Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never gain weight again

Hi all

I've been a member of lapband sites for about 3 years now. One thing that really bugs me is when people say "i'll never see this weight again". The lapband doesn't guarantee that. I know two people who have gained - one to more than she started at. Once you reach goal it's just like any other person on a diet - you have to be vigilant. Sometimes I think people think it is guaranteed. Its not - it's a real challenge.

This is so true, we all have to realize its a tool and not a cure. I also know people who are gaining w/the band and gaining with gastric bypass. I am amazed at how much I can eat being a banded person with only 1 fill, its like I never was banded lol.

How much have you lost Josy?

Wow Josy that an incredible loss! You're right, hopefully and bandsters we get our "heads" on halfway straight. Until my weight loss, I couldn't remember what it was like to feel good.

shawn

Josygirl, will you move to Las Vegas and be my new best diet buddy? I've seen the same statement over and over from people saying they'll never gain weight again. Even some screen names make that statement.

I think it's great that people believe in positive thinking, but there's also "REALITY." The band can only take us so far, and each of us our different. Some grasp their new eating habits and hang on forever while others (damnit, like me) continue to struggle and gain even before my band was removed.

Josy, YOU ROCK !!!!!!! Good job :) I'm so sorry for the slip. How can the doctors correct it?

Years ago I lost 150 lbs... (no band of course) I kept it off for 10+ years, and I too used to say NEVER will I get that big again..... sigh. I gained back 110 lbs and here I am trying to work it off again with the help of the band. I will never say never again lol.

Can I even count the times I've said "never again" in error?

Josy -

Yes, it is a sad reality that some people will start to regain even if they get to keep their bands.

In my experience it is usually due to one or more of the following:

1. As time goes by, some people are no longer able to tolerate the same level of fill they required to lose the weight. The begin to suffer from reflux, so must have an unfill to resolve that problem, and their capacity to eat increases, so they start to gain.

2. Some people's nutritious choices slip from 80-100% to 75, 60, 50, 20%....

3. Some people are unable to maintain the activity level they required to lose the weight. They lose commitment, or start sloughing off.

I also believe it is possible that some of it may be due to the fact that the body learns to adjust to smaller caloric levels, so as people go tighter and tighter, and eat less and less, their metabolisms sloooooow down further and further. At some point calories can no longer be reduced, so the body starts trying to regain its original setpoint.

This is why I try and caution people to only keep the band as tight as needed to reduce hunger so they can eat "normal" portions and not go hungry between meals. I continue to read everything I can get my hands on regarding metabolism, as I believe it is really key for many of us. How are metabolisms revved up? How do you keep them revved up?

Everything I read insists that you cannot starve your body for calories if you want to keep your metabolism going strong. Eating frequent, small, healthy meals is supposed to be a main factor, as well as building muscle.

I've hit a spot i'm comfortable with so i've started the maintence phase and i'm finding it a challenge. You don't have the "high" of being down a pound or so every week and the weight loss compliments have stopped because everyone has adjusted to your new size. It's just kind of a blah stage, but you still got to work hard at diet and exercise w/ out any glory.

Don't get my wrong i feel better than i've felt in years, but its a very different place than the losing phase.

Never say never. That's true to more than keeping weight off. I said I'd never binge again, yet I'm up 10 pounds in 2 weeks. I said I'd never drink again after my last hangover. I said I'd never gamble again after I lost a ridiculous amount of money. I said I'd never come to LBT again on work hours. I said I'd never...

Never say never.

My weight is gone for good, BECAUSE I plan to keep doing the right things to keep it gone for good.

I refuse to gain the weight that I have lost, so my weight is DEFINITELY not coming back... band or no band.

Those of you who say you'll never gain weight back might be willfully stronger than me, but I'll still be able to sit on you so watch out!

My weight is gone for good, BECAUSE I plan to keep doing the right things to keep it gone for good.

I refuse to gain the weight that I have lost, so my weight is DEFINITELY not coming back... band or no band.

Hi Heather - I don't doubt that you believe you will keep doing the right things. But if we were capable of doing the right things ALL the time we wouldn't have needed the band in the first place. When we are in the early stages of losing weight we are in this euphoric state where everything is beautiful. But the reality is that we can't (or I can't) suppress all the old emotional eating habits forever. And that's when the real battle begins.