Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had First Fill Yesterday. Confused?

I had my first fill yesterday and they said that there was a little over 4cc's in there from the day of surgery. They added another 1.6cc yesterday. Before I had the fill, I was starving constantly around week 4 and after about 2 hours, I was hungry again. That is when they told me you know your ready for a fill. Now I know it is only a day after my fill and I am just now aloud to go from Clear Liquids to creamy Soups, but honestly I don't feel any tighter. I had no issues with getting liquids down yesterday after the fill and today the cream soups are fine as well. How do I know if I got enough fill or if it needs adjusting. This process has me going more by measurements and 3 meals a day than by feel it seems. Do you think I might start feeling a tightness once I am aloud to start eating normal food again or should I already be able to tell even though I am doing liquids and soups? I hear all the time, people saying they are done after a half cup. I was able to eat a cup of broth yesterday and a cup of creamy Soup today with no problem, but my stomach is constantly rumbling throughout the day. It's almost like having a baby again and not sure why it's crying.lol

I had my first fill on Wednesday and also felt significant hunger within a couple of hours after liquids. You have to remember that liquids don't stay in your pouch but flow right through, so they aren't likely to keep you satisfied for that long. When I moved on to high Protein mushies was when I noticed the difference of having a fill. The more solid textures are really sticking with me now and keeping me full for 4-5 hours (at least). Now, some of that may be swelling and not really restriction, but I expect it to take a week or two for that that make itself clear. If it doesn't last, then I'll go back for another fill.

Most drs don't expect anyone to receive restriction on the first fill. usually it takes more than that to reach your sweet spot. If I were you, I'd give it a week and reevaluate once you're back on solids. If you aren't, fill fill fill! :)

I felt restriction with my first fill...then after a couple of days it seemed to lighten up a little bit. When I went back to more solid foods, it did seem to feel like more restriction. However, now I'm almost 3 wks out from that fill and it doesn't feel as tight. I think the band starts to relax some. I'm now getting hungry within about 3 hrs, where it was being 4-5 hours. Going back Tuesday for another.

Restriction from a fill can happen up to 2 or 3 weeks after u have it done or it can come suddenly and bite u when u least expect it .. You are very unlikely to feel a good level of restriction from your first fill, some people do and some dont .. the main thing is that u are careful when u do start eating food again and wait and see. This isnt a fast process and getting to a good level of restriction can take 4 or 5 fills so just be careful with what u eat till the band lkicks in and starts helping u a little more !

good luck !

Now you have a total of 5.6cc's?

A lot depends the size of your band. Typically it is a 10cc band.

Do you feel anything when you swallow? Can you gulp your Water down?

My doctor says it can take up to two weeks for the full effects of the restriction so they won't even fill you again before that. Also, she explained it like this... When you lose weight you lose weight everywhere. Even in your stomach. So the band becomes looser because you have less fat in your stomach. That's why you need to get a fill. I just thought that was interesting. I've had my first fill and will be back to solids tonight for dinner. I keep hearing everyone say it takes several fills to find the right spot.

B52, I have no trouble swallowing Water or Soup, but for over a week I feel like everything I eat just sits in my chest for a long time, even when it is just yogurt that I eat. The doctor was not sure why that is, especially since nothing feels or comes up. I have stuck by the rules pretty well and obviously I am not over eating because I loose weight every week. Just this past week I lost 3#. Oh well, it's a learning process.

I am six months post op and the best.advice I can give is measure.your food!!! This will ensure that you don't overeat regardless. I doNT think I felt consistent restriction until January. But I slowly consistently lost. Chewing.slowly, to liquid and using a baby spoon help tremendously. And all add to feeling full faster. When I was on liquids post op I felt restriction after a few.teaspoons....

I didn't feel anything after my first fill. My second I did. My third was my green zone. Don't be too worried that you are not feeling the effects from a 1st fill. Stick to your food plan.

My surgeon never had me to a liquids to mushies to solids regime after fills. But his NP did my second to last fill. She had me do 3 days clears and 2 days mushies. I was horrified. And then I was HUNGRY. But she had her reasons. We were going into a long weekend and she and my surgeon would be out of town. She did not want me to end up needed an emergency unfill and having to go to the ER. So, the clears and mushies reduced that risk. I followed it, but was not a happy camper.