Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First Fill- Just 19 Days After Surgery

I saw my surgeon yesterday and am scheduled to be banded on Jan 4. He made an appointment fo me to get my first fill on Jan 23 in the hospital while doing a barium swallow. I was suprised at how soon this was, but have to trust my Dr.....

I was banded on 12/15/11 and went for my follow-up appt with my surgeon on 12/28. She asked how I was doing and I told her great except that I am very hungry (I'm still on purees and following the food plan exactly). She suggested that I get a fill and gave me one that day. I never expected that at all and didn't ask for one. I already had 2 cc in my band from surgery and she gave me 1 more cc.

In case you are wondering, the fill didn't hurt much at all. I felt a pick when she inserted the needle and that was it.

Jo-Ann

Banded 12/15/11

thanks for the info angood luck !!!! Just curious, did the fill help with the hunger? Are you feeling full sooner ?

The first couple of fills will not do a whole lot of restriction. The only way to get results, from my experience, is will power during the first few fills. I was banded on 10/20/11. Had fill 11/23, and 12/20. Next fill 1/18/12. The fills do keep me from going crazy like I used to (like five servings at a Chinese buffet). Now, a western omelette with half the hash browns fill me up for four hours. I used to be able to eat the toast and hash browns and maybe a side of biscuit and gravy. Those days are over. The fill process is painless. Less prick than a needle shot I'd say. Very dull area of the body. The skill of the doctor matters. Friend had to go to ER and said other doctors take several attempts to hit the spot. The benefit of the first two visits have been nutrition counseling and accountability. It helps to have the doctor tracking my efforts. One thing I've learned is the band is not magic bullet! You gotta do the work! Ice cream, chips, chocolate, shakes, nuts, and a million other horrible foods will go right down!!! The good stuff like boiled eggs, chicken and turkey will slow you down. And then once your body gets comfortable on 1700 calories, your going to have to work out to get a measurable weight loss month to month.

thanks for the info angood luck !!!! Just curious, did the fill help with the hunger? Are you feeling full sooner ?

It's kind of soon to see if the fill helped with my hunger since I had to go back to liquids for 24 hrs after my fill. Prior to that fill, I would be satisfied with my pureed meal for about 1-2 hours. Yesterday, I ate a little more at the recommendation of my surgeon and was staying satisfied for about 2-3 hours. So maybe the fill helped a little or maybe it was because I ate a little more. I had been eating between 700-800 calories on purees and she suggested that I increase it to 1000-1200. I have had no problem getting my Protein in since I started purees.

Keeping up the Protein 1st. And with every meal helps I really notice that you feel full longer. I'm still on full liquids. I have to make sure to eat enough. I put in on fit pal everyday and find a night that I haven't eat enough during day. I fell hungery some but no much of an appetite. I trying to a good sch. Of eating now while last and this is my biggest problem. Lol I'm little worried about mushies time but Im suppose to go have first fill before I start mushies.

I'm still pre-op, but from everything I've read, it says fills are done every 6 weeks, except for the first fill, which is done a month after surgery. There's always a chance of the band slipping or problems from surgery. So many people insist on getting all fills done under flouroscopy. It costs more, but they feel it's worth it.