Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are You Eating?

Well I'm 18 days post op surgery and I'm doing well. However what I'm going thru now is that I'm actually hungry. I've followed the doctors instructions to the "T". But I can't starve myself. Yesterday I was so hungry that I went to KFC and got some popcorn chicken. I was able to eat it just fine by chew, chew, and chewing some more. No problems at all. I'm technically able to introduce regular food not my diet this Thursday. Will a couple of days kill me? The shakes and the Soup just aren't keeping me full. Any suggestion would be welcomed.

Well it probably won't kill you but it also won't kill you to follow the instructions your dr gave you. I have had my band since 1/24/11. I am a HUGE rule breaker! If you are anything like me and you start breaking the rules now you might have trouble staying on track. I lost weight very quickly at first when I was following the rules then I quit following the rules and actually gained 6lbs back. Just be careful and good luck!

I would suggest that if you don't follow the rules, you should choose healthier foods then KFC like lean meats and vegetables. Good luck

My doctor told me that if I didn't follow, the "new" stomach could stretch. Even if you can tolerate the food, it isn't doing you any favors. I agree with 911, PLEASE make healthier choices, even if it is KFC. We're all here for you - rooting for you to succeed.

I asked my doctor telling him about week after my surgery I couldn't stay full. He advised me to try some soft food. I was eating soft vegetable and I tried a few to see if i had any problems. After I waited for little bit I noticed everything was fine and I took things slow.

There are days where I am not hungry at all. They told me that is common and try to eat. I do keep liquids down all the time.

I would stay away from fast food places and try something healthier.

I would not move to solids until Thursday. Also if you go to KFC they do have grilled chicken. Take off the skin and it is pretty healthy. You can use BBQ dipping sauce if it is too dry.

Moving from shakes and Soup to KFC "fried" chicken just doesn't make sense. You're supposed to start with soft foods. Your stomach has not broken down solids in almost a month. And the first thing you ask it to do is break down fried chicken? If you'rre not going to follow your doctor's instructions, at least make smart choices.

I echo the sentiments of some of the other folks here. No KFC. Try some scrambled eggs or cottage cheese. They're still soft foods, but filling... especially the eggs. Great Protein too. You need to start slowly introducing the foods to find your tolerance level. Once you dive in and devour a food that gets stuck the first time, you will regret having shoveled it in. Take your time. Find soft, filling foods and drink a lot of Fluid. Good luck!

Moving from shakes and Soup to KFC "fried" chicken just doesn't make sense. You're supposed to start with soft foods. Your stomach has not broken down solids in almost a month. And the first thing you ask it to do is break down fried chicken? If you'rre not going to follow your doctor's instructions, at least make smart choices.

The KFC was a one time thing as I was starving, in a rush and nothing to eat at home at the time. I honestly forgot that they had grilled chicken. I have followed the doctos instructions to the "T" and I'm grateful that just a couple pieces of popcorn chicken went down just fine and I haven't had any issues since surgery. I'm looking for suggestions on what others are eating or did eat durning this stage of their recovery.

I echo the sentiments of some of the other folks here. No KFC. Try some scrambled eggs or cottage cheese. They're still soft foods, but filling... especially the eggs. Great Protein too. You need to start slowly introducing the foods to find your tolerance level. Once you dive in and devour a food that gets stuck the first time, you will regret having shoveled it in. Take your time. Find soft, filling foods and drink a lot of Fluid. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your suggestions as that is what I was looking for. Since this post I have gone shopping for some more filling soft foods.

I would not move to solids until Thursday. Also if you go to KFC they do have grilled chicken. Take off the skin and it is pretty healthy. You can use BBQ dipping sauce if it is too dry.

Thank you for the suggestion that was a one time thing and I forgot KFC does grilled chicken.< /p>

I remember when I first started eating soft foods. nutritionist mentioned scrambled eggs, I ate it with a little shredded cheese and salsa! so good, try it !!

I was not a scrambled egg girl but I sure love it now. check out the section of food ideas, also there are many good sites with great recipe ideas.

thanks for your honesty, but please care of yourself. keep us posted, we DO want you to succeed!!!!

I remember when I first started eating soft foods. nutritionist mentioned scrambled eggs, I ate it with a little shredded cheese and salsa! so good, try it !!

I was not a scrambled egg girl but I sure love it now. check out the section of food ideas, also there are many good sites with great recipe ideas.

thanks for your honesty, but please care of yourself. keep us posted, we DO want you to succeed!!!!

Readytogoforit thank you so much for your suggestion and encouragement. I want to be honest in hopes of someone like you to help me with ideas and your experience. The funny thing is I love eggs but they told me not to try them for about six weeks. Thursday I'm able to re-introduce regular food into my diet so I will try the eggs with a little cheese and salsa as I love them all. I will keep you posted.

I have not yet had lap band, but should on dec 27, so my hubby asked me for a list of foods for him to buy me. I have been perusing this site tonight looking for good ideas, healthy foods to have. It looks like that's what you're asking... for ideas for alternatives. Here's what I have found, hope some of it sounds yummy.

skim milk, broth, sugar free Jello or pudding, cream of wheat, scrambled eggs (maybe with a little cheese), applesauce, cottage cheese, pureed Soup, banana, tuna, yogurt.

And remember, just keep moving forward. Just because you made one bad choice doesn't mean you have to make more. As said above- we're all in this together, you can do it!

Tabby.