banded by the end of June if not I will self pay as I do not want to wait months or another year and red tape of going thru another insurance company that I will pick up on my own July 1st. I do not know what to expect next week when I see my surgeon but I am excited. I knew the night of the seminar I wanted it done and even told my mom "I'm ready now, if he was working nights I'm ready for the O.R. now!!!" lol. Good luck on your journey.

I was self pay as my insurance didnt cover the band (Aetna PPO) so I dont know how long your process will take but mine was 2 months from the time I went to my first appointment... did the Dr required evaluations, scheduled the surgery and did the 2 week liquid diet.

I can promise you... if you are committed... its worth every step! Just remember... the band will do 70% of the work. you have to do 30%.

Good luck!

You look great by the way!!! I was wondering if you had any advice for me after I get banded. I have a, how do I put it, severe sweet tooth, I got it bad, and do not know how I will control it once I am banded. any suggestions? I want to work the program and eat healthy and get healthy. thx, Donna

I also had "severe sweet tooth." Once I was banded it left completely, and I have no desire for sweets. I don't know how common it is, but so very thankful it worked that way for me. The band has given me control...I can eat sensible, healthy meals and be satisfied, period. Here's my two cents: If you go into this adventure with your mind made up that you will succeed and failure is not an option, you'll do fine. Regular follow-up is crucial!

I have a, how do I put it, severe sweet tooth, I got it bad, and do not know how I will control it once I am banded. any suggestions? I want to work the program and eat healthy and get healthy. thx, Donna

I had to break the carb (sugar addiction) I went several weeks of depriving myself of the carbs untill finally I realized I wasn't craving them like I was before. For me, I stayed away completely from Desserts for several months. Now I will allow myself a day or two a month to eat something sweet. I have found now that I have broke the addiction sweet things I used to eat/drink now are TOO sweet...like mcdonalds sweet tea!!love it never thought that it was too sweat...now every now and then I will have one but I have them mix it with 1/3 sweet and 2/3 unsweet....and I'm good. Or when I have coffee I would use 4-5 real sugar packs....now 1 truvia and I'm good. I have also found when I eat something too rich...even a couple of bites it turns my stomach. But I have learned to like several Desserts that are low sugar/carb and I'm satisfied completely.

Thanks everyone! I love this site, great support. @ Mountainman, I hope I have as good a luck as you with my sweet tooth leaving me...and yes, I am very committed at staying on track, working the program and follow visits. This is my last resort at life and I am bound and determined to take and run. I have prayed and prayed for this time in my life and God has finally answered my prayers. I've been buying sugar free puddings etc. and things like that and I enjoy them now and sugar free popsicles and am looking at the band to be a tool for me to lose the weight. I can do this!!! With the help of my new friends on here. :)

I also had "severe sweet tooth." Once I was banded it left completely, and I have no desire for sweets. I don't know how common it is, but so very thankful it worked that way for me. The band has given me control...I can eat sensible, healthy meals and be satisfied, period. Here's my two cents: If you go into this adventure with your mind made up that you will succeed and failure is not an option, you'll do fine. Regular follow-up is crucial!

You're the first person I ever heard say that his band banished his sweet tooth! I know a lot of bandsters who still struggle with sweets years after being banded. When my band was at an optimal fill level, most foods just didn't taste so wonderful any more, but sweets still tasted pretty good!

Thanks everyone very helpful info! I am so glad I found this site!

For me it was along time before i met my surgeron as you had to go though a proccess before meet with the nurse and the dr in charge and nurtioist then they call you back to tell you the next step for me I started off in Juily and did not get my sugery untill April i was of course on the long end. I assume your in Ma as i am too. The program i went tought was very good i can not say enough wonderful things about the staff.

Hi pinks:) I to have BcBS but in PA. I also have a 3 year old :) but I'm 38 with 2 teenagers as well.

Was told surgery is covered too, waiting on approval. No 3/6 month needed per insurance but The hospital and surgeon im using require a 3 month 'diet' program- ive learned an amazing amount of info and a lot about me! Had a few 2 hour mertings sith Dieticians and Behavioral Specualist - theyve been awesome and have taught me how to change my bad habits and learn the 'new life' ahead of me!! Met with surg last Friday. We basically went over the program and procedure. He was awesome. I can't wait. My surg date is aug 15th fingerscroxxed :)) good luck to you. Add me as a friend if you like!