Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You Say The Band Didn't Work

Puppypaws.. Are you asking me that? lol

if so ..no .

My post is referring to the same lady that basically visits every post and argues with pretty much every one she speaks to.

All she does is BASH the Band. Every thing she writes is like she's trying to scare others away. It's like she stays on this site JUST to stop ppl from getting it because of her experience. Just a very negative person.

I personally dont care to even speak to her when she does nothing but argue. But if she wanted help and support, I would be there to help and support any one who needs it.

What happened with your band?

Yes, I was afraid you were referring to my post. I know EXACTLY who you mean though. What a downer!

I was the 2nd person my doctor ever did the lap band on and the tubing came undone. I never even felt as restricted as I do now and I was only banded 12/13. I am very happy with this band now. Unfortunately it took my husband to get the dr. to order an X-ray. Even though I had asked for one several times before.

All I lost was a little time and some enthusiasm, but I had the surgery again and am feeling a difference already and am back on the weight loss track.

Im confused why some people are continuing to stay on this website when they SAY "the band didn't work".

It looks like they are here to cause trouble and bash the band?

If you SAY the BAND is the reason you didn't lose weight. Then move on. right? Not that I can say leave, because obviously I can't and wouldn't do that . But i've noticed the same person going post to post arguing with people.

Honestly, how do we know the band is preventing you from losing weight? How do we know you didn't eat right ? Just saying.

The band helps with over eating. It does not make you lose weight. They don't place the band and the weight just comes off.

It's all about your diet. Sounds like some one needs something to blame it on. Im new WITH the BAND, but im not NEW when it comes TO the band. Ive done a lot of research on the Band.

The Negative Nelly you are talking about has been posting here on LBT for a very long time and has always been negative. Many members have tried to get her to stop, but I think that just adds fuel. If she is getting you down, just put her on your ignore list so you never see what she posts.

In my own experience I have to disagree with you on one point. The band has worked so well for me that they placed it, filled it, and the weight did come off with no effort. Love the band :)

Of course there have been quite a few Negative Nellys that give me a hard time about that. They say I will make the newbees think the band is magic and they won't have to "work the tool". Well, that IS how it works for me! I do believe the thing is magic.

Humming bird.... That's how it just so happened to work for you. But technically It's not made to do that. Lol When my band was placed , I did drop 13 lbs fast. But that's because I was on liquids and soft foods and 1/4 cp per serving. So the band didn't do it, my diet did lol

The negative lady isn't getting me down at all. I actually feel sorry for her.

But I can't understand why she WANTS to stay on here if she so angry with the Lapband. Lol

IMHO all weightloss surgeries are designed to work that way.

There are spammers/trolls on every forum. They just hang around and inject negativity. I just ignore them (Don't feed the trolls rule) and hopefully they get bored and move on.

But, I can also see why some people might be disappointed with the band (not me, I'm very happy with it!) if they got it based on some of the advertising I have seen lately. Those ads seem to imply that you can lose weight without dieting, without exercise and very quickly. The ads don't even mention that surgery is involved. They are very misleading and if you believed them, you could be pretty disappointed.

Gotta read the fine print.:)

I just can't believe that a Dr would let you go through with a procedure without making sure that you understood how it worked.

It takes people AT LEAST a month to get to the point where you actually complete all requirements to get the band. Even a self pay patient must undergo the four or five meetings with the psychologist, the dietician, the physical therapist, and the nurse practitioner. At this point they are told appropriate foods, etc and what to expect from the band and how to use it as a tool.

I do not believe that the person who brings so much negativity was not given the same treatment and rules as everyone else. I have noticed that each time someone asks her what she was eating (to try and find why the band didn't work) she never responds. She also always blames the manufacturer's advertising from misleading her, but how many of us have seen a commercial and taken its claims at face value?

if that were the case, I would have been skinny long ago with a diet pill...

Stephysanders..... I agree 100%

some times I feel like saying o is lady .... Look lady you screwed up and DIDN'T follow the dr diet plan or the nutritions orders. Stop the pity party and get your ass back on track and stop blaming "the band"!!!!! Lol

The Negative Nelly you are talking about has been posting here on LBT for a very long time and has always been negative. Many members have tried to get her to stop, but I think that just adds fuel. If she is getting you down, just put her on your ignore list so you never see what she posts.

In my own experience I have to disagree with you on one point. The band has worked so well for me that they placed it, filled it, and the weight did come off with no effort. Love the band :)

Of course there have been quite a few Negative Nellys that give me a hard time about that. They say I will make the newbees think the band is magic and they won't have to "work the tool". Well, that IS how it works for me! I do believe the thing is magic.

Humming Bird

I'm in your corner also.

I quess what it comes down to is, if you have a lot of will power, and can "diet" with some self discipline, then perhaps a minimal amount of fill, or even none, plus hard work on your part, you are successful using the "tool" along with your own efforts.

Speaking only for myself, not anyone else, I don't have the discipline. I needed a tight band as opposed to the "tool", and it has been a easy "Magic Bullet" with little or no effort on my part. I am 60 years old, and have tried every diet known to man, plus hypnotism, and failed at each one.

But being in the "green zone" for me, has been great.

Like I said, whatever works for everyone is good. This is how it works for me.

Surgery has been the only thing that has worked for me.

To each their own, whatever works for them is Ok.

good topic. i too think those who say the band didn't work for them just thought the lbs would fall off immediately, not just a gradual process, which is better for you anyways. when you lose slower, you don't get the extra saggy skin that most get with the gastic bypass cause they loose the weight really fast. it is a tool that you have to work with, if you don't work with it, then it won't work for you at all! can't keep eating the crap that got you there in the first place, no point in getting the band if you are going to continue to eat crappy foods. :)

i love my band, yes i have had a couple of stuck issues, and vomited, but that was my own fault by not chewing well or eating something i shouldn't have eaten. :)

I also wonder what some of these people are expecting.

They say they never reached restriction that their band was either too tight or too lose.

What do they think restriction is?

It is not having your food choices limited.

It is not only being able to eat healthy foods.

It is not something that will stop you from eating Cookies, chocolate, icecream etc.

It is not something that will make correct food choices for you.

What it is or should be is the ability to eat a small portion of recommended foods and that keeps you satisfied for a fairly long period of time. That could be 3 hours it could be longer. Some people can manage on 3 meals per day, others need a healthy snack in between. If you are not hungry then it should be easier to not constantly graze but because grazing does not come from real hunger but from boredom, or stress or some other reason it can't stop it. Your head has to do that.

So to me if someone says that their band has not helped and they have no restriction that would mean that they could eat as much as they wanted in 1 sitting( of any food whatsover), without taking small bites and chewing slowly, that it would not cause them to get stuck and that they would still be hungry soon afterwards.

That I find very difficult to believe.

I also wonder what some of these people are expecting.

They say they never reached restriction that their band was either too tight or too lose.

What do they think restriction is?

It is not having your food choices limited.

It is not only being able to eat healthy foods.

It is not something that will stop you from eating Cookies, chocolate, icecream etc.

It is not something that will make correct food choices for you.

What it is or should be is the ability to eat a small portion of recommended foods and that keeps you satisfied for a fairly long period of time. That could be 3 hours it could be longer. Some people can manage on 3 meals per day, others need a healthy snack in between. If you are not hungry then it should be easier to not constantly graze but because grazing does not come from real hunger but from boredom, or stress or some other reason it can't stop it. Your head has to do that.

So to me if someone says that their band has not helped and they have no restriction that would mean that they could eat as much as they wanted in 1 sitting( of any food whatsover), without taking small bites and chewing slowly, that it would not cause them to get stuck and that they would still be hungry soon afterwards.

That I find very difficult to believe.

You have just touched upon something I read here all the time. When I do I keep my mouth shut, or only state what has been successful for me.

And that is;

There are people who say they have no restriction.

There are people, who after a fil, feel restriction, vomit, and run to the Dr for a "slight" unfil.

There are people who say the band has done nothing for them. Doesn't work.

There are people who say you need to bear down, bite the bullet and use your willpower.

Is there a relationship between all of these.

Again, whatever works for you, then great. I will proclaim what works for me.

Yes I think it is different for everyone but I also think a lot of people have expectations that far outweigh the reality.

I think a lot of people have ended up too tight by not recognising that they already have restriction. In some ways it seems to be like the Quest for the holy grail or the fountain of youth. People keep chasing some mythical goal.

If you work with it then every fill makes some kind of difference. And you are right people do run back for unfills far too quickly. When you have a fill you need to readjust your eating habits, get used to your new normal , make sure you are chewing properly etc. Give the fill some time to settle. If you can't get liquids down then yes you are probably too tight(unless it is because you are stuck). But if you go for a fill and then discover that something you could eat before the fill gives you problems then readjust. Cut it out for a while, take a smaller bite, chew more, wait longer between bites. Most of the time that fill will settle and you will adjust.

But most importantly people should not be depending on "restriction" to make healthy choices for them. Unfortunately it can never stop you eating chocolate!

Great topic... The one thing I love the most about this site is the support and positivity. I was banded almost 2 months ago and am doing great. I believe this is going to change my life for the better :) Glad to hear all the supporters out there!