Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Site And Considering Lap Band

Hi all. I am a 53 year old female who meets the typical profile. Thought I was fat my whole life, multiple attempts at various diets, exercise programs, etc. only to lose and gain more back. I am now >100 lbs overweight and feel like I am going to die if I don't do something. I am going to my first information session on 2/22 and really leaning towards lap band.

My question is how did you decide which surgery was right for you? lap band? gastric bypass? sleeve gastredtomy?

Thanks for your insight!

I picked the lap band because I couldn't stand the thought of stomach cutting...ive only got one of those things and it needs to last me a while! I hope this band will continue to help me lose weight and stay with me for a long long time but if for any reason it becomes problematic, I can have it removed. Good luck!

Thank you! That is kind of how I have been thinking, but then I read these posts about getting stuck and sliming and it really scares me!

Gastric bypass patients get stuck, also. So don't let that be a deciding factor for you!

Go to the info seminar and listen. Talk it over with your surgeon. Pick a surgeon who does all three procedures. Hear what he or she recommends and why. Read on all the forums around about the different types of WLS.

I chose the band because I mainly needed Portion Control, and it seemed far less drastic than gastric bypass. Although the qualifications for both were the same, bypass just seemed too extreme for someone in my medical condition. I was a lower BMI, I was not yet diabetic, but heading that way. I just didn't think the risk of Vitamin deficiencies/malabsorption/malnutrition was worth the benefits I'd get from bypass.

I can't speak intellectually about the sleeve other than to say that most of the risk of it is immediately pre-op. The risk of a leak on the staple line is significant, but it seems that if you come through that period, then further complications are very rare.

Best wishes on your decision!

I liked that I didn't have to alter my anatomy. Either way I would be self pay because none is really covered in Canada (maybe bypass if you have health issues also, but I didn't/don't). If there is an issue it can be removed and your stomach is still there. I have had issues with being stuck, and obviously the first time is the worst. Now I feel I am old hat at it, it's not the end of the world, and it's usually my fault (because I'm not paying attention to how I am supposed to be eating). Do your research, talk to doctors (see multiple docs if you feel the need)....when you have your information you will be able to make an informed decision!

im also 53, 100 lbs overweight too . i was band mid december 2011, im down 17 lbs total and feel great, i only looked at lap band because 2 relatives had it last june and i was so impressed by their progress and stories that i finally went to a seminar in sept , was approved in nov and was banded dec 13th. i didnt even look at any other surgery because this was the least invasive, reverseable and had the quickest recovery time. honestly its been a breeze. i was in and out of the hosp in 5 hrs, rested at home for 1 week but was so bored by the 3rd day i went xmas shopping. the only pain i had felt like a bad pulled muscle for 10 days. the only times ive gotten stuck or slimed was because i ate too fast and wolfed my bite- it was my own damn fault !its not that big of a deal, justa a learning experiance.i dropped from a size 1x to a xl, down from 225 to , and love the compliments im getting and the way im looking and feeling. BEST. DECISION. EVER. GOOD LUCK, AND GO FOR IT !!!

I have to agree with the others, banding doesn't seem as drastic as the bypass. I have friends who have done both, with the bypass ones I see major Hair loss, which I didn't want, and losing weight way too fast and then major surgeries to get rid of the excess skin. Banding seems to be just as effective as long as you follow what your doctor says. I'm pre surgery and looking forward to moving ahead with my journey. My doctor felt bypass was a better option for me because I like sweets, but I know once I set my mind to it I will leave them alone and I am determined to be a success! Just research and ask lots of questions, this site is great for learning all kind of things. Good luck!

I chose the lap band because it was considered the safest of all the surgeries. You also have the option of being adjusted if needed. However, I seriously considered the gastric sleeve as well because there isn't a foreign thing inside of you and there are no adjustments to be made. My doctor felt the lap band was better for me because I have heartburn issues. Gastric bypass has a malabsorption issue that I am not comfortable with at all. I am happy with the lap band but I still had heartburn issues that had to be worked out. Just remember that at the end of the day, it is going to be about the food choices you make and the lap band will prevent you from eating too much.

Thank you all for your encouraging and informative replies! I will keep you all updated. Wednesday = information session.