Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Wk Post Op And I've Already Cheated Several Times.....

I agree. The band is not a miracle cure. You don't get the band and then continue eating the way you were before surgery and become model thin. You have to constantly monitor yourself. Watch what you eat and when you eat. Read labels. This isn't a cure all...

At this stage high calorie drinks like shakes and smoothies are NOT bad. I was told by my Dr that I could have high calorie things at this point that I should avoid eating later on. Custard, ice cream, milkshake etc. That is because this stage is all about healing not weight loss.

So to CHEAT by having high cal liquids as fine - they are still liquids.< /p>

To CHEAT by having solids , even if they are healthy and low cal is not fine. They could cause damage and ultimately be a factor in your band slipping, not now but later.

1800?!?!? Makes my 400 at Starbucks sounds great! I tell ya it was worth it!

Yes. Look. I'm not trying to lecture anyone. That is not my goal. I'm just saying, as both a nurse and a lap band patient, there are many hidden calories and fat that we especially need to be aware of. You simply cannot lose weight, even with a band, if you're consuming even one 3000 calorie shake a day.

In general I would say 400 calories in a drink is a lot. I highly recommend finding a ready to drink Protein Shake that you can take with you for "emergency" situations. Especially during your healing post op. Example: Before leaving for your walk you could have had 8 oz of tomato/sweet red pepper Soup 120 cal (good carbs); Premier Brand Ready to Drink chocolate Protein shake (available at Costco) 30 g. Protein for 160 calories. This would have been a healthier better nutrionally balance meal. But you could still have had a black coffee with splendra.

Even during the healing phase you want to keep in mind how much protein are you getting for the calories. From what I could see online the drink you had listed 16 grams of protein (though the cals said 300 not 400).

One lesson I've learned is the importance of planning. If I have a premade shake or Protein Bar with me I don't make bad food choices because I lack options; two I don't over pay for outrageously priced protein products (I'm a cheapskate).

So much good information! I am 1week post op and I have cheated during the liquids phase too. I don't feel great about it but I am not going to let it get me down either. I struggle to get in all the Protein and fluids each day. I had a hiatal hernia repair done at the same time as my band and that has been the worst part. Every time I eat anything I feel totally bloated! The doc said this is normal and due to the swelling from the hernia repair. I think I cheated b/c I really miss chewing and the texture of other foods. This band journey is for a lifetime so when you fall off the wagon you pick yourself back up and get right back on!

Wow people are so rude on here. This is a support thing I thought. Hell I feel the same way you do girl I a freaking hungry as hell! It is not a mental thing I am hungry! Have I ate solid food.... yes I did but they were healthy and I feel fine. I am not going crazy though. I was banded on 3/2/12 so if you want a friend that is going trough the same thing let me know and I will give you my number and we can text or something. I am going to the doctor Thursday and I am going to tell him I am HUNGRY LOL

I personally think it's ruder for someone to pretend that it'll be ok when you may be causing yourself real harm by going against your dr's orders. And you know what? It's not like I haven't done it myself (more than once) so I think I'm in the right place to tell someone who is cheating to stop doing it, for their own good. You're hungry? Hell, so were we ALL at that stage. It's not called bandster hell for nothing. Eating solids when you're not healed is like picking on a wound that's still raw. I'm NOT going to tell you it's ok. But if you still want to do it, who am I to tell you not to despite the advice you've been given. You own your own decisions, good or bad.

I personally would rather someone was blunt and told me to stop doing something that may cause damage than tell me it's ok only to find out later that it made me need a revision. To me, support isn't all heart and flowers and lies to make you feel better. It's about telling you the truth so you know not to do it in case you cause yourself harm.