Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your most embarrassing fat moment (sad, funny, pathetic, turning points)

1. space mountain in Disney, i waited on the very long line for almost an hour finally got to the top and then found out that I couldn't secure the seat because I was too big! had to do the walk of shame all the way back down.

2. was at my sisters for christmas dinner about two years ago and the dining room was very small not much room anywhere so I was told to sit all the way on the other side by the wall and when I tried to go where I was told I was so big that it pulled the whole table cloth with me and knocked over much of the meal! very embarrasiing and upsetting that I ruined everyones meal.

3. at Seaside Heights New Jersey we were going to eat dinner somewhere on the boardwalk and they gave us a booth and when I went to sit there was no way I fit in the booth and they didn't have chairs anywhere so we had to leave!

hmmm Ive had lots of embarrassing moments like.....

a.) Got nominated for duchess (homecoming) just so that if I got it everyone would laff.

b.) ppl would ask my ex why he would want a fat nasty girl like me

c.) when ppl say to my best friend, "why are you friends with that fat b***"

d.) In 2nd grade a little boy (younger than I) told me in the hallway, "I aint never seen nobody as big as you is!" (first time I realized I was different)

e.) Nurse told me I had no willpower and thats why I am fat....

f.) When someone was talking about their overweight sister in front of me, and told me her weight and she only weighs like 20lbs more than me!

(all of this makes me cry so I try to forget all the super hurtful stuff)

Shortly before I was banded I was out to dinner with DH in a very quaint restaurant in the North End of Boston (Italian food). It is odd we get an evening out as we have 4 small children. We were having a great time being adults and the mood was very romantic. All that was about to change. All the places in the North End are small and homey and really cool. It would be odd for there to be more than 15 tables in a place. We got there early and ate a fabulous dinner. When it came time to leave I realized that the restaurant was so small, and since we had arrived they seated people all around us -- there was no way out. We had tickets to a hockey game so we had to get going (plus I had to pee -- too much wine). In the end, 4 separate couples had to get up from their dinners and move their chairs and tables to get me out. The restaurant hostess got involved and the place was so small, everyone was looking and turning to see what the commotion was. I felt like such a spectacle and will never go there again even if I'm thin -- it was so hurtful. Needless to say, the hockey game was not much fun! It was one of the final straws though that made my decision to seek banding so maybe it wasn't ALL bad.......................

Wow, what heart breaking stories :)

When I was about 7 we moved to a new town. I was so extremely shy and withdrawn that it was hard for me to make friends. Well this one boy would follow me home screaming at the top of his lungs "your fat, your a power house" and much more. I didn't want to say anything to my parents b/c I was so ashamed but they found out because I would come home every day in tears. My oldest brother went to school with this nasty boy's brother, so he told him what was going on. A few months went by and the father and this nasty boy showed up at my front door to appologize. I was so mortified I hid behind my Dad who was 300+ lbs at the time. I went thru the next 10 years of school with my eyes glued to the ground because I was so embarassed of myself. I think the boy learned his lesson because he was very nice to me after that (or he was afraid of my dad lol).

Another was when I was about 17, 18... my brother and his wife used to have parties at their house. They would invite everyone, including my cousins, and neighbors but he would not invite me. I was friends with his wife's sister and one day she told me why he didn't invite me to his parties...it was b/c he was embarassed of how fat I was and that when they all got drunk they would make fun of me really bad at the parties. When the devistation comes from your own family it hurts 10x more.

Years ago after losing 150 lbs, I confronted my brother. He said how sorry he was and how much he loved me. I told him to be careful of what you so dispise because it could wind up in your very own home. Well guess what folks.... his son is VERY fat and so is his wife... hmmmmmmmm. :guess

Thank you all for the posts. This has been heartbreaking and I'm so in awe of your bravery for sharing your stories. I started to type out mine and realized . . . I'm not ready for that yet.

Maybe I'll be able to live up to the courage you've shown when I get more perspective. Sincerely, thank you again.

I think that for some of us sharing is like therapy but, for others sharing is almost as painful as living it. I shared because it reminds me of how far I have come and it also reminds me that I am not alone in this journey. ~Mandy

You know, I know all these posts are a bit sad, and they were difficult times in all our lives, but on the flip side, this thread makes me feel a bit better because I know there are others out there like me. I know that I wasn't the only one made fun of, or the only one that has problems sitting in restraunt booths or the only one that has to deal with ignorant and insensitive people. Thank you all for sharing and helping us to remember that we are not alone in our struggles. :clap2:

I used to be a big fan of haunted houses - even now, I enjoy them. Unfortunately, there are times when they don't agree with me... and in fact, I've been kicked out of them on 2 different occasions :) I'll tell the story of the 2nd one...

I was around 28, and getting close to my top weight... so I was 6'5" and probably around 485 pounds. This particular haunted house was very well done - with all the appropriate creepy crawlies and scary things jumping out at you and stuffed scarecrow-like psychos weilding chainsaws that you can imagine. I was with a small group of friends, all of whom were jumping and screaming at all the right places - and I was having a ball.

At one point, we were ushered into a relatively small room - maybe 10X10 - with a ceiling that was maybe 3 inches above my head. I don't know exactly how many were in the room with us, but it was very crowded - and with the low ceiling, I was starting to get claustrophobic.

Then the fun started - we heard some big machine start humming, a tape-recorded scream ripped through the room, and the ceiling started to come down! It was awesome!!

For awhile...

After a few seconds, I started thinking "Ok, this was really cool, but surely they'll stop now."

They didn't.

