Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ovarian Cysts?

Anyone every have one that was so large they had to have surgery to take out? Im having mine out on friday and just wanted to know if anyone went thru anything like this after they were banded. Im hoping mine weighs 20 lbs hehehehehe.... just kidding....

I had cysts, one the size of a grapefruit, the other the size of an orange. That's how they described them anyway. I had a hysterectomy in 96. But not AFTER being banded.

Well my doctor told me I had an ovarian cyst two weeks before I got married. But that cyst delivered nine months and four days after I got married. Talk about corny (honeymoon baby). M

Anyone every have one that was so large they had to have surgery to take out? Im having mine out on friday and just wanted to know if anyone went thru anything like this after they were banded. Im hoping mine weighs 20 lbs hehehehehe.... just kidding....

Hi aligirrl77, please let me know how it works out for you. I was wondering if it's a same day surgery? Do you have to be unfilled?

I may have to have the same thing done, not sure right now so I am very curious about what happens. I :) that all goes well for you.

I had polycystic ovaries. I had surgery in 2000 to remove cysts which came back within a couple of months and then in 2003 had to have total hysterectomy as my ovaries were so damaged and they also found polyps in uterus during surgery that was not found during any previous tests. The polyps were malignent. There was apparently some correlation between cysts and polyps. This was all before banding. The surgery in 2000 was day sugery in and out with minor pain. Now with the hysterectomy was in hospital for 3 days and down from work 6 weeks.:cry

I had a dermoid cyst removed from my left ovary at 21 (2.5 # - size of a grapefruit). Then had two more removed three years ago, one on each ovary. Smaller in size, but fused together near my spine. My latest vaginal sonogram shows another one developing. Not a concern until it gets large enough to cause pain though. I haven't had any removed since being banded though. But not very surprising, my husband and I have fertility issues.

Good luck with the removal -- about the same time as my first surgery, there were reports of a woman with the same kind of cyst weighing in at 116 lbs. -- how it got that big without knowing something was wrong is a mystery to me, but imagine walking out of the hospital 116 lbs. lighter. Mine was only 2.5 lbs, but I gained it back in fluids they pump you up with.

I know Veritas was scheduled to be banded but ended up in emergency surgery on Valentine's Day to have cysts removed.

You know, I used to suffer from that a LOT a long time ago. And until this thread had forgotten all about it. I haven't had any problems since I had my tubes "tied". How odd. Not complaining mind you, I remember well that pain and it's NOT fun!

Hope you get thru the surgery with ease. Keep us posted on how you're doing Ali.

I had a bad flair up of a cyst once. I've been on the pill now for about 5 years (except when I wanted to get pg with my daughter) then I went right back on it 6wks postpartum.

Best of luck to you on your surgery, please keep us posted.

Just an FYI for you ladies with cysts or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is a disease related to insulin resistance. As you lose weight there is a strong probability that it will improve and go away. Rather than having surgery to correct it, you may want to ask your doctor to put you on Metformin (Glucophage) which is a diabetes drug that cuts insulin resistance. Metformin combined with the ongoing weightloss post banding should help quickly resolve the problem.

Just an FYI for you ladies with cysts or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is a disease related to insulin resistance. As you lose weight there is a strong probability that it will improve and go away. Rather than having surgery to correct it, you may want to ask your doctor to put you on Metformin (Glucophage) which is a diabetes drug that cuts insulin resistance. Metformin combined with the ongoing weightloss post banding should help quickly resolve the problem.

What's interesting about this to me, is this. Mine were Polycystic, or what they used to call Endometrial cysts, which come and go every month, basically rupturing and blowing your tubes to pieces, scarring etc. So, okay, I guess I'm OLD, since it now has a name - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. So, if I had my hyst to remove the faulty tubes and ovaries, is it possible that I still have the metabolic issues that go along with this disorder? If this is the case, could this have been an issue with why I gained 76 lbs in less than one year back when I was 19 years old? Could it have been a factor in all my weight issues ever since and why I've been a slow loser even with the band? OR, would having the hysterectomy/ovary removal have basically cured the metabolic issues associated??

Hmm.... :couch2:

So, if I had my hyst to remove the faulty tubes and ovaries, is it possible that I still have the metabolic issues that go along with this disorder?

Yes. However depending on the amount of weight lost it may have reduced the insulin resistance significantly.

If this is the case, could this have been an issue with why I gained 76 lbs in less than one year back when I was 19 years old?

Absolutely. Insulin resistance and obesity are inter- related with each other. Example, women pack on weight during pregnancy rather quickly. This is because the entire insulin axis tilts. From an evolutionary standpoint, gaining weight as fast as possible during pregnancy is good thing. It helps ensure the survival of the mother and child and ensures the mother can feed the child for months even if food was scarce. So the body cranks up the fasting insulin level which causes fast weight gain. Then you have issue like gestational diabetes pop-up. All related to each other. Conversely you have obese women who cant get pregnant who have PCOS. They lose 30 lbs and bango! (no pun intended :]) are pregnant in two or three months after weight loss. Similarly women with PCOS put on metformin can get pregnant even though they are still obese because it improves the insulin sensitivity which was causing the skipped periods and messed up ovarian function.

Could it have been a factor in all my weight issues ever since and why I've been a slow loser even with the band?

Absolutely. This is why its so important to curb your carbohydrate intake even after you get banded. You still have high fasting insulin levels for a while until some significant weight loss has occurred. Insulin release upon carb intake slows or stops your weight loss. 5% of Gastric bypass patients gain all their weight back! Why? They become sweet feeders. Same issue us banders have to watch out for.

would having the hysterectomy/ovary removal have basically cured the metabolic issues associated??

The full hyst would not have cured the metabolic syndrome.

Well, well... that's very good information. Thank you for taking the time to confirm some of what I've already considered. However, after having had a hyst in '96, I haven't thought that the metabolic issues would be worth having investigated. It very well could be that this was PART of my problem. Course, those burgers, fries, ice cream and pizza had nothing to do with it....:biggrin1: