Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery "Must haves"??

Hey Matt- I was banded on 11/10/11 and a few things that I have depended on are liquid pain reliever, heating pad, Campbell's Soup at hand, green tea, Gas-X strips are a must, and sugar free Jello.

I don't have much pain from the incisions, but I really feel like I need to burp and nothing comes out unless I drink something. The day of surgery and the day after surgery the heating pad was a must have. My back was killing me!!

I like the Campbell's Soup at hand because it still has some substance but nothing too solid.

Hope I have been a little helpful!

Hey Matt; I'm glad you posted today.

I had the same questions. Guess I will go but 2 heating pads, don't think I'll be in the mood to share. Liquid Tylenol, would not have thought about that for after the good drugs run out..

- lots of dvr shows to watch (with the pain meds I couldn't concentrate on a book)

-homemade broth, thin Soup, or pho broth from a restaurant

-meals for family already bought and easy to prepare

- friend or family to stay with you and check up on you

- a variety of Protein shakes to sample after surgery (taste changes)

- a 2 oz measuring cup and a 1 cup measuring cup (bed bath and beyond)

-some sort of tracker like previously mentioned.

- a Water bottle/water container to always have near

- a sampling of juices, milks, flavorings, and definitely hot tea's.

- a favorite place to walk...mall, park path, neighborhood, etc in mind. (I have been going to different parks in the city and enjoying the trees turning and the crisp air...also getting exercise in)

- books on tape/down-loadable for those walks. I have gotten a bunch from the library and during my walks I listen to a book on my ipod.

hope it helps.

Since you mentioned waterbottle I LOVE the Thermos Intak Poly bottle. I got it at Target for $10 I bring it with everywhere. Holds 24oz and you can keep track of how many times you filled it up. I have to say my Water intake has increased. The best part it does not leak. I like to add MiO to the Water soooooo good. That's how I quit Diet Soda.

Also love the MyoFusion powder Protein from GNC so far I like chocolate better than vanilla. Of course I blend in the blender ball cup also at GNC. You can make Protein shakes anywhere.

Since I am pre-op that's the info I have but thanks for this thread because I am already starting my list for surgery and post-op.

:)

- lots of dvr shows to watch (with the pain meds I couldn't concentrate on a book)

-homemade broth, thin Soup, or pho broth from a restaurant

-meals for family already bought and easy to prepare

- friend or family to stay with you and check up on you

- a variety of Protein Shakes to sample after surgery (taste changes)

- a 2 oz measuring cup and a 1 cup measuring cup (bed bath and beyond)

-some sort of tracker like previously mentioned.

- a water bottle/water container to always have near

- a sampling of juices, milks, flavorings, and definitely hot tea's.

- a favorite place to walk...mall, park path, neighborhood, etc in mind. (I have been going to different parks in the city and enjoying the trees turning and the crisp air...also getting exercise in)

- books on tape/down-loadable for those walks. I have gotten a bunch from the library and during my walks I listen to a book on my ipod.

hope it helps.

I have found so much help and guidence from the book "Band Wagon". I wish I would have had it pre-op but didn't get it til after. It's been so helpful. I've gone back and read several sections over and over again. It seems like a light bulb comes one time and time again. It's an easy read and the lady who wrote it is a long time dieter and band success story. She tells is like it is. Enjoy!

Thanks everyone for the inputs, Please keep them coming! I'm sure everyone will have the same questions.

For Proteins I've found that Isopure zero carb RTD bottles are perfect, clear so I don't have to wait until the full liquid phase, 40 grams of Protein in 20 oz, 8 great flavors, no carbs, no sugars, no fats, only 160 calories per 20oz bottle!

Muscle Milk Light RTD is tasty as well, and pretty cheap if you buy at a "bulk club" (ie sams, bjs, costco, etc)

sugar free, fat free pudding with Protein mixed in is very tasty as well. If you have a hand/wand mixer with a foam/whip attachment it whips the pudding into just shy of a mousse so you end up with more servings total, cutting down the fat/carbs/calories in each serving.

