Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery, Infection & Port Removal

Found this site yesterday and have been reading through the posts but haven't found a post dealing with the same issues I'm dealing with. So here it goes.....

I had my Lap Band surgery on February 2, 2012. It is the first surgery I've ever had....and I mean EVER. Surgery went fine, as well as my 1 week post op consultation. Doc said everything looked good and sent me home with an appointment for my first fill, which was set for March 7th. I would be in pain daily, but would just take my Lortab and it would go away. A co-worker suggested I use Mederma to take care of the scars. Well....that would have been good, had I not been allergic to Maderma. Red sploches and itching that would burn when scratched, and never got relief. I went BACK to the docs office thinking something was wrong with my incision. They said it was just an allergic reaction and said to use Cortizone.

I noticed about 2 weeks later that my large incision was not looking right. Started with a small section that would leak a little, then it got bigger. The day before my first fill appointment my back started hurting, and I mean hunched over unable to stand straight hurting. The small incision right above the large one was a little pink and tender to the touch. The next day my whole stomach was feeling warm and pain was hurting a little more. Of course this was my fill day so I just waited till my appointment time to go see the doc. I knew when I walked into the office that it was not going to end with a fill and my utter happiness.

First, the nurse came into the room and I told her this wasn't going to be good. I lifted my shirt and the look on her face was indescribable. She said an infection had set in and that the port would have to be removed. I just started crying. I couldn't believe I would have to go through ANOTHER surgery. The doc comes in, looks, feels and says "how soon can you have the surgery?" I went to the appointment by myself thinking it wasn't going to be this bad. Surgery #2 was set for March 9th, that friday and only 2 days away. The doc said it would be a "simple" procedure that would take 10-15 minutes. After the infection has cleared, and in about 3-4 months I can get my port back. If it gets infected AGAIN, then he would have to remove the band. The bright side (???) to removing the band is that it doesn't end there, he could do a gastric sleeve. Hummm....haven't thought about doing that yet. I may get to the point where I say "forget it!!!" Thursday had to call in at work because 1) I was still in shock that I was having my port removed, and 2) the pain was even worse than the day before.

Day of 2nd surgery. I was told to be at the hospital at 12:30. I understand I have to be "worked in." It took 6 hours before I was taken back to the OR. Yadda yadda yadda, surgery surgery surgery. Was not as in much pain after 2nd surgery as I was the 1st which was good for me :) I was told to remove my bandage and take a shower in the morning and repack the incision with what they gave me. Took off the bandage and just cried. I have an approx 3 inch long, 2 inch wide incision that is probably 2-3 inches deep just there, on my stomach. It is GROSS!!!!! I have been taking good care with my incision, repacking it twice a day. Once right after my shower and then about 2 hrs before bed. I take my liquid antibitoic (Cipro) twice a day and I pray. I pray that I heal and this doesn't turn into another infection. I go back tomorrow (March 16th) at 10:30 for the doc to see how everything looks. <fingers crossed>

<sigh> I'm beginning to think I would have been better off fat!!!!! Right now I can eat ANYTHING. My appetite isn't as big as it once was, so that whole plate of food I used to eat has gone down to 1/2 to 3/4 of the plate. I'll just keep praying and keep doing what i've been doing with my "hole."

Bamagirl I am so sorry u r going thru this! I can only imagine how frustrated and downhearted u must. I pray that everything works out ok and ur doctor is able to find a good solution for u. Wishing u the best

I am so sorry. This is terrible. Please keep us posted.

Hope everything goes well with your drs apt and they everything is smooth sailing from here. Just be cautious when you use the shower at home or even in hospitals I try to touch the walls and curtians as least as possiable because thats what causes staff infections. Also at home after both of my csections I went and purchased new shower curtians and sprayed down all the walls after each shower. I might of been a little over kill but I was so afraid of getting an infection. I also would let my scares air out like after each shower lay with the fan on and no clothes untill I was pretty dry.Hope all gos well !

I'm glad you found the forum and hopefully someone can reach out to you. I feel HORRIBLY for you, it seems you have taken the high road though. I'd be much more disgusted and angry. Please keep us posted and best of luck!!

I had to have surgery 6 weeks after my band because my port had flipped. My doctor could not get me squeezed into the procedure room at the hospital, so he opened me back up (in the office) and fixed my port. I totally agree that its discouraging, however, I had to take a whole different approach to the situation and tell myself that life cannot be all easy roads, every so often we will come upon a speed bump. Generally I try to go as fast as I can over those speed bumps so I dont really feel them, but sometimes you have to slow down and make that climb over the bump....once you are on the other side, things go easier and you will be back on that smooth road for a while. Take this as one of those speed bumps, keep your chin up, and this will pass. Dont regret your decision, it will all work out in the end

UPDATE!!!!!!!! Tuesday May 19th I had my 3rd Lap Band surgery. It took awhile for my big hole to close and when it did close it took awhile for the skin around it to heal (it was very dry and flaky). Anyway....I finally had my 3rd surgery. The doctor cut out as much of the scarring from the 2nd healing as he could and now I'm hurting worse than the last 2 surgeries. If this works and my port doesn't get infected then I will take the pain!!!! I have forgotten what I can eat since the last few months I ate WHATEVER I wanted. The doctor had to do an EGD to check for infection or erosion before he would do the surgery, but he said everything looked good. At my last doctors appointment it was the first time they actually admitted to me that they were the reason my port got infected. Well, anyway....I'm SOOOOO happy I got my port back!!!!!

WHY were they the reason your port got infected??? That's a huge liability for them to admit that, I'm surprised they admitted any fault.

I'm happy your doing better and pray you have no problems at all after this!

Johnathan

He said it was a "surgical infection" Went for my 1 week follow up and my incision is leaking a clear red liquid. I have a very small hole from the incision that the liquid is leaking through. Doc is worried another infection could get in there. I have to keep the site clean and dry which is hard when it keeps leaking. <sigh> Maybe this surgery was just not meant for me!

Hi Bamagirl, I too am having port problems, at least right now it's like I sprung a leak! I have oozing for 2 weeks now, just finished cipro. some days are better than others. I had surgery 5/2 and was in great shape until that one magical day that a puss blister formed in the middle of the incision and then burst and has been leaking and not healing ever since. I pray I don't go through what you have, I am currently changing bandages a few times a day. I am following your story, I really do hope things start going better for you!

Tammy

Hi Tammy.....sorry to hear you are having problems with your port. Is the liquid that is oozing clear or more puss like? Mine is clear. It started out a reddish clear and is now a bright yellow clear. I have to change the dressing all the time. As long as it stays clear I'm happy. Next week will be 1 month since my 3rd surgery, and I can definitely tell the difference. The first time I was in so much pain....I thought my back was going to break it hurt so bad. And every joint....OH GEEZE. Now my only pain is when I try to lay on my side....i can feel the port. I go see the doc again next Tuesday and I can't wait for him to tell me everything looks great. He has never been able to say that to me!!!! LOL Keep me updated on how you are doing. Hope everything clears up for you!!!

The Fluid is clear but mixed with blood, does not appear to be infected. I am very sore, it is itchy, and I feel like the port is protruding more than it should in my stomach. It's very hard all around the area. The Dr. does not seem overly concerned at this point but I cant' tell if he is playing it down or if it truly is a common complication that will heal. In any event, I will write more tomorrow, gotta get some zzzz's! I will update my profile here, so glad I found this page! Looking forward to talking more with you, night!

Keep your eye on it! If it turns puss like, go to the doc. I hope it doesn't though!!! Keep me posted on how you are doing!