Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Junk Food Easier To Eat After Lap Band Surgery ?

I don't mind people giving all types of opinions including the "I know this isn't what you want to hear, but..." ones. All opinions have value. I will just say that I disagree with Donna's post in only one respect - that the original poster's post will discourage other would-be bandsters. Even before I was banded and reading all the posts obsessively to gather all possible knowledge before the surgery - I could easily tell in 99% of the posts where people were complaining that they were not losing weight while banded that the person was not losing weight because they were eating the wrong foods and/or just plain too many calories. In other words, those posts were not discouraging - but more of a warning of what not to do when I got banded. The posts that truly scared me were the ones from people through no fault of their own had major medical issues after being banded - either the band or doctor was defective or some other unrelated health issue caused banding problems. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF US ON OUR JOURNEYS!!!!laugh.png

The posts that truly scared me were the anti carb high Protein all the way ones, and the "what did you eat today" thread. I truly consider the diet of many bandsters absolutely horrible a) from a nutritional standpoint and B) from a taste standpoint. I thought I would be advised to live on shakes, Protein Bars, meat and cottage cheese. Yuck. And nobody will ever convince me that the average person without metabolic/diabetes issues needs to avoid healthy carbs or that all the processed shakes, meats and such that many bandsters live on wont cause them health problems in the future.

It scared me so much thinking I'd never be able to eat a salad again or never be allowed to have a piece of toast again that I cancelled my appointment with my surgeon an gave up on the idea of banding. Until I got in contact with some other Aussies and realised that I wouldnt be told to eat this way here. And I havent been.

Hi Tina, I got an unfill yesterday because I was too tight. I didn't want to believe it at first but now that I can eat normal foods again I wish I would have done it sooner. Yes, I ate the sweets and chips because I wanted, but also because it was easier to eat. oatmeal was even starting to hurt going down.....I'm hoping I can start losing weight again now. She took out almost 1cc and I feel great. I was scared I would be hungry but I'm not. I wish you well!