Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chicago: Nagel vs. Horgan?? Help, please!

Dear All,

I've researched and researched and have all kinds of information about the procedure and so forth. I'm stuck, now, between Dr. Alexander Nagel at Northwestern Memorial Hospital's Wellness Institute and Dr. Santiago Horgan at 900 N. Michigan Avenue. (maybe I should say, here, that I'm a self-pay person and so can move forward fairly quickly once I figure out which of these two doctor's/centers will be best for me.)

I've found some old (dated) threads on LBT that briefly discuss each of these two places/doctors. But, I'd like to know if anyone has any current information that might help me draw a bigger picture. Ex: what kind of care do folks get from Dr. Horgan, any problems with the support groups there? How did people find Dr. Nagel as a surgeon? And, the support groups/staff at the Wellness Institute?

I like the support mechanisms and staff at the Wellness Institute (and that it's at a reputable hospital in case something goes wrong). I like Dr. Horgan's experience (something like 700 surgeries). Eek! Eek! This is soooo difficult. Any illumination would be so appreciated. I am in the dark, for sure!

Thanks a bunch.

Coco

After a doctor has done several hundred surgeries, they are very experienced. There is no difference, imo, betwen 500 surgeries and 1500 surgeries. SO - I'd suggest choosing based on the aftecare program, the exxperience of the fill person( and a talented PA or Nurse Practitoner who does the fills is idea, becuase that will be their expertise. They also often do much of the teaching. the expertise of the surgeon is SURGERY. ), the demeanor of the office staff, and how you "feel" about the doc - easy to talk to? Explains things clearly? is a personality match with you?

Go to a couple of the support groups and talk to people.

you will have a relationship with these people the rest of your life, so listen to your gut. Renee

CoCo.

We're in the same place. Both seem well qualified, but it's hard to get a handle on which offers the better aftercare program.

I went with Dr. Horgan simply because I couldn't find any differences. I'm completing my preops the first week of March.

Let me know what you find out and what you decide. I still have time to change my mind if it makes sense to do so.

Feel free to email me directly.

I personally was unhappy with Dr. Horgan and I am aware of several others that have had the same type of experiences with his practice. I was covered by insurance but was still treated what I feel was poorly. I made a formal complaint with the hospital that he operates with. I have since changed after care doctors and have found several other patients that have switched to the same practice. Feel free to PM me for more information. ~Mandy

I don't live in the Chicagoland area - but I have heard rave reviews about Dr. Nagel.

Hopefully you'll make the right choice for you, but they are both decent choices.

Good Luck.

Over the years, I've heard two things about Horgan: he's a gifted surgeon AND he and his practice CAN make patients feel that they are in the way.

Personally, I don't care about my surgeon's (or my airline pilot's) personality...but if YOU do, Horgan's probably not your guy. OTOH, he has revised some real messes.

Good luck with your choice...

I am not saying Horgan isn't a wonderful surgeon. When I changed aftercare doctors the first thing he said after he found out Horgan did my surgery is, "At least we don't have to make sure the band is placed properly" He reassurer me that Horgan was an excellent surgeon. But I had complications and was released by a med student the day after surgery. I was told that Horgan was in the clinic seeing last weeks band patients. THe following week when it was my turn to visit the clinic guess what? I saw the same med student. When I asked where Dr. Horgan was the nurse lughed and said " you probably won't see im anymore" When I asked about fills I was told they were usually done by a "fellow". I have never met Dr. Horgan and he did my surgery. My initial appointment was with a med student and then my pre-op appointment was with the fellow. The day of surgery he came into the operating room after I was already under anestisa and then he didn't do any of my follow up visits. I hated the attitude of the fellow, and he gave me totally wrong information. He told me I could start working out even lifting weights at 2 weeks post-op. My printed instructions said 6 weeks. Hs nursing staff at UIC is great, the staff at MIBC was less than desirable. I called to make my first fill appointment and they treated me like a second class patient. I was given the run around and placed on hold several times for long periods of time. I asked if I could make an appointment to see Dr. Horgan personally for my fill and I was told that he may or may not be there that day. I would have to call the morning of the appointment and see if he was there. Even if he was there in the morning didn't guarentee he would still be there for my appointment time. Just be aware, there are other doctors out there that respect your time, money and you as a person with just as much experience as Dr. Horgan. Don't be treated poorly, overweight people tend to settle for second best and he knows this. Why make the staff better if people give him money anyway? I am not looking for a doctor to hold my hand in this journey, I have a doctor that respects me, but at the same time makes sure I am on the right path. I'm not saying don't go there I am saying be aware, the follow-up care and office treatment is less than desired. ~Mandy

For your open and honest feedback about your experience with Dr. Horgan and his team. I can tell his staff at MIBC will not be very helpful during aftercare as they haven't been very helpful to date. I would like to at least see my surgeon though before going under and for follow-up care, so you've given me some information to consider.

I've PM'd you with my contact information so we can chat more and keep in touch.

Again thanks. That's what this forum is all about; hearing the good, bad and ugly.

It's too bad that you had a negative experience with Dr. Horgan and his staff. I have not experienced anything that you described. He was just voted one of the top Dr.'s in the Chicago area, I think that speaks volumes. No one has ever done a fill (or an empty) on me except him. I don't think you can hold him responsible for his staff. If he doesn't know how they treat you he can't fix it. In my opinion, he is a very personable physician who genuinely cares about his patients. I cannot say enough good things about him!