Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery After Lapband

Hi, again!

I have scheduled my arm lift surgery for Feb. 17th. I started looking for sleeveless or spaghetti strap sleeping garments for during the healing process, and can't find any that don't go over the head (no zipper or buttons except for the pajama type things, and I don't like to wear things around my waist when I am sleeping. So my question is, after the arm surgery, can you get an over the head nightie on (ie., raise your arms enough to get the thing on!)? Thanks again for sharing your experience and info!

Just a thought, but why not go to one of the Dept stores and look, there are some (walmart) that still have those cotton type sun dresses that can be stepped in to. They are roomy enough that you could sleep in them.

Good Luck!!!! I can't wait till I figure out what I will do about all my excess!

I'm searching for a PS in the Hampton Roads, VA area. Anyone know of any that have had lapband patients. Apparantely there are not alot of them out there that are familiar with band patients. I've seen 3 and neither of them have done a band patient. When I asked one of them what they would do about my port, he said "I'll just take it out" EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEekkk! I nearly ran out of his office screaming. lol HELP! I wanted to use someone familiar with the band/tubing/port, etc... Also, I'm considering having tummy and breasts done at the same time. Anyone done this?

oh, and for those that have done tummy/breast, how soon did you resume physical activity. I'm run 30-40 miles per week, and am scared to death of not being able to run for months.

Just had my arm reduction surgery 12 days ago. Love my new arms, even though they still need to be wrapped. But was off the pain meds after two days.

One thing they didn't tell me til I called frantically the first night after surgery is that the bottom portion of the arms are numb as well as the top (cutting and stitching "only" occurs between the elbow and arm pit). The numbing subsides gradually, about 2-3 months.

If looking for plastic surgery, I highly suggest you go to a few, including out of area. Get written quotes, and then take the lowest quote and go to the dr. you really want and see if they will match the price. i live in NCal and got my arm surgery in SCal and saved $2,500! (was going to be $7000 in NCal, got it for $4500 in SCal). So for my tummy tuck/liposuction which I hope to do before summer, NCal has quoted $9000, SCal quote is $5400. So I'm in negotions with my NCal dr. office to try to get the SCal price. Will post any updates.

oh, and for those that have done tummy/breast, how soon did you resume physical activity. I'm run 30-40 miles per week, and am scared to death of not being able to run for months.

First of all, amazing that you run 30-40 miles a week!! I can't answer your question about resuming activity, but I did ask my plastic surgery about combining surgeries. He said he bases it on the time under sedation--he has a limit. For instance, he would do the arms and the Tummy Tuck, but not the tummy tuck and the lower face lift cause I would be under for too long. So guess it is what the surgeon is comfortable with, and you! Remember those total make-over shows a few years back when they did everything in one fell swoop?!

Thank you for your thoughts. I firmly believe running is what keeps my weight off. My eating has increased since I had my band done almost 4 years ago. I'm pretty much maxed out on my fill, and don't have a ton of restriction, so I have to do something to keep the weight in check. ha! I visited with a couple surgeons, and most will do the Tummy Tuck and breast lift together. They don't like to do tummy and legs, because I guess with tummy you hunch over, and with legs you are supposed to stay straight, so one would kind of outdo the other. I haven't even asked about face, etc.. Congrats. on your arms. I would like to have mine done, but I had to pick my battles. I can only do this once. $$$ does not allow a multiple surgery, so I chose the two parts I want to do most. My breasts have tons of skin, and it flaps when I run, even with the best bra possible. (I know tmi) hahah sounds nasty ha? My stomach isn't terrible, but def have a slight apron, and I figure since I'm doing one anyway, I would go for it. Maybe down the road I can do another part if I win the lottery, lol. Thanks again for getting back to me. I'm going to see another surgeon next week.

They told me I would be under like 5 hours for both. That sounds like a really long time to me. I have put the surgery off for a long time, because I'm scared to death. I'm afraid of never waking up or something. I couldn't imagine having all the stuff done at once like those extreme makeovers. They must have been in miserable pain. ugh

Oldie-glad to hear everything went so well. I didn't mention numbness because i didn't have any. sorry.

luv-it will take a couple months to be able to really excersise after a tt. my lower belly was still numb after a year which the dr said was normal because of all the trauma the area and the tightening of the stomach muscles.

