Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Self Pay - Should I Travel To A Different State To Find Cheaper Procedure?

So I recently found out that my insurance does not cover any sort of weight management issues (jerks!), including bariatric surgery. I am still very interested in having the Lap Band procedure, and am considering doing the self pay option (even though it's SO expensive!!) I live in Stamford, CT, and have been working with the Stamford hospital (a great team) but I have been informed that the self pay cost is $16, 500, and since my insurance doesn't cover the surgery, they also recommend taking out a separate insurance policy for $1,500 in the event of surgery complications, which comes to a grand total of $18,000. I have read a few other forums from people in the southern US and western US that have done self pay for about $8000-$9000. I live in a suburb of NYC, so everything is typically more expensive than in other areas of the country, but the difference in price ($10,000!!!) seems astronomical. For this reason, I am considering trying to find a hospital in another part of the country that will allow me to have the surgery there. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't know if this is even possible. The thought seems crazy, because I know the LB surgery requires a lot of maintenance, not to mention pre-surgery interviews / checkups / etc, but I just can't seem to justify the difference in price. Would getting on a plane a few days after surgery to fly home be completely out of the question?? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!! :)

My personal opinion....stay local. If you ever have a problem you will have your doctor close. I have had an issue before and could not imagine what I would have done if I didn't have my doctor within an hour away. This is a serious surgery. Keep your support team close to you. Again, this is just my opinion but please consider all the factors before making this decision. My best to you.

Im not in the US but common sense would say stick to local if possible. What u could do is investigate fill doctors in your area so if u ended up going out of state u have a fill doctor local to you, also phone around and find other centres and see what their costings are. It might be less expensive if you dont need any of the before hoops that insurance pay makes u jump through. In the uk we see the sugeon book a date and set to with the nutritionist. Many self pay in the UK travel to belgium for surgery, theres no guarantee's of problem free wherever u go. If u feel confident u dont need all the before stuff then try and find somewhere where u dont need to do that. I know others on here have gone for surgery 2 weeks after initial visits when they are self pay, its certainly worth exploring anyways :)

You have to do whats right for u so good luck :)

I agree you should stay local if possible. I have had problems with ports flipping, so it is beneficial that my surgeon is nearby. Also, a lot of Dr.'s will not fill if another did the surgery, so, you may have to travel just to get fills. Check with your hospital billing dept. Some will offer discounts if you pay cash up front. You might also check into a private insurance policy. Blue cross offers some individual coverage policies for self employed persons...maybe you can find someone that will offer something to work with your current coverage that will help pay. Keep after your insurance company. Sometimes they just need you to prove you need the surgery, enlist the help of your dr. get them to send evidence and a letter that you need this surgery, appealing the decision. As for cost, I live in south Alabama, my cost would have been over 17000. without insurance...then add the two flipped ports another 12k ...I hope any of this helps. Keep fighting!

I live in Maryland but traveled to Florida to have my surgery. I did this because I wanted to have the band with plication and this was the most convenient doctor for me because I'm recovering at my parents home. I was banded on the 6th and will be traveling back home on the 21st, I probably could have traveled home much sooner. My surgery was covered by insurance and I'm assuming that I can also see another doctor locally but I am planning on seeing my surgeon in FL for the first few fills. My surgeon is also going to try to find the best practice for me to work with near home.

I would say that if you want to go the route of going out of state either make sure that your doctor will facilitate finding a local doctor for you to work with, or you need to try to find a local doctor who will be willing to work with you afterwards.

I'm going to take the other side of this discussion. I had my surgery in Mexico and it was FIRST CLASS all the way!

One thing that I didn't do and I would advise anyone considering travelling for their surgery, is set up a fill doctor first. They are easy to find and the surgery clinic will give you lots of options..............BUT...... The good news is, I saved over $10k and that is taking into account flights and hotels.

So there is the other side of the coin for you to consider

Well I had my surgery five hours from here which was fine but ended up having to find a closer fill doc and that has cost me $500 per fill! I would stay close to home if possible. You are talking about a lot of money so its a hard choice...my self pay was 15K and then free fills for one year and $100 per fill after that year.

The thing is if I had known how well this would work in terms of getting to a normal BMI and staying there with relative ease...I guess I would still do the same...hard to feel comfortable outlaying that much money when you are never sure how it will all work out!

I had to self pay also. I considered going to Mexico for surgery and decided against it. The treatment I have received before and after surgery has been worth the extra money I had to pay. I also found out that most doctors will not do adjustments or treat you if you are not their patient. It is not worth traveling to get a better price. Stick with a local doctor you trust.

I was self pay too. I went to seminar on a Saturday morning with my husband with up to date medical records and paid $100 for a consulation after seminar. I had my surgery on the following Monday 1½ days later. When you are self pay you do not have to go through all kinds of tests if your health records are up to date. I use a very good surgeon and a Hospital that was a Center of Excellance. 2½ years ago and since then my surgeon has moved and left our records with another set of surgeons which I have seen 2 times and no problems.

If I was you I would travel BUT stay in the US. Most Doctors will work with you if you had your surgery in the US. Mexico may have good Dr.s but right now it is too dangerious to travel there. Houston, Texas has a lot of great surgeons and I am sure if you contact some of them they will give you information about someone close to you who can fill you and do your aftercare.

2½ years ago I paid $12,999. and that included a year of office visits and fills now in the Houston area is is about $8000 - $9000. Big difference! Hope that helps.

Cheri

I know a girl on here who recently went out of state to have hers done is she ended up with some complications and NO one locally wanted to treat her. See if you can get the surgeon to make a co agreement with some one locally to see you in the case of emergency and for fills, ect.. It was ugly for her in Dec.. She was in pain and had to fly in pain to another state. She said she would never do that again.

I think that the continued support that I get from my doctor's office on almost a weekly basis is a huge factor to my success. So for me, I would have never wanted to go far.