Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's wrong with Slim Fast?

Just wondered why we are not supposed to drink slim fast. and can we eat raisan bran at a later date?

The only thing that's wrong with Slim Fast is that it looks and tastes like liquid poo.

I didn't go through surgery to drink my meals, but if you like it, there's no reason not to drink it.

SOME doctors order it for the weeks or month before surgery. I used it post-operatively during the first two weeks of liquids ... It is good for the first few days after a tight fill.

HOWEVER, I use ONLY Slim-Fast Optima -- It is more expensive, has Nutrasweet and more Protein. Stays with you longer.

No liquid calories are the RULE for banded life. It's definitely not something to live on. But it's not unhealthy for you. More nutritious than Crystal Lite ... and not as much salt as broth and most Soups.

Theresa

I've tried Slim Fast as an occasional snack. It's not that bad, but boy does it give me the farts, can we say lactose intolerance?? TMI I know!

OH YES!!! I KNOW what you're talking about!! :)

But I got LactAid type tablets to chew (or you can throw them in the blender with it)....

but STILL had "that sort of problem" :phanvan

turns out, I'm very sensitive to Nutrasweet :tired

Theresa

I'm not lactose intolerant, milk, yogurt, ice cream all fine. But SlimFast does give me gas. So may be something else in it?? Fiber? ? But I like it OK, am on liquids for a few days after a fill so can't do solid food yet...soon.

Tessie slim fast has more sugar then other Protein drinks but that is why it taste good.:)

The only thing that's wrong with Slim Fast is that it looks and tastes like liquid poo.

I must like liquid poo..... LOL.... Try the optima capacchino, which I love, love, did I say love.....also the milk chocolate isn't bad.:clap2: The optima has less sugar but there is another one out with even less sugar but I haven't tasted that one yet.

I've tried Slim Fast as an occasional snack. It's not that bad, but boy does it give me the farts, can we say lactose intolerance?? TMI I know!

Carrie I am right there with you but I put a few drops of beno in my can and it really helps.:)

I was drinking Slim Fast Optima daily but it had too much sugar & carbs(24g), so I switched to the carb option and it was horrible....had me gagging. Now I drink Unjury and love love love it.:cheer2:

The nutrionist told me when we were discussing the liquid diet phase that slim fast was a no-no because of the sugar and/or calories. The Atkin's shakes provide more Protein and less sugar, and frankly, I like them better anyway. I think I'm had one slimfast shake in the last 10 years and it was - blech.

Online only at powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.com

I didnt like the sorbet, I havent tried the vanilla...the chocolate is what I'm addicted to.

My nutrionist said READ THE LABELS on all things you choose. Well, Slim fast is fine for the full liquid phase at my bariatric center. There are so many Slim Fast shakes you really do need to read the labels. I drink the Slim Fast Low Carb shake. It actually has more Protein and less sugar than the rest of the Slim Fast products...yes even the High Protein Slim Fast has less grams of protein (18) versus the Low Carb (20) so definately read your labels. The Low Carb one also uses Splenda for sweetner. I like the chocolate the best and no aftertaste to me.

I also have a powdered form of protein mix called AES Advantage in chocolate. I mix a small amount (maybe a tsp) of fat free sugar free banana pudding mix in with it and use skim milk. It's great that way and sometimes I had 1/2 tsp of Peanut Butter to it. Alone...yuck I don't like it but with the pudding mix or Peanut Butter it's great.

good luck

A hundred years ago, Slim Fast didn't give you the gas. That all started during the high fiber craze. I remember when the new formula came out because I wrote to ask why I was all bloated & farty, and they said they beefed up the fiber content.