Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok!! Is Anyone 100% Happy W/ The Lap Band?? And Successful

I'm scheduled for my lower body lift and breast lift for May 7th. I'm petrafied!

I had my band surgery August 2008. I weighed 363 when I started 6 month mandatory diet. I weighed 300 lbs day my band was placed. Today I weigh 155 lbs. :)

Congratulations!!!!! Please post before and after pics!

I am very glad I had the Lap Band Surgery in September 2011.

My weight loss has been slow and, but in the final analysis, I am 55lbs lighter than I was a year ago! In what universe would I NOT BE HAPPY to loose 55 lbs in a year. I read so many forum posts where people are literally expecting so much that they are unhappy with significant weight loss, but it has slowed down, or they are no longer loosing 4 pounds a week like in the first weeks after surgery. The nasty secret about loosing weight is that once you loose a sizable amount of weight (whether you think it is good or not), your body adjusts, your calorie requirements just maintain your new weight go down, perhaps your metabolism slows down, and you need to to consume still fewer calories to loose weight.

Also, it is very important to realize (and truly internalize) that the band is just a tool. You still need to learn how to eat less, not snack excessively, and learn to find other things to do when you have the urge to eat. As the psychologist at my Bariatric center says, most of the time we aren't really hungry, we just want to eat. And we live in a very toxic food environment, where high calorie, low nutrition food are around us all the time.

The band has made it easier to not eat Snacks (hot dogs, donuts, croissants, pretzels), that I see and therefore want to eat during the day. I've pretty much been able to cut out between meal snacks during the day, but still struggle at night. I seem to still want to eat after dinner while I'm watching TV or working at the computer.

So I've devised some strategies to resist that urge to eat after dinner. I guess I'm successful about 2/3 of the time, and the rest I just let go. I don't beat myself up, call myself a failure, or think about it. To me that is self defeating and makes me feel bad about myself !!!! I keep a wide variety of nutritious foods such as greek yogurt, hummus, etc so if I do eat an evening snack it is not the end of the world. I'm just thankful to realize that before my band, I couldn't even resist unecessary eating 100% of the time. To me 33% of the time that is tremendous progress!

To summarize, the band is only a tool. T0 be successful in the long run (and that's what I'm interested in!), you need to figure out your triggers, and how to deal with them. The band will not do that for you. Naturally, your weight loss slows once you've lost a significant amount of weight, and your body gets used to the band.

I consider myself a real (and continuing success) ! I have more to go, but i'll do it slowly, without making myself crazy, which only made me eat more.

Also, the bariatric psychologist at my center has been a real help in my journey. I began to see her when I realized I did not have a healthy relationship with food (soothed me when upset or anxious, or even when I felt bad about myself). She tells me that in times of stress (like the holidays, family illness, etc), just staying even is a big victory. If your center has a psychologist, I highly recommend you utilize them. I really think she has been the difference in my success, not just the band.

The nasty secret about loosing weight is that once you loose a sizable amount of weight (whether you think it is good or not), your body adjusts, your calorie requirements just maintain your new weight go down, perhaps your metabolism slows down, and you need to to consume still fewer calories to loose weight.

This is so true and the reason that so many people find it hard to maintain - especially without a band. I have been maintaining relatively well a weight of around 50kg for almost 2 years. I recently had to have a large amount of Fluid taken out of my band and am now struggling. I have put on 2kg over the last couple of months. I was supposed to go for another fill this week but had to reschedule due to work commitments and now only go on 3 May. I cannot wait. I now understand why I struggled for so long to maintain the weight I wanted to be without a band. The truth is that the amount of food I required was far less than I or society believed it should be. Without constantly being aware of what you are eating it is so easy to eat too much. It would probably be easier if I was the kind of person that loved exercise but I have never been a natural athlete. Ever since school when I was a book worm I have looked at exercise as a chore and a waste of time - who wants to run when you could be reading or creating something - this mindset is really hard to change!

The truth is that the amount of food I required was far less than I or society believed it should be. Without constantly being aware of what you are eating it is so easy to eat too much. It would probably be easier if I was the kind of person that loved exercise but I have never been a natural athlete. Ever since school when I was a book worm I have looked at exercise as a chore and a waste of time - who wants to run when you could be reading or creating something - this mindset is really hard to change!

Amen, Sister!

I have been very happy with my band. I have lost a lot of weight. I have gotten frustrated with myself because I don't always do what I am supposed to do- but the band works great if I do what I am supposed to do. I don't regret getting the band. Good luck everyone.

I love my band too, because im seeing SUCCESS !! a few years ago i joined Weight Watchers, love the program and the people, but it took me 1 yr to lose 12 lbs !! EEEEK ! It just didnt work for me, i got frustrated and gained quit, gained the 12 lbs back and another 12 for a high of 225 lbs. i was banded Dec, 2011 and as of today ( April 20th, 2012_) Im down 30 lbs ! Oh , Yeah, I LOVE my band !!

I am adding in my two cents. I love my band. Although it took three years to get some restriction- its working for me. Two of the other women I was banded with have already had theirs removed.

It really is a commitment. I dedicated myself to my fills, it took 16 for me. Pre banding I never heard of anyone having so many fills. If I had I might have re considered but now I'm glad, I must admit that the first three years were frustrating and I had to constantly remind myself why I wanted it.

It's just a tool. If you don't use it properly you won't get the results you do desire.

Good luck!!!

post-227251-13813140032134_thumb.jpg