Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I Expect Too Much?

I had lap band surgery on Aug. 31st, 2011 and have lost 46 lbs, (I gained back 6 of those pounds), and am struggling every day. At first, I was very optimistic and followed what the Surgeon and nutritionist said to the letter. I think I was more scared of the 'alledged' consequences of overeating, however, as time went on I found that I never felt 'full'. I've had 3 'fills' so far and am getting depressed about the lack of results. I know that I have accountability in all of this but I find myself asking, "Why did I get the surgery if it isn't going to make a difference?" If I could've stayed on a diet than I wouldn't have spent the time and money, not to mention discomfort, on the surgery. I really like my Doctors and their staff and they tell me to call anytime, however, when I do, I'm often told to keep the faith and that things will work out. I need something more than that.

I am open to any/all advice. I really need a good kick in the butt! smile.png Thanks for listening!

You have lost 40 lbs since August, that is FANTASTIC! You are way ahead of me, and I've got a year on you ;-). I have had several fills (and a couple defills), and this last one, I think might be good. It can take several months (unfortunately) to get the right levels. Can you get another fill? Please don't give up! You can do it!

wow ! i feel the same exact way as you do ! this is crazy ! ive been really upset and getting down on myself because i had my surgery in august 2011 and i've lost about 20 pounds.... i cant believe that i had this surgery to only lose 20 pounds. yeah i am over eating and not doing the right thing ALL of the time but i am trying sooo hard ! im just really fed up !

wow ! i feel the same exact way as you do ! this is crazy ! ive been really upset and getting down on myself because i had my surgery in august 2011 and i've lost about 20 pounds.... i cant believe that i had this surgery to only lose 20 pounds. yeah i am over eating and not doing the right thing ALL of the time but i am trying sooo hard ! im just really fed up !

I hear you. I'm hoping my latest fill will give me the nighttime restriction I need. I've always had this issue; mornings I am tight, nighttimes I feel like I don't have a band. Right now I am feeling big restriction while trying to drink a Protein Drink. But also, you are down 20. Would you have been able to lose that 20 and keep it off without the band? I know I wouldn't have. So I have to keep that positive thing in mind when all I want to do is say screw it! And then keep trying!

Thank you both for replying! It really helps to know that I'm not 'alone' in the way that I feel. It felt good to be able to vent and not get an earful of criticism because that's not what I need right now. I need to feel supported and encouraged. I don't want to fail, yet again, and am much better at being the one who encourages and supports so it's a big jump for me to reach out on the other 'end'. I am definitely not giving up and will be here for those of you who want to share and also need to vent!

You're not alone. You've done great so far. It just takes time. I wish I could lose faster like others but it's my own journey, my own struggle, my own life. Comparing myself to others won't help me lose weight. Remind yourself that when you're having a bad day.

I still am a work in progress. I'm not perfect. I sometimes eat what I shouldn't and don't exercise enough. But I could NOT have lost what I have without the help from my band AND the support from the people here on LBT.

I have had many fills, up to 7.5 cc, and hoping I'm closer to restriction. Until then though, I'll keep moving along with what I've learned.

Hang in there. :)

But remember the weight for the most part is staying off,

Hang in there! It WILL get better. I'm 2 yrs out and over 100 lbs down, but it took me a LONG time to achieve that. I read on here about people who lose 100 lbs in 6 mth and I'm bummed that it took me 18 mths to lose it. I don't have much extra skin to worry about - that's a plus of losing it slowly. It took over 4 mths for me to reach any kind of restriction and I lost nothing. I also thought I had failed and if I had to stay on a "diet", I wouldn't have gotten the band. After my 3rd fill tho, it kicked in. The lbs started dropping - not really fast, mind you, but steadily. I'm now about 9 lbs from goal of 135. Lately I've been having a tough time with it tho. My band is maxed out (10cc in a 14 cc band!) so I got my very last fill about a month ago. Now I have to do it on my own. It doesn't work nearly as much as it used to. But I've already gotten rid of my larger jeans - so I have to stay in my size 7's! I'm still not dieting, but I am hungry at more times than I used to be.

Hang in there. It does get better. Losing slowly means you will keep it off. And you might have less saggy skin to worry about! Good luck!

Marci

I have only been banded since November 2011 and I am not as enthusiastic as I would like to be about the results either. My best friend/roommate has had hers since July of last year and she has had amazing results. I find myself making comparisons a lot but I always force myself to think these few things and hopefully they will helpl you as well.

1. I do not live the same level of activity as she does since I work in an office and she in a warehouse.

2. It did not take a short amount of time to gain this much weight and it certainly will not take a short amount of time to lose it.

3. I am responsible for telling myself that I am no longer hungry, I have to hold myself accountable for every food that makes its way from my kitchen into my mouth.

4. The doctors said that is would be about five fills before I would really start feeling that full feeling we have heard about through all of the training and appointments.

5. I take the small victories and cherish them, I take the fact that I used to be able to eat one of everything off a menu and not bat an eye and now if I am eating I eat a serving size and am comfortable with it.

6.I am almost religous about using a calorie counter app on my phone. It is amazing what looking at the amount of calories will do to stomp out the supposed hunger I feel. The calorie counter I use is a free app and website they interact so if you add something on one it will be updated on the other. It can seem tedious and kind of a pain at times but I really think it has turned me around for the better. Before any food goes in my mouth I use that and then decide if it is worth it or not. The app is called My Fitness Pal. You set up a profile and then give a goal of weight you want to lose and it gives you a calorie limit for the day. Give this shot it has drastically changed the way I veiw food and losing weight.

7. I think this one the most, I got myself into this and I will not let anything stop me from getting myself out of this situation.

I wish you the best in this challenge, and I hope that you dont give up on the band, it isnt the miracle cure but it does offer you the tools to make better decisions and live a healthier life.

Good Luck ~ Jules

she brought up a really good point. she does not have lots of loose skin, that's because the weight left at a slow and steady pace. that really good!

My weight loss has slowed to 1 or 2 lbs a week also. I try to reassure myself everyday!! I know I would not be down 57 lbs on my own, that's a fact.

don't compare yourself to others just keep going. when the blues hit distract yourself - walk, exercise, do for others, clean anything.

I used to lay in the bottom of a pity bag. I did it for years!! I don't want to be down there anymore, not ever again.

I will be patient, I will keep working on this oh so important goal. why, because I am worth it! God didn't make no junk...

I am so glad that I posted! I so appreciate all of you that have replied - it really does help to hear from you!

I was banded 9/1/11 and I feel the same way you all do. I'm down a little of 40 since surgery and don't get me wrong, I am happy about that. But right now I have been stuck at 215 for the past two weeks. It gets discouraging sometime.