Vonhelzing: Thanks for the info. Did you have a straight Tummy Tuck, or did you do the circumferential deal all the way around. is anyone familiar with this? I've read some about it, but am unsure what to do. I've had one Dr. recommend the circum, and one Dr. recommend just the straight tummy tuck. The Dr. that recommended the straight said you get a tighter tummy tuck just doing the tt rather than the circum. Any advice? I guess since I can only do this one time, I was considering what would give me the best "bang for my buck" per say. lol The circum lifts the hips, but, tightens the tummy, etc.. but maybe not as tight of a tt as if you just did the tt alone. I guess that's because with the circum you stand straighter while healing and with the tt alone you are a little hunched forward. Standing straighter pulls on the tummy a bit and can loosen the tightness of the tt... not substantially, but some. Any advice from others that had the circum, or the straight would be great. I have so many questions, and this is why I have NOT done it yet. ha! Thanks everyone!

oh.. and vonhelzing, I noticed after reviewing your profile, we pretty much started at the exact same weight ( I started at 254, and we finished at the same weight. I'm at 164. lol Well.. I fluctuate bet 162 and 164. We lost like the exact same amount of weight with the band. When did you have your surgery? How is your restriction now? I'm actually almost 4 years out.

I never heard of the circum way so i gues mine was a straight tt.

i was banded october of 08. i kept the weight off for a long time then last november and 1cc taken out because i started throwing up alot. well of course i gained back 20lbs. i've lost 5lbs with 2 small fills so i'm working on the other 15lbs. i think i have good restriction right now. i wouldn't go any tighter.

It's a constant battle keeping the weight off. You had your surgery a month after me. Do you have the realize band, or the original lap band? My Dad had the band as well, and was constantly throwing up, and has had nothing but problems and is having it removed next week. He's gained all his weight back. It scares the crap out of me. I have been able to maintain within a couple lbs, but I literally run 30 miles a week+ to keep it off. I don't have a ton of restriction, and never really did. It's weird. I had some definitely, but not the restriction they said I would have. I am able to eat way more than the cup of food they said I would. I eat a pretty regular sized meal. Not as much as I did before, but a normal meal. I know that my weight is staying in check because of my exercise, and if I didn't exercise this much I would gain because right now with all of it I just maintain. It's frustrating. Of course.. I allow myself more treats than I used to when I first had the band done, but I think that's because my restriction is much less now than back then as well. Also, I'm at the max in my realize band for for fills. My Dr. said I could prob go slightly more, but I think I'm at 10cc in my 9cc band. I can't remember. It's been so long since I had my last fill. lol I haven't had a fill in over a year.

i have the original lap band. I know what you mean it being a struggle. it's psychological for me because i want to eat more like a normal person so i eat the crap. it's so hard to get the protien in because you can't eat as much. i'm trying to get back in to the eating habits of when i first started. i told my DH to hide the popcorn maker. i eat like a bowl every night. good for you excersising. i hate it and don't do it. i do play softball in the summer but other that that i stay away. tried the treadmill but it is sooooo boring.

i think we all eat the crap now and again after being out this far. It's easier because it goes down better than the Protein. The protein does give more restriction, and that's what the band is designed to do. I think because I exercise so much I tell myself that I can eat the girl scout Cookies, etc... cause I'll just burn it off. That's probably why I just maintain with all the running I do. I def need to be stricter and get back to my band way of eating like I did when I first had the surgery. I like the protein, but can't eat it constantly like they want you to. I can not eat meat for Breakfast every day. I'm a Cereal / yogurt eater, and I prefer that in the morning, so it doesn't hold me as long by any means. It's hard to make yourself stick to the band way of eating, but that is what works. I know that. The treadmill is VERY boring. I can not run on the treadmill. It's drudgery. I run outside. I started by doing the couch to 5k program on my treadmill, and then started running organized races. It's so much better running with the groups in the races. It's very motivating. I got my husband started, so he runs with me, and that helps ALOT! I love popcorn too. It's the only reason I go to the movies. ;-) Softball is a great form of exercise. What about walking? Good Luck, I know you'll get the other 15 off now that you have better restriction with the fill you got. Def hide that popcorn maker... or better yet.. throw it out! LOL! That's what I do if I start snacking. If I have a special occassion with company over etc.. I'll eat a dessert or whatever, and then when they are gone, I throw the rest out in the dumpster so I can't eat it. Sometimes hubbs will hide it, but I WILL find it, so I throw it out. lol I have a terrible sweet tooth and if it's in my house I have NO willpower.

It's interesting though because my Dad had the original band and he had throwing up problems really bad. The realize is a little more flexible, so you don't throw up quite as much, but the downside is, I guess because it's more flexible, I don't quite have the restriction that he had. He lost a ton of weight, but could not eat ANY meat without throwing up. I never had that issue. That sucks. He's having it removed. I would die without my band. I can't imagine ever having to have it removed.