Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mad at my scale

I have had my band since April of 2003 needed port repositioned from kinked tubing in August of 2003. My last fill was Oct 2004 at 4.4 cc my MD could not put anymore in under Fluro he sucks at this. Took a year off managed to loose 10 lb that year total of 58 lbs since Aug of 05. My new years goal to exersice 5 days a week. Since Jan 15th I do my treadclimber 30 min 5 days a week and burn 200 to 230 cal a session. I have not changed my eating patterns yet the 1st 5 weeks lost 5 lbs. Found a new MD 2 hr drive from my house that can access my port under fluro just fine. He checked my placement and did a barium swallow I saw the restriction on the video. MD did not want to put anymore in since I am at 4.4 in a 10 cm band max he will put in is 4.8 but worried about errosion. Since I had lost 5 lbs in 5 weeks doing my new exercise program he did not want to fill anymore and said wait intill I do not loose any more weight for a few weeks. That was Feb 14th. now today I get on the scale and gainied 3 lbs now at 195 instead of 192.Total loss 65 lbs, I know I am a slow loser but it makes me mad. My husband found a picture of me at 258 lbs prior to surger and say the band works . You will never be 258 again. He is right the year I took off no exercise and took 3 vacations 2 were cruises I lost 10 lbs. Why am I so hard on myself? Because I see people who lose the 100 lbs in less than a year and I am on my 3rd year with the band. Thanks for reading my venting post

Annette:straight

Hi,

You should just be thankful that you still have your band. I lost my band due to ersion and have gained 10lbs back. I say to everyone just be thankful you still have your band.

Tracey

Thanks Tracy you are right. I am very thankful I still have my band. That is why I did not want to risk another fill just to be really tight. I figured my 4.4 cc that I have and since Oct 2004 is enough. I know that if I lost my band I would gain it all back.

Annette

Annette, you are an inspiration. Don't beat yourself up for another minute! And you are gaining because muscle weighs more than fat, so hang on, the scale will show results, it WILL!

I have been banded just shy of a year, and was really hoping to see a 50 pound loss, but settled for a 45 pound loss. I got on the scale this morning and gave up on that...maybe a 40 pound loss for the first year is all I get? Oh well. I have to remember that just 2 years ago I weighed in at 242 or so. That's a 55 pound loss overall. Nothing to sneeze at! Still, 35 pounds gone in a year with the band seems awfully slow to me! So I'm with ya on that!

Kepp up the good work on your exercise. You are dong great! With the erosion risk, I'll be thrilled to still have my band working for me after 3 years!! You rock! :rockon:

Hi Kathy nice to know someone that has gone down the same path. Thanks for the words of encouragement.:clap2:

Annette

I recommend switching things up!! It will really help. Instead of the tread mill 5 times a week do only 3 times. The other two days do MAJOR strength training or a different form of aerobics. TRy swimming or The Biggest Loser workout CD. I think its done amazing things & I have only tried it 3 times so far. One pound a week is great progress. I also think maybe a slight unfill will allow the right amount of calories to be taken in. That is only if your not getting enough now. You know this already but the band is not what "makes us lose" weight it only helps us. So being really tight is the crutch not the ultimate sloution to changing our habits for life. I myself want to be a little tighter(I am at 1.6cc/have a 4cc band) but know that getting tighter isn't what will necessarily help me lose the weight. Its more about pure Protein & following all the Hard rules:0)

Chin up - your doing great & will for sure continue to be successful just because you want it so bad. Stay focused & good luck

MOST IMPORTANTLY TAKE YOUR MEASUREMENTS & GET OFF THE scale :0):P:D :clap2: :clap2: :eek:

MD did not want to put anymore in since I am at 4.4 in a 10 cm band max he will put in is 4.8 but worried about errosion. S

Hmmm..interesting

You should just be thankful that you still have your band. I lost my band due to ersion

Here here..I second that..I too lost my band due to erosion.

Be thankful everyday for your band!

I’m not commenting as a Lap Band recipient. But I will give you a piece of proven advice. Get off the stair climber and start doing resistant exercises. Now I’m being a little facetious when I say get off the stair climber, it is just that as you have lost bodyweight, some of that weight has been lean muscle. This affects your metabolism. As a woman you are at a disadvantage from the beginning because of a lower amount of muscle mass. Add a 30-minute total body workout three days a week and it will boost your metabolism. Use cans of Soup to start with and then progress to 3lb dumbbells. Just do a web search for full body dumbbell workouts, and you will get lots of examples.

scales lie, lie, lie, lie. They lie like a dog.

They only give one things: numbers. And no context for those numbers. There is no account how much of those numbers represent bones, muscle, blood & fluids, and fat.

To get a much more true picture of your body composition you need to have your body composition done. Usually done to check your fat free mass, your FFM. Get it done, you will be so much happier knowing the true picture.

Did I mention that scales lie?

I had lost 33 pounds before and after surgery. On 2/16 I had my first fill, 1 cc. I had only lost 2 pounds that day and my Dr. said it was because my band had loosened. Since that fill, I haven't lost a thing. I am walking a mile a day (all that I can do at this point). I feel practically no restriction. I'm trying to hold myself accountable with my food intake, but I know I eat more that 1/2 cup at each meal. I do not snack very often. Will I ever start losing again?:help: