Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone! I'm 3 days post op and despite only drinking Clear liquids, I haven't come down in weight AT ALL! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to this. Also, can you guys give advice on better tasting Clear Liquids besides broth, diluted juice and Water? Really appreciate the support, help, knowledge and this community! Thanks a bunch :)

-H

You're probably swollen from the fluids you had intravenously in the hospital. When I came home my fiance politely informed me that I had "sausage fingers" (he's lucky I was too weak to punch him!). I wouldn't worry about weight loss at this stage...concentrate on healing from surgery and learning how to eat again, and the weight loss will come!

Thanks Jenn- im just excited and nervous at the same time! You know how it can be with us newbies laugh.png I've heard people say on this forum you can have Tomato Soup during the clear liquid phase. Can anyone confirm that?

Jenn is right, you're probably retaining a ton of Fluid right now. I know i was when I first came home.

Everybody is different and loses different. Some don't lose hardly anything during the healing phase, some lose quite a bit. Just try to remember right now your goal is to heal, not lose weight, and that the weight loss will come once you've started getting filled and you can eat real foods.

As for Tomato Soup, no that's not a clear liquid. That would be under the full liquid category.

The clear liquid phase is definitely the toughest! Hang in there :)

Ok- Thanks for confirming that for me! No Tomato soup! And thanks for your support and advice. I'm just going to tuck away the bathrooms scale until next week because when its conveniently placed in your bathroom, you can't help but step on it every time you go to use the rest room.

I ate sugar free popsicles and drank Water with Crystal Lite. The broth certainly gets old after a while.. thats for sure!

I would actually buy a big can of chicken noodle and then strain all the meat and noodles and carrots out. For some reason the broth from the actual Soup tasted better than the regular broth from a can.

All really great advice! Thank you.

Miss Meow, me too, I thinks it the salt and flavoring is why it tasted so much better! I just started mushy stage yeah, and Tomato Soup is the yums!target.gif

Hi everyone! I'm 3 days post op and despite only drinking clear liquids, I haven't come down in weight AT ALL! I was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar to this. Also, can you guys give advice on better tasting clear liquids besides broth, diluted juice and Water? Really appreciate the support, help, knowledge and this community! Thanks a bunch :)

-H

PLEASE!!!! don't get hung up over loosing weight right now. This is only Phase 1. It's all about you recovering from surgery, getting back to"Normal", as you were before surgery. Then you can progress into the next Phase.

I know everyone is anxious, I was to. But I can tell you from experience it is a process and when everything comes together, you will not believe the results.

I'd actually GAINED 2 pounds the day after surgery, but it was all Fluid buildup and came off over the next couple of days. Nothing to worry about. Luigi's Italian Ice is a good clear "liquid" with some crunch to it.

Your holding Water as you heal ! That will come off in time, and you'll know when it starts.

Countrytime Lemonainde, Look for flavorz DRINK MIX if you can get to a Health food Store. Good Stuff.

I am one week post op as of this morning and I experienced the same thing. I got on the scale Thursday morning and hadn't lost a pound since the morning of my surgery. I put the scale away also as I figured it would drive me crazy if I didn't. I decided on once a week and got on the scale this morning and am down 15 pounds since last Monday. It will happen, give it time. Being a newbie myself, I completely understand what you are going through right now, but it will all work out. And I also agree with the comment on Soups, drained Soup is so much better than plain broth. Unfortunately I did 't figure this out until the end of my liquid stage!

Best of luck on your journey!

Thanks everyone for your wonderful advice!!! You guys are awesome and I love this community. I too put the scale away because it was driving me crazy.

During the clear liquid phase- Is sugar-free Jello and pudding a big no no as well? i'm on day 4 and dying to get something else besides juice Water and popsicles. I dont like the taste of the broth so much. Just wondering about the Jello, pudding and yogurt. I emailed the nutritionist too to ask, but I thought I'd ask people here for their experience.

Jello is fine, but pudding and yogurt are for the mushies phase. Any of the Crystal Lite drink mixes are good. Even flavored water like Vitamin Water and So-bee, which has some weird but wonderful flavors. Apple juice and white grape juice are also fine. Tea with lemon is soothing. I don't know what your doctor allows, but we were permitted to drink regular liquids during the first week, like Tomato juice, coffee with Creamer and Protein Shakes. It was a liquid, rather than a clear liquid, diet starting the day after surgery. Definitely check with your nutritionist as to when to start these.