Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your most embarrassing fat moment (sad, funny, pathetic, turning points)

This happened to someone else, but I saw it from a distance.

We were at Home Depot. It was the first warm day of spring -- you know how packed they get with people coming in with a fresh case of spring fever. There were some Rubbermaid chairs set out on display inside, right by the garden center. A large lady went to sit on one of the chairs and as soon as she settled her weight on it, it broke apart and she fell to the floor on top of a pile of broken plastic. And then she couldn't get up on her own, she had to try and crawl over to a shopping cart and use it to get herself up, but it rolled away from her and she fell down again. Then she just sort of layed there looking around at people, obviously humiliated and probably having no idea how she was going to get up. A guy went over to help her up but couldn't do it on his own so he yelled to his buddies, "Guys give me a hand, she's too heavy for me to get up on my own." It took him and three of his friends to get her up.

I've had very few "public" embarassments. I've been told that I'm "intimidating", so I would imagine I've gotten it much worse behind my back than to my face... plus in the days when kids are their meanest I hung out with a group of awesome epople who looked really rough, and were very protective of me, so I never had to take a lot of flack... but I had a day from hell once... one of those days where you want to give up and move away and leave life behind. I was about 18 and had just started gaining weight... was probably a sz 20... this was one of those "all time low days" because so many things went wrong in such a short time... I went to a 5-7-9 shop to buy a friend a present. I was flipping through things on the rack and a girl walked up to me and was like, "You're looking for someone else, right?" It took me a few seconeds to process what she had said, and in the meantime I must have just been looking at her blankly, because as soon as it hit me, she piped up with, "We only carry up to size 9 here. But there's a Lane Bryant across the way. They carry your size." I had planned on going to LB anyway, so I was heading over there and passed a group of younger boys (maybe 13/14ish) and as I walked by they all started yelling out, "Boom baba boom baba boom..." and one of them coughed phlegm into his mouth and tried to spit on me. Later at the mall I ran into some friends and we stopped at a pizza place in the mall to eat. The chairs were very small, and when I went to get up my hips were stuck and the chair came up with me. Later that night I had a soft ball game... the other team's bleachers were right behind me, and their pitcher's boyfriend was in the first row. The first pitch I hit over the fence, but it went foul. I went back up to the plate, and heard the girl's boyfriend yell, "Throw her something she'll hit on the ground. She's so fat she can't run. She has to hit home runs to get around the bases. Make her run and you'll get her out." Well - I hit it on the ground, and tried to run, but it had poured down rain during the game and the dirt between home and first was super slick mud. I got about 10 feet down the line, slipped in the mud, and fell on my face. All I remember is hearing the girl's boyfriend yelling, "Beached whale! Beached whale!"

i have had the "We don't carry anything in your size" situations at stores. I have seen people's reflection in mirrors or metal as they point and whisper behind my back.

One of the most memorable moments was when I draggedDH to a trade show in orlando, and a group of us went to universal for a day. I went to get on a ride (the duddley do right log ride) and i went to get into the seat and realized i couldn't squeeze into it easily. i started to getup and the ride attendant came over andpushed me back into the seat saying "rides starting, you can't getup now"

i sat down so hard my fat butt squeezed in the seat. the ride was fun, we got wet, it was ablast. i was really glad i got into the ride. When it came to the end I went to stand up and found i was stuck. the log never really stops moving, so dh had to come over and try to help me while thislog kept moving to the next stage of the ride. finally i pushed up on the sides really hard, whiched loosed me, but tore my pants almost completely off. i ran out of the ride area barely holding the bits of my pants to my body. i found a bench that was sort of hidden from the main path and just sat there and cried. dh cameover and sat with me and he cried as well because ofthe embarassment i had endured. our friends did not even stay. they watched what happened, and disappeared completely. I didn't hear from any of them for about a month. DH went to the gift shops to see if he could find anything for me to wear for the long walk back to the hotel, and it tookhim about anhour. finally he just went back to the hotel and brought back my jeans. I refused to walk to the bathroom (the nearest was quite a distance) and I was already half naked so I just put them on there.

DH never spoke about it again until I broughtit up recently. It made him cry just remembering. And this is a guy who doesn't even cry when a family member dies. His embarassment for me was so strong, you can imagine what mine was. I have vowed I am not even going try to ride a roller coaster until I am at least a size 14.

I was checking out at the grocery store. Now, I live in a town of about 1500 people, so we all know each other. As I'm checking out, the girl behind the counter asks me when I am going to finally have that baby.....I had the baby two weeks before. Ouch....

FunnyDuddies, that is the best thing about Disney, the rides are all made to accomadate "Pooh Sized " people. I am part of a Disney message board and there is actually a page called Pooh Sized riders. Our term not disney's. Even at my heaviest I fit every ride even the old ones. My sister, who is heavier them me also fits each and every ride. ~Mandy

yeah, disney is pretty cool about it. I used to work at disney. Good company. but i still have a fear. and i know that i will really enjoy the rides when i am smaller. everything is more enjoyable when you are skinny. :)

here at busch gardens they have a deal that if you buy a one day pass and you are a florida resident then you get a year pass for free. it is a limited time offer they run each year. hopefully next year i can do that and feel comfortable enough to ride the rides. i used to be a serious roller coaster junkie.

I was dating my soon to be husband, and my son and myself were rolling around on the floor playing. He then proceeds to grab my arm and start playing with the fat, and ask why do you have all of this? I could of died. My man married me anyway, so he must love me.

Also, one day me and my friends were talking, and we got to talking about our bodies. One friend says you are not that fat, you just look thick. I could of killed her. I hate when people call me thick.

I was getting on a ride with my nephew at six flags, i had been on many rides already that day and did not think anything different about this last one, after waiting in line for 1/2 hr. we finally made it up to the platform got in the ride, sat in the seat OK, this is one of those rides where they secure you in with over the shoulder system, they closed it down on me, I got scared because it was smashing the girls, I told the attendant I would pass, because just a few months before there was a report about a lady that was thrown out of a ride because she was so big the secure system did not work properly. So I waited for my nephew to finish the ride, as people where getting off, a lady came by and said sorry you could not ride, that pissed me off, I could have gone all day and been fine with my decision not to ride, but no, some skinny women had to make a comment like that and I let her ruin my day. Just wait I will be back on soon.

Some of these have made me just sit here and cry! Here are some of my own:

Starting early when I was in elementary school I begged my mom to buy me these $60 pair of pink shorts with pink crochet around the bottom, she did but I had to promise to mow the lawn all summer. I was wearing them all weekend and a girl I went to school with asked me why I didn't wear a sign that said wide load on my behind? Who does that!

Next was Junior High and I was riding the bus home and an old friend of mine was making fun of me along with some mean girls, I asked her how she could make fun of me since we used to be great friends and her comment was that maybe if we make fun of you, you will do something about being so fat so no one has to make fun of you anymore. I was a misses size 7 in Jr High!

In high school I was friends with a girl larger and taller than me, one of the biggest girls in the school, we went to the mall and some older boys yelled from the top floor down to us on the bottom floor, I don't remember exactly what was said but something along the lines of " you fat bitches need to go home!"

The year after I graduated High school I was a size 14 and me and a bunch of friends went to see another friend in New Jersey. We went to the Jersey shore and rode the rides on the Boardwalk. I got in one ride and the rude ass attendant tried to close the bars from up over me over my chest and kept pushing trying to close it, but it was too tight, so he just lifted it backup and said get off real rudely, in front of all of my friends. They watched sadly as I walked down and I cried watching them ride the ride. THe skinny friends were so sweet getting off the ride and telling the guy they were going to kick his ars for being rude and giving me hugs of encouragement, but that was almost 10 years ago and I haven't been on a ride since...and I love them! I was so embarassed in front of my friends, it's still hard to think of.

The final one on the top of my head was when I went to a beach house near Galveston with my friends family, who is still like an extended family to me. One of their cousins had a little boy who I had known since he was born and he was on the trip with us. I was sitting in a swinging chair on the beach behind our house and he asked me where my baby was? I told him I didn't have a baby, why would he think I did, then he asked me then why is your belly so big?? I about died. I was not the only fat person there, it killed me that he singled me out. I know they are kids, but I hate brats!!

There are so many other stories that have happened to me and especially as a chubby child and teenager it was killer embarassment for any event being tha fattest one in the room at all times. I look back now and wish I could be the 165 pounds I was when I graduated. I just don't understand how people can be so cruel.

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories!! This is a great thread!

This thread is super cathartic for me. I give much love and respect to everyone who has shared here. We are truly truly family and all we have here is love, right? So it's good to share, it helps me remember we're all totally in this together.

My saddest moment was when at work I was up for a big promotion and was pretty sure I would get it. But as things came to pass, they interviewed a really good candidate and ended up hiring that lady instead.

I went to my folks place not long after and my father said to my sister and brother in law (I was not in the room) that the reason I was passed over for a promotion was because I was so fat.

I got my satisfaction when a year later when the woman they hired turned out to be *crazy* and when she left they just promoted me, no question.

I wanted to thumb my nose at my abusive father!!! He's since passed and we put a lot to rest before he died, but that story still hurts me so very deep.

When I was in highschool I weighed about 180 (which FELT huge then - what was I thinking?). I was out on a Saturday night with a heavy friend of mine. We were depressed because we didn't have boyfriends, so we decided to order big dinners and drown in our sorrows. About 2 seconds after we placed our orders in walked two big groups of teenage boys, who were seated all around us. We're sitting there, and here comes the waitress with plate after plate of food for us. Seriously, I think we each had 5 plates, lol. They were all snickering and pointing at us. We ate a little and left. I'm happy to say that we crack up at this story today, but at the time it was mortifying.

Ok, this thread is like a bad car crash.

I am crying but I can't look away

Please make it stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!