The folks in the room with me were obviously having fun - and I was too at first, but then it got to be too much. Before long, I was bent over nearly double - remember I'm tall to begin with. At that weight, it was getting really really hard to stay in that position. My back was starting to ache - my hips were cramping - and I knew that I was about to fall down. Given my size, I knew that if I fell down, I'd take a few folks with me, and it would be tough to get back up.

So I said to myself "enough."

I stood up.

I set my shoulders against the ceiling, and heaved. I'm a big guy - and fairly strong. Almost immediately I could hear the machinery start to whine, quietly at first, but quickly growing louder. Then I started to smell smoke... and soon the rest of the folks did too. People started yelling - and a couple near the door starting pounding on it.

When I was nearly vertical again, I guess someone on staff hit the right button - the ceiling quickly moved back up on its own, and the door opened, and the house employees started to rush people out of the room. As I went through the door, someone said "Would you come with me please?"

They took me a different way toward the main entrance, refunded my money, and asked me to leave.

It was embarassing - but I do look back on it and giggle occasionally. :)

At 28, my life guard certification expired, and I missed the recert class at my nice, safe YMCA (with all my fat life guard friends), so I signed up for the renewal class at a different location. I was in with all high school teenagers... you know the type, the jocks that are planning on getting tan while they work. **sigh**

We were practicing saving people, when the teacher said, "Some of those that will be swimming in your pools will be fat & you still have to be able to save them. So let's all practice on Janet." They proceeded to attempt to pull me out of the pool one-by-one.

They used me as the fat-person example over & over again during that class, but that one was the worst... it was the first time... and they bruised me terribly, lol. Literally. All up & down my arms & legs, lol.

Oh gosh Janet, you should have told them to go suck on a life preserver. What a rude instructor to say the least. Your a good sport.

Nah, hehe, just passive aggressive. I was secretly heaping coals on his head & plotting revenge. :)

I've blocked out the bad stuff from childhood. I was always unathletic and a little pudgy, so I know other kids said some awful things to me in P.E., but I really can't remember them clearly now.

I really don't remember anyone being mean to me since then. Well, except a stupid anorexic twit who fired me from a college journalism job because my being "fat" (I was maybe 20 lbs overweight at the time) bothered her. I wasn't embarrassed, though -- I was pissed. And I got a better job the next day.

The embarrassment I've experienced has mostly been self-generated. (In other words, no one was calling me a fat pig except ME.) Three very recent experiences:

1. We took a cruise in the Caribbean last year. Instead of doing one of the ship's organized snorkeling excursions, I hired a young guy with a private sailboat to take my husband and me out to a secluded area for snorkeling. This was my idea, for three reasons: I wanted to enjoy a pristine coral reef; I had never snorkeled before and felt self-conscious about it; and (most important) I was embarrassed about being seen in a swimsuit in front of a big group. The snorkeling was great. I loved the reef, the beautiful fish and the wonderful feeling of weightlessless in the nice warm Water. And then I realized I had to get back in the sailboat, which had no ladder. That poor kid and my husband had to drag my lard ass up out of the Water and nearly killed themselves doing it. I felt like a beached whale and I was horribly bruised where they had grabbed onto me, as well as all up and down my legs where they dragged me over the side. The overwhelming embarrassment almost destroyed what had been a beautiful experience up to that point.

2. Last weekend we took my niece and nephew up to a ski resort and all of us went "snow tubing." Tubing is perfect for out-of-shape people because unlike skiing it requires no athletic ability at all. You just sit your butt in a big inner tube and let gravity take over. It was very exhilarating going down the steep slope. I was laughing like a maniac. They put my tube on the "lift" apparatus that drags you back up the slope. Great, no problems. And then I got to the top and realized I had to get out of the darn thing. The 135-lbs-dripping-wet teenage boy manning the top of the lift offered his hand to help me up. Um, no -- I'll pull his skinny arm off! So I have to roll to the side, get on my knees and stumble to my feet. Another "beached whale" experience. (I repeated the experience several times, though, because going downhill was so fun I just decided to put up with the embarrassment of "dismounting.")

3. Today we went out to lunch and the skinny hostess tried to seat us in a booth. I took one look at it and knew I wouldn't fit. Had to ask for a table. This has happened repeatedly since we moved to Colorado, a state full of skinny people (lowest rate of obesity in the US). Before we moved here I could at least squeeze into restaurant booths. I swear the booths here are much narrower. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I can't even mash myself in and park "the girls" on the tabletop. It's just a no-go. Ugh, it's so embarrassing.

Now, why did I want a band again? :)

I have yet another carnival ride experience. Probably 10 years ago I went to ride one of those rides where the arm comes down and locks into place. The carnie slammed it down super hard so it would latch and it pinched me and I screeamed out loud and cried the entire ride. I've never ridden a ride again.

I always automatically ask for a table when we go to a restaurant. I have mini panic attacks if there are only booths.

In middle school I was walking down the hall and Chris Smith kept calling out "pounder, pounder, pounder" as I walked away. I wasn't even fat then.

I have avoided every class reunion because of my size.

I had a boyfriend in 10th grade who stalked me after we broke up. In 1999 he found me here in the town I live now (2.5 hours from where I grew up). He came here to my house to see me. We sat outside on my deck and visited. I was overweight, but not as big as I am now. He has never called or tried to see me again. I know it was because he saw how big I had gotten.

My nephew asked me if I was going to have another baby, and my DS was only 1 year old. When I said no, he asked why my tummy was so big then.

I will say that I am thankful I haven't had as bad experiences as some of you. I would just die...