Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice or Suggestion .. please

so I have been trying to figure out the best way for people to find out I have a lap band.... It's social media that's getting me! The people I work with know and ask questions from time to time and my close friends at work even joke around with me about how slow I eat ... My family knows that I have had the procedure done as well. However, everytime I go to post an update from lapbandjourney or from this site to Facebook I end up panicking after its posted and they delete the post.

I'm not sure why I'm not ready for those who aren't close to me on a daily basis to know. My reasonable side says that I shouldn't care what other people think - especially people I went to high school with. But my non-rational side keeps deleting the posts from facebook. I guess I don't want to hear from the negative nancys (no offense to any nancys out there)

Has anyone else struggled with posting great, exciting weight loss updates on more public sites? how did you overcome it?

Well I have not been banded yet but only my parents, husband and best friend know. Other than that my other friend who had the lapband knows. I really don't want to hear negative comments. It's my journey! It is tough because I am obessed with it and I want to talk about it all the time. That is why I am always on here. I don't think I will tell many people afterwards too especially at work. Although I am not sure, with weight loss success I may want to shout it out LOUD lol.

Just a suggestion about Facebook. You could divided all your facebook friends into groups for example, High School friends, work friends, close friends, family etc., then you can choose which groups you want to share something with. They don't all have to know. Just keep in mind you can't prevent anyone from gossiping.

I told my co workers . I am an RN in a large private pediatric practice . They have been so supportive. And my family and many friends have also been told. I am proud of taking this giant step to improve my health and well being. I appreciate the support and would hate to be secretive about such a big thing in my life. I go by the adage of "whatever someone thinks of me, is really none of my business". It works for me and I haven't had one nay sayer yet. In fact, I have had a few friends talk to me about people they know who could benefit from weight loss surgery. So , be brave and don't worry about anyone but your self. It's your life.

Skinnyminime ...

Great suggestion on grouping people on facebook....

Before surgery only my husband, best friend, and her husband knew - not even my parents. I had surgery the week before my 30th Birthday and I remember when I finally told my mom - it was only because I had to. She called to tell me that her and my sister were coming to visit for my Birthday and that they had this huge day planned for going out to lunch and getting me new clothes - I finally broke down and told her and she was excited for me.

After I had the surgery there were only two people at work who knew, my boss and a good friend who has been super supportive. Everyone thought I was on vacation for a week when I got back... I never lied but I didn't correct them either. Now that I have lost 70 lbs since I started and 60 pounds since April people are asking how I'm losing weight. I have found that its easier now to explain to them that I had lapband surgery earlier this year and clearly its been successful. I haven't run into any negative reactions yet - quite the opposite - a lot of encouragement actually. I'm a plant manager so I'm one of less than 10 women in the plant - now when I walk through in new clothes or with a little more confidence the guys give me a thumbs up and compliment me on "dressing up" more often. It's nice!

There were a few people that I go to lunch with that notice sooner than others that something was different and I again - I told them but asked them to let me tell others when I'm ready instead of it going through the gossip mill.

I guess it's all part of the journey.

Skinnyminime ...

Great suggestion on grouping people on facebook....

Before surgery only my husband, best friend, and her husband knew - not even my parents. I had surgery the week before my 30th Birthday and I remember when I finally told my mom - it was only because I had to. She called to tell me that her and my sister were coming to visit for my Birthday and that they had this huge day planned for going out to lunch and getting me new clothes - I finally broke down and told her and she was excited for me.

After I had the surgery there were only two people at work who knew, my boss and a good friend who has been super supportive. Everyone thought I was on vacation for a week when I got back... I never lied but I didn't correct them either. Now that I have lost 70 lbs since I started and 60 pounds since April people are asking how I'm losing weight. I have found that its easier now to explain to them that I had lapband surgery earlier this year and clearly its been successful. I haven't run into any negative reactions yet - quite the opposite - a lot of encouragement actually. I'm a plant manager so I'm one of less than 10 women in the plant - now when I walk through in new clothes or with a little more confidence the guys give me a thumbs up and compliment me on "dressing up" more often. It's nice!

There were a few people that I go to lunch with that notice sooner than others that something was different and I again - I told them but asked them to let me tell others when I'm ready instead of it going through the gossip mill.

I guess it's all part of the journey.

I have told very few people. My husband, my mom, my cousin, my boss, and three friends (one of whom was banded in December of last year). My mother told my step-aunt, who I suspect has told everyone and anyone. I not keeping it a secret, but I'm also not announcing it on Facebook.< /p>

I have told me immediate family and very few friends. When I had surgery I was in a school setting and most people knew that I had surgery. I didnt hide it and I didnt broadcast it either. But as I lost weight people stared to make it appear as thought it was easy to loose weight with the band. It was almost as if I was defending myself that it was still work and a choice everytime I put food to my mouth. I think that sometimes people forget that the band still comes with food choices and struggles. And on the rare day that I ate something sweet or whatever I would have all eyes facing me like my jury. It was too much.

I have since moved to a new job and I havent told the people that I work with. I dont know that I ever will.

i don't talk about it on Facebook, at all!! I make comments about me exercising and my walking.....i post pictures all the time. trust me they will notice. i get comments on there all the time i even get people asking can they join me in walking. I feel like this...everybody don't need to know everything about you. because they will criticize.

FB is a social place to share and comment, if you dont want to share your true experience of the band, or let people on it know about the surgery, it may be a good idea not to even mention it on FB. If you are not ready to share, that is fine. I have told only a handful of people, and have not posted one comment, status or pic of me regarging the surgery. I feel it is noones buisness, if they see me in person and ask how i lost weight i will tell them the truth. When i reach my goal i will post a before and after pic of me.. and thank my surgeon in my status :)

I was very open to everyone from the beginning. I don't personally feel like I have to hide the fact that I had wls from anyone. I've only.ran into one negative nelly & when I explained how hard I had tried in the past without sucess & my food addiction she totally changed her tune & became very supportive. All people look @ this problem differently.... If you don't feel comfortable then by all means don't post anything :)

Good luck! & congrats on your sucess!

My hubby knows and that was going to be it but a couple people from work now know due to a slipped band while traveling overseas for work. You could use your FB privacy settings to restrict who can see your posts

I have made no secret about my surgery. I'll tell anyone who asks and some who don't. But I never mention it on Facebook.

I also haven't mentioned it on Facebook. Just didn't feel right for me, though it has not been a secret. People know whom I have personally told.

i was very open about my band as well. I told everyone. Now i wish i hadn't. Everyday at work someone has to ask me how its going and if i lost any weight yet from the last time they asked me like 2 days prior. I hate it. I just want to be left alone. But that may be because i am depressed right now. I have alot going on in my life so i am eating carbs again and not losing weight. I have gained about 8 pounds in a few weeks. I quit excersizing. I just dont know. Maybe when things are better I will be happier about everyone always asking but for right now i hate it.

I work with the public, and I do get asked how I have lost weight a lot. I tell them I exercise a lot, eat healthy small meals and drink lots of Water. All true and those that are close to me know about the lap band, but everyone else it is on a need to know.