This list has helped me SO MUCH. I hope other can benefit from it as well!

Thank you all for your help and continued support!

Great thread! Hopefully getting banded the end of this yr/beginning of 2012

A book that we had to purchase at my seminar. It's called "Our Bible." Anything, and everything is in there that I need.

The other thing is if you have the surgery where I did. The Dietician, and Gym is yours for Life ! At No Cost at all.

About the Fitbit, I went and bought one for myself for my birthday yesterday, LOVE IT. Granted I had to get the Black/Plum one since BestBuy doesn't have the Black/Blue ones, but that's fine, I'm secure enough in my manhood to wear purple. :lol:

This thing RULES. I wore it to bed last night and got a very amazing view of my sleep patterns including when I would wake up and hit the snooze button! The online food tracker is wonderful, lots of foods already have been put in, and if it's not you can input it once, and never have to do it again, just click the food item and presto all the nutrional facts get stored to your meal. It tracks your calorie output verse your input, steps, etc etc etc. The customer support has been fast too. Overall, I'm happy I bought it. I've found myself wanting to walk a bit more just to have more points scored! lol

Thanks again for all the inputs! Keep them coming!

Thanks for the input I really want one...can't wait to get it. I didn't know that best buy sold them, that's even better. I think its a great tool to be able to see if you achieving calorie deficit and its more affordable then the BodyBugg. With the BodyBugg you have to pay for the online tools. Did you pay $100? Just curious if best buy offers a better deal. I have to buy 2 so I am looking for a bargain.

BTW Happy Birthday!

About the Fitbit, I went and bought one for myself for my birthday yesterday, LOVE IT. Granted I had to get the Black/Plum one since BestBuy doesn't have the Black/Blue ones, but that's fine, I'm secure enough in my manhood to wear purple. :lol:

This thing RULES. I wore it to bed last night and got a very amazing view of my sleep patterns including when I would wake up and hit the snooze button! The online food tracker is wonderful, lots of foods already have been put in, and if it's not you can input it once, and never have to do it again, just click the food item and presto all the nutrional facts get stored to your meal. It tracks your calorie output verse your input, steps, etc etc etc. The customer support has been fast too. Overall, I'm happy I bought it. I've found myself wanting to walk a bit more just to have more points scored! lol

Thanks again for all the inputs! Keep them coming!

Thanks for the input I really want one...can't wait to get it. I didn't know that best buy sold them, that's even better. I think its a great tool to be able to see if you achieving calorie deficit and its more affordable then the BodyBugg. With the BodyBugg you have to pay for the online tools. Did you pay $100? Just curious if best buy offers a better deal. I have to buy 2 so I am looking for a bargain.

BTW Happy Birthday!

I did pay $100, something to be aware of, is there are 2 versions. There is the original Fitbit or FitBit classic which does not have the same storage or features as the FitBit Ultra. I've seen Fitbit classics for as low as 80 bucks online, but I liked the updated features and storage of the Ultra. Check them both out and compare to see if you can get away with just the classic. If you do buy from BestBuy, if you have the bestbuy rewards card, at least you'll get some points back to use towards other things there.

Thanks Matt I already had decided on the Ultra. I am excited to get it :) Good Idea with the Best Buy card! THANKS!

After a few days of your post op diet you are probably going to experience what I call "liquid diet mouth". It's the most horrible taste and all the tooth brushing and Listerine in the world won't help. What does help is anything lemon flavored. Minute maid makes a light lemonade with only about 10 calories per serving. It comes in 12 pack cans in the Coke aisle (it's non carbonated) or in half gallon cartons in the dairy aisle. It was a life saver! You can also suck on s/f lemon hard candy. Also get some liquid Emetrol for nausea. It works almost instantly.