Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 3 After Surgery & Hungry

Hello! I just had my surgery on 4/18/12. I was in a lot of pain, but each day I see improvement, pain has subsided for the most part, just extremely sore, like i did a 1,000 sit-ups. I have been following my doc's plan, Protein Shakes, sf jello/popsicles, broth/cream of chicken. Well that was all fine these past days, i really didn't have an appetite until today. Can anyone give me some tips on controlling hunger pains? I just made my second shake today and decided to add less than half of a banana to it and used my blender, tasted good. But can still feel hunger. Also when does the extreme soreness go away? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post

Hello! I just had my surgery on 4/18/12. I was in a lot of pain, but each day I see improvement, pain has subsided for the most part, just extremely sore, like i did a 1,000 sit-ups. I have been following my doc's plan, Protein Shakes, sf jello/popsicles, broth/cream of chicken. Well that was all fine these past days, i really didn't have an appetite until today. Can anyone give me some tips on controlling hunger pains? I just made my second shake today and decided to add less than half of a banana to it and used my blender, tasted good. But can still feel hunger. Also when does the extreme soreness go away? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post

... have you been putting yughurt in your Protein shakes? ? i did right from the beginning and it made a difference to me.. there is extra protein in the yoghurt. i use Greek yoghurt. it seems to be the best. good luck. i know what its like to suffer those awful hunger pains, and i had them about four days out myself.

Hello! I just had my surgery on 4/18/12. I was in a lot of pain, but each day I see improvement, pain has subsided for the most part, just extremely sore, like i did a 1,000 sit-ups. I have been following my doc's plan, Protein shakes, sf jello/popsicles, broth/cream of chicken. Well that was all fine these past days, i really didn't have an appetite until today. Can anyone give me some tips on controlling hunger pains? I just made my second shake today and decided to add less than half of a banana to it and used my blender, tasted good. But can still feel hunger. Also when does the extreme soreness go away? Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post

I made all of my Protein Shakes with 1% milk from the first shake I had to this day. I struggled with drinking all of my fluids during that time of initial adjustment to my band. I was not hungry at that stage ( it took about 3 weeks for my hunger to return).

Now, hunger is my cue to drink some of the 60-80 of free fluids recommended every day. I rely on the hunger to remind me to drink Water, so I will not end up severely dehydrated again.

Every doctor seems to have some slight variations on their recommended initial post op diet. Did you meet with a dietitian yet? I was advised of what I could have during that meeting.

If you have not yet met with a dietitian, I believe it would be helpful if you did.

Hey thats pretty cool I just got my done on the same day. As far as the soreness? I have been dealing with it by taking to meds i was prescribed and rubbing a tiny but of icy hot around the wounds.. not close to them!but around the hot spots.. it does help a little. Hunger pains? yea Im stll dealing with that my self.

Hey thats pretty cool I just got my done on the same day. As far as the soreness? I have been dealing with it by taking to meds i was prescribed and rubbing a tiny but of icy hot around the wounds.. not close to them!but around the hot spots.. it does help a little. Hunger pains? yea Im stll dealing with that my self.

Hi Kristie, wow congratulations on your surgery, and very cool we had it on the same day, also glad to know i'm not the only one extremely sore and hungry on day 3 :) So how are you coping with the hunger? what have you been eating?

I made all of my Protein shakes with 1% milk from the first shake I had to this day. I struggled with drinking all of my fluids during that time of initial adjustment to my band. I was not hungry at that stage ( it took about 3 weeks for my hunger to return).

Now, hunger is my cue to drink some of the 60-80 of free fluids recommended every day. I rely on the hunger to remind me to drink Water, so I will not end up severely dehydrated again.

Every doctor seems to have some slight variations on their recommended initial post op diet. Did you meet with a dietitian yet? I was advised of what I could have during that meeting.

If you have not yet met with a dietitian, I believe it would be helpful if you did.

Thank you for your post, yes i have seen a dietitian and was advised, basically for the first 2 weeks, Protein Shakes, Jello, popsicles, broth and my doc gave me permission to add cream Soups. I know its a life style change, but still struggling with it, maybe its not real hunger pains? just so used to eating. How did you do with the rules? You said by wk 3 you started to get hungry, i believe wk3 is mashed foods? How did you do with that? What kinda mashed foods did you eat?

HI,IS ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVING NAUSEA,I HAD MINE DONE ON THURSDAY,I AM STARVING,HARD TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE AROUND EATING food UGHH.

