Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Travel Tips

CMD1480
Sign in to follow this  

I have to travel for work for the first time since my surgery. I am headed to STL and very nervous because my hotel eating habits are really bad. The hotel has Cookies every afternoon and a to die for chocolate cake. Before my band I would have eaten both every night. I know I will be more cautious during my trip, but the temptation will definitely be there. Does anyone have any good tips?

Hi CMD1480,

I travel for work every week. And actually I find it quite easy. It is really a mindset change in how you look at food. It helps to plan out where you want to eat. I always look at a menu and make sure I know ahead of time what I am going to order. I also, keep a few bottles of High Protein Ensure with me in case I need it. I try to make my eating while traveling easy, but I admit the temptation is strong. The hardest part for me is walking in the airport. Because I live in Atlanta and this is the one of the world's busiest airport and every restaurant and sweets shoppe is in here. So I have to have tunnel vision when in the airport because the brownies, Cookies, ice cream are everywhere. I never realized until post band but bread and Fried food is everywhere. It amazes me at how most all restaurants cater to sandwiches and hardly no variety of Soup. I eat regular foods, but I eat alot of Soup. Surprisingly, I am down 26lbs since surgery Jan 9th and I travel every week(Mon thru Thursday) for my job. So you can do it. You have got to get your mind right before you leave your house!!!

Thank you for much for the tips and encouragement. I live near Jacksonville, FL so every flight goes through ATL! :) Luckily I am not hungry a lot so hopefully the temptations won't be as bad.

Congratulations on your weight loss! :)

I travel frequently with my job too! I am a bit spoiled b/c my company has a private plane and I get to avoid airport food (huge blessing!) but it is hard having to live out of hotels. Chikfila has become my bff while traveling. The chargrilled chicken salad with honey mustard dressing is around 250 calories and it is very filling. Oftentimes I can eat on this for 2 meals.

Happy and safe travels! I love STL!!

I have had to travel twice so far since being banded, and both situations I had minimal control over when/what my eating options were. Take Protein Powder with you. I take individual packets. I also have a filtered Water bottle I can just refill with Water for the airport and the hotel/out and about.

As for the things you like, my doctor says not to deprive ourselves, so if there is something you want, have a bite or two after you've eaten what you are supposed to eat (protein and veggies) in place of the carbohydrate portion of the meal, then toss the rest. A few bites 1-2 times a week will not ruin your calories for the week. If you deprive yourself when it is right there though, your brain will fight you tooth and nail and you'll end up over eating. food isn't the enemy! What I've also found is, if we don't make foods out to be bad things, and know we can have some, just have to eat right first, we are usually so not hungry by the end of the meal that one bit is really all it takes, and sometimes it just ends up in the trash.

Planning where to eat is also important. Find some places close to the hotel with meals you can eat and will enjoy!! Just remember, when you have to eat out, you end up taking in a lot more salt than you do at home, so don't be surprised if you don't lose while you are gone or if the scale is up when you get back. The first trip I was up 5lbs, and that was gone after 2 days, this time it was 3lbs and it was gone after 2 days as well.

GOOD LUCK!!