Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aetna Federal *** 3 Month Requirement Questions

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with Aetna federal *** insurance requirements? My physician has me on the three month multidisciplinary program which includes:

psych eval

three months of nutritional counseling

one visit with an exercise physiologist

I still have two more nutritional appointments to complete. If you used this method, did you need to supply documentation of your exercise? I forgot to ask my doctor that & just want to know if I should be neatly documenting it to show Aetna. I'll f/u with him next week to be on the safe side.

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with Aetna federal *** insurance requirements? My physician has me on the three month multidisciplinary program which includes:

psych eval

three months of nutritional counseling

one visit with an exercise physiologist

I still have two more nutritional appointments to complete. If you used this method, did you need to supply documentation of your exercise? I forgot to ask my doctor that & just want to know if I should be neatly documenting it to show Aetna. I'll f/u with him next week to be on the safe side.

I have Aetna, but did not have t do the three month program. I did have to do a 6 month physician weight loss program, a psych eval and a nutritional eval. Each one supplied me with a letter they wrote of our session. I have copies of each one just in case! Your exercise physiologist should have some form they have to fill out to show your session. Just ask them and get a copy. Good luck! I did get approved on the first go around and was extremely surprised because I have three co-workers who have been denied two and three times. I don't think you will have a problem at all since you are doing the three month thing. One word of advice that my doctor gave me......keep up with your approval yourself. Call Aetna.....push your paperwork through. I did that and like I said....got approved first time.

I have GEHA (federal medical insurance) and they had me on six months of Doc visits on my nutrition and weigh-in's and a nutrition class. My bariatric doc has other requirements. If i didn't have serious sleep apnea I probably would have needed to have gained another 20 or so pounds before I could get the surgery. My BMI is around 38.

I have Aetna thru my husband (works at PO) they pay 90% after my deduct! And when I called them they never said anything about a plan! How do I find out if they require more?:(

Hi, I have Aetna and I did the 3 month accelerated weight management program Aetna accepts for the surgery approval. I did have to provide proof of my exercise program to their office as it was a requirement of the program in an effort to get fast surgery approval. I used victory lady fitness personal trainers and tracked each time I went in and provided a copy of my fitness card signed by the trainer to show proof of supervised exercise program. That in turn is how the doctor and nutritionist write the letter of recommendation to the surgeon in order to get you approved.

So could I use the local YMCA Zumba class?

The Local YMCA is ok but you would need a couple sessions with a personal trainer there where they can place you on an exercise program. I am not sure if they will accept Zumba

Well shoot!!!! Lol looks like I better find something else:-)

I have Aetna and did have to complete the 3 month nutritional program, which the nutritionist made me keep a log of everything I put in my mouth. As for exercise, they asked me at each visit how often and for how long I was exercising. The nutritionist I saw kept thorough notes on our meetings and that was all submitted to insurance when the time came.

I have Aetna, but did not have t do the three month program. I did have to do a 6 month physician weight loss program, a psych eval and a nutritional eval. Each one supplied me with a letter they wrote of our session. I have copies of each one just in case! Your exercise physiologist should have some form they have to fill out to show your session. Just ask them and get a copy. Good luck! I did get approved on the first go around and was extremely surprised because I have three co-workers who have been denied two and three times. I don't think you will have a problem at all since you are doing the three month thing. One word of advice that my doctor gave me......keep up with your approval yourself. Call Aetna.....push your paperwork through. I did that and like I said....got approved first time.

When you say keep up with your approval and push paperwork through what did you mean by that. Just keep calling to make sure they have received everything? Do they tell you if it was accepted for each thing. I wasn't sure on that. I have the 6 mo Aetna program as well. I have to do 6 months with my regular doctor, 2 years of weight issue's and history and 3 months of nutrition.