Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diet Pills

Does anyone take diet pills while banded. I haven't had a fill yet, but I stay hungry a lot, I was thinking about taking a appetite suppressant.

Once you've had a couple fills and have good restriction, I doubt you'd need (or even want) diet pills. The band not only restricts how much you can eat but because of where it's placed on the stomach it also acts an appetite suppressant.

Granted this is my opinion only, but I personally would wait until you've had a couple fills to make a decision. Either way, definitely talk to your doctor before taking any diet pills, even over the counter, just to be safe.

I was told by my surgeon not to take diet pills in fact there was a clause in my paper work i had to sign saying i wouldnt take diet pills while banded..but of course all doctors seem to be different...good luck

i tried diet pills years ago for a week or so. they worked but also made me very depressed. talk to your dr first but lap band is a slow journey to get you to your healthy weight, and im thinking you have to go through bandster hell to get to your goal (bandster hell=being banded and not having restriction yet, so you're hungry alot. This will change once you get the proper fill) Good luck !

I have. I noticed I lost the same with or w/o them. I can lose up to 2lbs a day when I am following the LB rules, Water and exercise, eating 5 small Protein based meals to keep full. Try that and see if you can stay full thru the day even with the fill you have. Example Meal: I have

Brk- Mocha Latte shake

Lunch- Healthy Choice Meal minus the rice or Pasta

snack- Protein based smoothie- I make my self w/ hawaiian punch single(lemon lime), strawberries, soy vanilla protein 1/2-1 scoop, ice water blend.

Dinner- 3-4 oz Lean Protein, 1/4c Veggie, 1/4 c complex carb and if Im not to stuffed I have a Weight Watchers Dessert and hour later.

Drink you 80 -100 oz of water a day and you should be good.

I have 6.2 cc in my 10cc band and some days more or less restriction.

I would watch taking diet pills because most of them are very large and unless you crush them, you may get them stuck, plus they are not very tasty when you have to break them in half either. I know, I used to be a yo yo fanatic on pills trying to loose weight. They will also make you crash hard when you get off of them to, which usually means you will start craving again and go right back to bad habits because before you were dependent on them to supress that urge.

The whole point in getting the band is to train yourself to eat less, by measuring your food out and making smart food choices. It was never meant to be a miracle cure. I don't mean to sound harsh, because I know how frustrating it can be when you don't feel that it is helping you. It wasn't until last week when I finally got up to 6cc's that I noticed anything at all. The whole reason I have lost weight so far is because of self control, tracking my food and exercise and it wasn't easy by far. Now I understand what people mean by restrictions, before I wasn't sure what they meant exactly. Talk to your doctor and they will probably tell you to come in for a fill. I was told by my doctor that if you get a fill and it doesn't feel right, too much or too small if you get back in withing the week, there is no charge to fix it. Other doctors may be different but it's worth asking. Hang in there.

I had to sign something with my surgeon that i would not abuse diet pills while being banded, so i would say no, but everyone is different..good luck

I'm a new band member and I'm hungry. I'm taking natural saffron to curve my carb/sugar cravings and it helps with moods. I do notice a difference when I take it.

My Mom takes Slendesta, which works for her but not for everybody. She suggested I take it since its all natural made from an isolated potato Protein. I tried it when I first started trying to get my calories down from 2500 per day to about 1200 and it helped take the edge off until I got used to eating better and small protein packed meals. I take it every once in a while if I have a super hungry day, but I'm not banded yet either so that can make the difference. My surgery center has no opposition to trying something like that since it's all natural, but they don't want you dependent on something either. The doctor told me to use it only when I'm having a very hard time with hunger or wanting to snack on things. My biggest issues are chocolate, and cheese so it seems to help when I crave those things.