Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding It Hard To Behave

Ok, so I am 3.5 weeks post op. First week was a breeze. liquid only diet, no hunger, no cravings, no misbehaving. Second week was harder because the swelling went down and the desire to eat returned. Cheated on liquid only diet a little bit. Had some yogurt and some smooth mashed potatoes when I desperately needed some oral gratification with a utensil and chewing. Third week, allowed to eat puree's now. They just aren't cutting it. I went back to work this week (I am an academic, so I was on break) and all the stress, teaching and student complaints is wearing me down. I want food!

Saw my therapist yesterday and complained that I saw on here that there were many, many fellow banders who got banded when I did and had fills (I have none) and were on purees after a week and soft foods after two. What's fair about that?! Her answer was stick it out and that my weight loss center has one of the highest success rates and lowest complication rates in the country. Well, that is great for when you are deciding to do this, but not so hot when you are hungry and can't eat!

Help! I need some inspiration from all you who are going through this with me because even the 12 lbs weight loss since surgery (and nearly 30 since this time last year) isn't enough on some days to overcome the wanting.

Well there is nothing anyone can do or say here to contradict you treatment plan with your Dr.

But I will say, what you are experiencing is very normal. Some people can stick it out better than others.

Your in a phase when your body is healing from surgery. There's nothing to work on your hunger but you.

It's a process along with a time of learning that took me 3-4 months.

But I did get my first fill exactly 4 weeks after surgery, then every 4 weeks after that for a total of 3 fills. Have not had a fill since last May.

I feel you. I am in my 2nd week post op, I'm feel hungrier at times and feel like I should be drinking/eating less. I have cheated a little. I'm afraid I'm not going to lose any weight till I get my first fill which isn't till 6 weeks post op. is this normal?

I think that it is normal. This is hard stuff! For me, just the act of communicating my frustration on here helped. Also, now that I am eating more "normal" food, I am able to cope much better.

scale is still dropping slowly, but it does seem that the only impact the band has right now is restricting the size of my bites I can swallow. I get my first fill this Friday. I hope that it will make the scale drop faster than it has been.

My weight loss clinic told me repeatedly that the first month isn't about weight loss. It's about healing. Let's just try to keep our spirits up, our cheating down and our scales dropping!

I agree..this is Sooo hard! I wish I was having difficulty eating. Lol.. Why would that luck start now? I'm just trying to hold on as well. It's very nice to be down a size in pants. I return to work this week- can't wait because at home i want to snack all day. My first fill is on March 1st. I pray it works..I cant be a diet failure for any more of my life. Bless you all.

LauRN, my first fill did help for a while. But I am now 16 days out and have already lost my restriction. I've lost about 6 lbs since the fill, but I GAINED 2 this past weekend. I have no idea how I gained when I was at like 1000 calories a day and exercising. I am going to contact my new doctor to see how far apart they like to space the fills and hopefully get more in there. I am really struggling with the diet failure right now. I want to say screw it and pass the ice cream! I have resisted thus far, but the scale better go down again real soon!

Irushgreene... I hear your frustration but don't give up! Your body could be doing some reorganizing. It's building muscle as you work out and making sure there's no famine. Is 1000 calories a day enough? You probably know if you go too low your body will hold on to it's resources. Keep up with all of the great changes you've made as they will pay off! Listen to your cheerleaders when the path becomes difficult. Most of all remember YOU ARE WORTH IT!! 