Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do the calories count if you throw up?

Since my second fill I can’t seem to figure out what, how, when to eat and have been gagging and throwing up a lot..when I do throw up it’s only a small amount of food but a lot of phlegm comes up

I think I am choking and automatically reach for my inhaler but it’s not my lungs just food stuck

I think I am eating small meal slowly but I guess it’s not small or slow enough

I am supposed to get another fill next week and I don’t know if I will go

I am scared to eat…had a small potato last night for dinner it went down ok and stayed down

But afterwards I was hungry….stomach hungry not head hungry but didn’t want to eat so late or risk throwing up so I went to bed hungry

Feel kind of down not at all happy with all the throwing up

last week only lost 1/2 lb and wonder how this week will go?

How long till you figure out what, where,when you can eat?

I am so tired of ensure, cornation and yogurt

It sounds like you don't need a fill, you may even need an unfill. Taking a tiny bit out can make a huge difference and still leave you with great restriction. If you are eating the right foods, chewing enough and eating very slow you shouldn't have problems unless your band is too tight. You should go to see your doctor and tell him what's going on, don't miss your appointment. Follow ups and good doctor/patient aftercare is a huge part of this process. Throwing up alot is NOT normal and can hurt your stomach, esophagus and possibly cause band slippage. Tell your doctor about it, don't be afraid to be honest with him, he's there to help you get through this. With the problems you are having you shouldn't really be concerned about calories counting if you throw up. If you are "throwing up" just that little bit that comes out, that's usually your last couple of bites that are stuck at the top of your stomach or esophagus. This happens to all of us occasionally, for it to be happening often is NOT good. You have to find a happy medium and until you know for sure what you can tolerate it will be touch and go. You have to be careful, stop between bites and "listen" to your band, take a moment to think "Am I really still hungry?" if you aren't then you have to stop eating. It's a hard transition when we were once used to just stuffing our faces and not thinking about what were doing. Slow down, after a "throw up" episode you should do liquids or at least mushies for 24 hours to give your stomach time to recover. What types of foods are you eating? Are you eating breads, rices, pastas, dry meats? Alot of people have trouble with these types of foods and either have to eat very tiny pieces or they have to avoid them all together. I hope things get better, good luck!

if you eat a meal, and then get stuck. Some of that comes up, but the rest goes through ! Then Yes it counts.

If you get stuck on the first bite, bring it up, and say NO way I'm eating anything... I'm to swollen. Then NO !

Nothing went in to cause calorie intake.

Are you chewing enough & taking small bites too? Are you getting enough Protein? I can't do any startches! I make the mistake of not listening to my body and having those last 2 bites! Measure you food, take small bites & chew, chew! I keep the food list on my fridge to remind me what I am not to eat! Good luck!

Cheers,

Kristi

Keep your dr appointment and tell him what you have told us. He/she is there to work with you through this journey. I have read several times that the band patients who are most successful are those who work most closely with their medical team. I understand that this can be more difficult in the US where healthcare is managed quite differently than in Australia and tends to be very costly, but just consider the cost of not seeing your dr.

Coming from someone who recently got a fill even though I truely didn't need it & subsequently having a slight unfil my advice is this... Don't get a fill!

Since my second fill I can't seem to figure out what, how, when to eat and have been gagging and throwing up a lot..when I do throw up it's only a small amount of food but a lot of phlegm comes up

I think I am choking and automatically reach for my inhaler but it's not my lungs just food stuck

I think I am eating small meal slowly but I guess it's not small or slow enough

I am supposed to get another fill next week and I don't know if I will go

I am scared to eat…had a small potato last night for dinner it went down ok and stayed down

But afterwards I was hungry….stomach hungry not head hungry but didn't want to eat so late or risk throwing up so I went to bed hungry

Feel kind of down not at all happy with all the throwing up

last week only lost 1/2 lb and wonder how this week will go?

How long till you figure out what, where,when you can eat?

I am so tired of ensure, cornation and yogurt

If you tell them what you are saying here. I don't believe they will give you a fill ! Because you couldn't need to be any tighter at this time.

I am defiantly keeping my appointment this is the last one without a copay (I got 90 days post op care after my surgery) would liked to have gotten a fill but it’s ok I am in this for the long haul

Though from now on I have a $50 copay to see the doc or even the PA.

I don’t think I want them to take anything out as I am only at 4 ½ cc…before the last fill I was only at 3 ½ cc and I felt almost no restrictions and was hungry all the time

Am back on liquids and mushies for a day or so then will try real food

I think I am eating small amounts, chewing a lot but I guess I have to eat slower and even less

I thought the hardest part would be the actual surgery but compared to this the surgery was a breeze.

Am down another ½ a pound down to 215.8 total 14 ½ pounds since being banded

Though it would be more and am kind of sad about it…..but will just have to try harder

If you can't eat you will not lose. It is so horrible to be too tight and not worth the way you feel. I am too tight right now, but only because I can get Water and protien shakes down I am waiting till Tuesday for a small unfill not first time to be too tight. I can not eat a thing and refuse to turn to ice cream I was fine first two week and then it hit me. You might even get tighter without a fill. I

am 2+ years out and you will pay almost anything if you are too tight so you might ending up spending more that the $50 if you have to go back in a couple of days or a couple of weeks for an unfill.

Cheri