Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

dot my i's and cross my t's before I hand over my future...

I have been on the fence about doing the surgery for years now - the money was a great excuse and the weight kept going higher and higher while we couldnt afford it . Now I have been offered the money from my family and we can afford it - they say my life is more important than paying some bills off.

I hate surgery of any kind so I need to make very long lists and make sure all my questions are answered - I am afraid about picking the wrong clinic - the wrong band - not having done enough research. Everyone who I talk to is some how connected to the clinics - I want real answers from real bandsters not the Used car salesman approach I've been getting lately.

I would like some honest answers about the surgery and post surgery and if it is unrealistic to want to lose 120lbs? How does this band impact your life - birthdays - dinner with friends - will I not seem normal anymore? Will I feel sick everyday? Which surgeon is better? Which band is the best? I live in Toronto Canada.

I would like to hear from real people who have had the band put in and DO NOT work for any of the clinics doing the surgery.

Thanks so much.

Check out the Sergical Weight Loss Centre!! That is who I am going through. I have not been banded yet but the support is amazing!!! It cost $17000 out of pocket. To lose 120 pounds with the band is a great reason to get it. I am hoping to lose 80.

Check out the Sergical Weight Loss Centre!! That is who I am going through. I have not been banded yet but the support is amazing!!! It cost $17000 out of pocket. To lose 120 pounds with the band is a great reason to get it. I am hoping to lose 80.

Great Thanks - They are 1 of the 3 that I've narrowed it down to. I am also considering Slimband and Credit Valley Clinic.

From my perspective having the lap band was the best thing i did for myself, i found the surgery relatively easy to be honest, i really wasnt in much pain at all, a little discomfort with some gas in the shoulder but that soon went, the liquid and mushy stage post op was not easy, but to me, having time frames really helps get through the boredom. I had 4 weeks liquid then 4 weeks mushy first band fill after 6 weeks, i took this as a challenge and made my own Soups, did not eat anything starchy or carby, and i got through it. Now I eat around 1000 calories a day mainly good lean protien and green veg, plenty of fish,chicken and salmon ( i adore smoked salmon ), plain low fat yoghurt with bran added and a spoon of maple Syrup or sugar free Jello with some berries added. I actually have really good quality healthy food and i rarely ever get hungry. I drink coffee and tea with skimmed milk and dont really restrict these at all. The band doesnt impact my life as much as i thought it would, protien and a some veg is a staple diet in the UK so not sure how much it will impact you if the food choices are a little harder if you go out or celebrations etc. When i have been out for a meal i stick to a Soup starter then have fish with either salad or veg. Exercise is essential for me to lose weight so i do cycling and strength training, the more u lose the more you can do :)

The great benefits of losing this weight far outweigh any of the downsides like eating out etc, I make certain i have a sharp knife to cut food up small and if i cant resist my husbands food i take a teaspoon full, i was told if you do feel like cheating make it a small cheat. I rarely am sick/get food stuck as i just dont take chances, some food will bite you back on one day and not on another but the longer you have the band the more you will get to know what food to avoid and what to not take chances on.

We are all different and everyones copes with things and deals with them differently, i have been banded 10 months and do not regret one single day of it, arming yourself with all the knowledge that you can before u make a decision and get banded is the best start you can give yourself.

good luck !

I can't help with clinic choice or band choice, however, I can share some of my experiences on your other questions. As far as research, I'm sure you have all the basics covered and just a couple of things that I was caught off guard.

• It takes a while to get restriction and you must be patient with potential fill after fill and fills are 6 weeks apart.
  • All bandsters are different and you cannot compare yourself to anyone else. The band is a very individual learning process and other people's experiences are only a possible guide. One example is the types of foods you can or can't tolerate. Only you will learn as you go.
  • There are medications that are not recommended to take with the band. One big medicine family are NSAIDS or anti-inflamatory meds for arthritis etc. No more motrin.
  • As time goes by, you will learn that the band acts different at different times. Some days you have good/normal restriction and other days not as much. The band still keeps you in check.
  • There is not enough data yet to know how successful the band is on a long term basis and complications can occur.

Post surgery

• Not so bad, however, it is still surgery and you have to take care of yourself. Many people post how easy it is and how they didn't feel much. They are the lucky ones while others deal with incision problems, infections and pain etc. Everyone is different, but, you will heal.
  • 120 lbs. is very reachable, however, you will need to help the band with exercise to reach your expectation and goals. As you start dropping the weight you will become energized and exercise becomes easier.
  • You will not feel sick on a daily basis. The only times you will feel sick is if you eat too fast or have a stuck episode.
  • You get used to eating smaller amounts. Impact on birthdays, dinner with friends is minimal and you will be able to participate, however, you eat less and have to be very careful not to eat fast and chew your food well.
  • Last, but not least. The beginning part is difficult, but, as time goes by you'll be able to eat normal meals, but, much less.

I have no regrets.

I would like some honest answers about the surgery and post surgery and if it is unrealistic to want to lose 120lbs? How does this band impact your life - birthdays - dinner with friends - will I not seem normal anymore? Will I feel sick everyday? Which surgeon is better? Which band is the best? I live in Toronto Canada.

Thanks so much.

I decided when my dental assistant told me she had it done and I knew her for a long time. you might be able to meet people in your area.. go to a Drs support group who you might choose, they are free, and you can hear what they have to say one on one. I am not fond of the seminars, but the support groups are very open

Dr Coburn @ SWLC is amazing. His staff are equally as good. I lovenmy experience. Yes you can lose 120 lbs...absolutely. PM me if you want more info on SWLC