Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice...failing With Lap Band After 2 Years

I intially had surgery in late February of 2010. I am a 5'10 male that weighed about 280. I lost 50 pounds in the first 6 months down to about 230. I currently weigh about 250 and my sleep apnea is now coming back. I need to weigh under 200 pounds. I have a 10cc band and have had about 4 or 5 fills and have around 7.4 in a 10cc band, but do not have much restriction.I eat way too much, and have started eating the wrong things as well as drinking sugar. I have fell back into alot of my old ways. I dont want this band to be a failure. I seem to have a lot of fill already, is it possible I need more? Need advice about getting on track after a lapse on my part. Thanks for any help!

The time between the Pre-op diet and the time to reach the green zone, I like to refer to it as "Bandster Boot Camp" During this time you go through all the different food stages,

learn about portion sizes, calorie values, Protein, Water, proper eating and chewing techniques, etc, etc, etc. New habits are learned, mostly from discipline because not many have much restriction.

I have also found from my own personal experience, that if I stop eating for a couple - three days, my band tightens up. (liquids only)

So i would suggest, IMO only, that you may want to go back to day one of "Basic Training" and repeat the process to try to re-learn what all newbies do.

Maybe a support group that is offered in your area, might be helpful. Even though I am a newbie I feel like when I get a fill I fall back on track a little bit. You can do this. We all can, and I get frustrated myself when I stop losing then I start losing I get all excited again and try harder. SO get a fill, get some advice and support from your dr and don't dwell on the past start right up at the future. Best of luck!

Titan I too am coming up on my two years being banded I lost 70lbs then quit smoking a year ago and gained 20 back. Its been hard because I moved and have had issues with doctors but I only have 3 cc's in my band. Sugar is my sin and I love it but the pain in my knees are coming back and I hate myself some days for not getting to goal by now but we are human and it happens. After today I am spending the rest of the the weekend on liquids so that by monday my stomach will be back to normal all I can tell you is get another fill I am waiting for this doctor to take me on as his patient but might not be after the first of the year. I dont really want anymore fills because I have issues eating now with so little in my band and that is why I went to eating bad things it goes down better and I dont have to worry about getting stuck. We dont have to be failures all we need is to get our minds excited like post surgery and thats what Im doing starting tomorrow.

I would definitely look for a support group. Unfortunatly there isn't a magic pill or even a magic lapband that will make you thin and healthy.. That responsibility is in your hands. Lapband is a tool to assist you in the health journey. I can't say much.. I've only been banded for a day, but as everyone here has, I've fought with my weight my entire life. I know the simple formula to lose weight. It's calories in vs calories out.

Finding asupport group with other banders or wls people may help you get motivated to start eating better and exercising more. And if you don't feel your band is providing enough restriction, talk to your doctor about a fill.. Good luck to you! Weight loss is a lifetime commitment.

I don't want to sound like a whinner but.....go see your surgon the surgon does more then just stick you with a band and give you a fill or two.

Regular checkups is part of the process, it's like getting your car checked and oil changed every 3 months or s if you drive alot. you want to keep your engine from mucking up so you get regular srvice on it. the band is the same way. My surgon's practice encourange that we get fills every 6 weeks or so to keep us on our way down the scale. They say "the more you see of us the less we will see of you"--Dr. glasgow's practice in norwood.

No one can loose this kind of weight on their own(isen't this why we chose surgery?). It is not to late to get an apt with your doctor or a neew doctor if you have moved and get back on track.

There's a little exercise called the "5 day pouch test' that has helped several people get

'get back on track'. It's free and only takes a little time, if you really want to get back where

you're losing weight. As you know, there's no easy way to do this, so you'll have to get

going and really apply yourself. Anyway, give it a try and let us know if it does you any good.

You'll find it with the search box on this site or look for it on Google.