Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Limited To What I Can Tolerate To Eat

I had the surgery in May, received my fill in September. I don't know if I am to restricted or I just can't eat certain things anymore. No Pasta will stay down, or potatoes or bread. Does anyone else experience this? I can't eat any red meat it doesn't stay. I've lost alot of weight but I think it is because more comes back up than stays down. I can eat salad, sometimes chicken. Fish stays. Not all vegetables. I chew, chew, chew but certain things just don't stay or feel good going down. Is this normal? Go back next week to doctor. I can't imagine getting a fill as I think I am too restricted.

Same thing with me. Banded in May, not much restriction until my 3rd fill in September. I cannot have ANY bread, lean meat, or most Pasta. I have a really hard time eating anything for Breakfast. Usually just have a Protein Shake. lunch is also hard, Soup works best. dinner is my best bet for real food, but I still have to choose wisely or I pay for it. I'm hoping that after loosing 10 or more pounds my band will loosen up some or I will have to go in for a light unfill. Funny though I had very little restriction at 5 cc, but a 6 cc, I'm too tight.

Sounds like your bands are doing their job :)

I have quite a long list of foods I can no longer tolerate. I am doing fine without those foods. I think many of those foods are what made me obese anyway. (bread, Pasta, .....)

My surgeon told me not to eat rice or Pasta (it can expand in your band causing discomfort), no breads (why waste space on 2-3 bites of carbs). Careful with veggies stringy is bad such as asparagus, celery or with heavy skins like corn and peppers (harder to break down). Now what to eat what? What works for you! In 3 years post surgery what I ate day 30 and what I ate day 1095 is different. For Protein I eat alot of fish, never hamburger but some good red meat, chicken tends to get stuck so I usually avoid. Veggies I eat fresh spinach or edamame. Yogurt works for me. I also do a high Protein Shake for breakfast-- I do not eat eggs so this has been the best solution for me plus I usually get 20-30 grams of my protein in one drink! Do not make the mistake of resulting to "soft food" because it is easier such as ice cream or mashed potato! Find the good food that works for you but remember protein first (40-80grams per day) then fruits and veggies then if you have room carbs.

I was eating anything i wanted except for steak. Been scared to try that. Then I got a fill. Since the fill I find that I have to be a little more cautious. I do find that first thing in the morning it seems tight. The solution for me is to drink some hot tea when I first get up, Then half and hour later I eat breakfast. It works for me. I also find that certain breads dont work well either. I pretty much stick to whole grain sandwich thins if I eat any bread. The doughy yeast breads are not good. I have to eat more slowly and chew better. But isnt that the reason I got the band- to slow my eating down and restrict the quantities. Why yes, it is! That is what I needed. I am doing well with the band and using it to control my obsessive eating.

That being said, while it is great that it is restricting the bread and Pasta intake a little bit, you definitely should be able to eat chicken and and your other healthy foods, so maybe it is just a little too tight. Throwing up is not good for your band, so you need to get your situation fixed soon. Good luck and dont give up. Find that sweet spot that will allow you to use the band for what it is intended for.

Yep. That's how it basically is for me also. I have a long list of things I don't even think of eating anymore. And what I di eat, I eat like a bird.

Fish and chicken work the best for me. Bought a good electric wok and do a lot of stir frying for my main meal

Thanks. I was just thinking it was me. I go back next week. Thanks for all the comments. It was helpful!

There are a lot of things I cannot eat either. In the morning the band tends to be tight for me as well. I can tolerate usually a small portion of scrambled eggs and two slices of turkey bacon which I break into very small pieces. I also have Protein Shakes or Greek yogurt with a little granola. chicken, rice, and bread does not go down well so I stay away from it. I eat a lot of lean ground beef or ground turkey. Fish is my best friend. I found myself eating a lot of soft food like Pasta or mashed potatoes but I am now staying away from that too because since it goes down easier I can eat more and that's not something I want at the moment. I tend to tolerate food better later in the day vs earlier as well. I am not sure why.

Sounds like your bands are doing their job smile.png

Exactly!!!!! That's what it's all about. What did you think would happen when they put a band around your stomach???

Now it is about learning to eat the right foods, learning to eat properly and differently to the old/bad habits.

It is a NEW LIFESTYLE!!

Why are you fat?? Because you eat too much!!!

What does the band do?? Stops you from eating too much!!!!

Simple