HI' date='IS ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVING NAUSEA,I HAD MINE DONE ON THURSDAY,I AM STARVING,HARD TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE AROUND EATING food UGHH.[/quote']

Are you getting all of your free fluids? Fluids help to feel full, and nausea is often a symptom of dehydration. I chose to ignore my husband as he had his normal diet while I was still on liquids. We did not have meals at the same time, and he had to do all of his own meal preparation. I know this stage can be difficult, stay focused on your reward of a healthier you!

HI,IS ANYONE OUT THEIR HAVING NAUSEA,I HAD MINE DONE ON THURSDAY,I AM STARVING,HARD TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE AROUND EATING food UGHH.

Hi, I only had nausea right after my surgery. Its been 3 days for you and your still feeling nauseated? Are you drinking enough Water? Yea i know what you mean about hunger, and it must be really hard to see people around you eating. Its just me and my little son, he finally came home after family was kind enough to watch him, so i made his first meal yesterday, chicken strips and bread, and that is something i normally wouldn't even eat, but gosh it looked so good, i wanted to take a bite so bad, and thats when i started having hunger pains after seeing him eat "normal" food. So my recommendation is to leave the room when other people are eating, and follow other peoples comments on this post, hope this helps, good luck, i'm on the same boat with you, so we'll get through this :-)

I am post-op day 3 and I havent felt hungry hardly at all. Getting my Protein Shakes in and sipping on Water all day. Then I can have yogurt, broth, or sugar free popcycles twice a day. Those popcycles are so good. I like the cold on my throat. The doctor did tell me that he did put some liquid in the band during surgery. He has found that the patients need this to make it through the liquid stage.

Hello I also had my surgery on 4/18. Not too sore, but I have been hungry. Already tired of the Protein Shakes. I did not know we could eat cream Soups maybe this will help.

Hey Sunni, yea I have been eating cream of chicken, but have been getting a little sick of it as well. I actually had a a hardboiled egg smashed with a little bit of mayo. It went down fine, but kinda feel guilty? Thinking maybe I should stick to the plan, but I'm hungry and and thinking how hard this is going to be for 2 weeks

Thank you for your post, yes i have seen a dietitian and was advised, basically for the first 2 weeks, Protein shakes, Jello, popsicles, broth and my doc gave me permission to add cream Soups. I know its a life style change, but still struggling with it, maybe its not real hunger pains? just so used to eating. How did you do with the rules? You said by wk 3 you started to get hungry, i believe wk3 is mashed foods? How did you do with that? What kinda mashed foods did you eat?

Actually, I was advised to puree all of my food...I mostly had home made chicken salad and tuna salad from the blender. I recall having over cooked carrots(ok), sweet potatoes, cantaloupe(absolute best!), scrambled eggs(those were soft, and did not need to be pureed), baby food peaches and pears (no sugar added), and Protein Shakes usually 2 a day.

It's critical to get all of the Protein you should have every day, so I was careful to track this. I fell short every day, but I did enjoy my shakes.

I have never branched out to the different cream soups like some have; my doctor prohibited them as not having enough protein value for the amount of calories. Every doctor is a bit different with the diet they want you to follow. Mine seems to be more strict than most...no processed anything from the grocery store. Also advised to never eat anything which sugar is added to. Naturally occurring carbs are ok (like in fruit), but become a "label reader"; there are many hidden carbs that can derail your diet!

After being on a liquid diet for a month, any food, even pureed, was like a banquet! :) Hope this information helps...continued good luck with your journey!

Hi, I only had nausea right after my surgery. Its been 3 days for you and your still feeling nauseated? Are you drinking enough Water? Yea i know what you mean about hunger, and it must be really hard to see people around you eating. Its just me and my little son, he finally came home after family was kind enough to watch him, so i made his first meal yesterday, chicken strips and bread, and that is something i normally wouldn't even eat, but gosh it looked so good, i wanted to take a bite so bad, and thats when i started having hunger pains after seeing him eat "normal" food. So my recommendation is to leave the room when other people are eating, and follow other peoples comments on this post, hope this helps, good luck, i'm on the same boat with you, so we'll get through this :-)

i agree. im in the same situation and its been really hard for me cooking for two men and doing big meals for them.. im considering having my meals beforehand and just sitting at the table with them to talk. its often the case that im still eating way after they have finished and are moving around cleaning the table. i dont like that. im not enjoying me meals with their activites so im thinking seriously of just having my meals first. All the advice here is good. i must remember about drinking more water as well. i have coffee which dehydrates .