Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a time with meat

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Yes, it's me who has lost 80 pounds in just 5 months. Just a few thoughts...

I NEVER expected to be doing this well.

Kelly, Alexandra, and others who have lost 30 or so pounds in that time - you're really right on track. I was always told to expect 1-2 pounds a week and I truly expected that in 5 months, if I had lost more than 20 pounds, I would be right on target. And that's where you both are. So, don't compare yourself to others. (Yes, I know, easier said than done. I would be doing the same thing.)

I won't say this process has been easy. I've actually really worked at making right choices. And I did (and still do) have a lot to lose, so the weight is going to come off faster than if I had much less to lose. (Though it is slowing down.)

A few things I'm doing that I think makes this all work...

- I'm making the right food choices (most of the time). I am eating lots of Protein (eggs, fish, meat, hummus, Beans, etc.) I have a Protein shake occassionallly. When I'm hungry, I go for some Protein first. My daily protein intake is at least 70-80, but often over 100.

- I'm really restricting carbs. Not all carbs - but mainly potatoes, bread, Pasta, etc.

- I did NOT listen to the dietician who said that I should be eating 700-800 calories a day. I really felt strongly that if I went down to that low amount of calories, my body would go into a starvation mode and my metabolism would slow down - slowing my weight loss. In fact, I am generally eating between 1000-1500 calories a day. (My weight loss is dramatically slowing at this point, and I expect that I will need to have another fill and lower my caloric intake.)

- I have been regularly tracking my food intake on a daily basis on fitday.com. It helps. I know what I've been eating. And sometimes I am surprised that it's not more than it is.

- So far, I have had 3 fills. I anticipate getting another one soon (perhaps this week, depending on what the scale says.) My theory has been that even though I've been eating much more than I expected to be able to eat, as long as I'm losing, I didn't want to be too restricted. (Again, I know that I will need to drop intake, but I didn't want to slow my metabolism prematurely.) So, when I go to the doctor this week, my feeling is that if I have lost anything, I will not get a fill. But if I'm really at a plateau (or even a possible gain), it's time for another fill.

- I stop in at my doctor's office weekly (almost) to get weighed. It helps me know where I am. I guess years of Weight Watchers and other weekly weigh-in programs has me conditioned. However, this is the first time I actually look forward to getting weighed. (And yes, when it's a plateau, or even a gain, I get discouraged.)

- I have been exercising. I was doing Water aerobices 2x/week (even before surgery), but the class is on hold now. I have also been going to a personal trainer almost weekly (recommended by my doctor). And now have just joined a gym. (Went yesterday for the 1st time on my own, and am I sore!)

- I go to the montly support groups - just to keep in touch.

- I read lots and lots of the online groups to see what other people are doing. I look forward to reading all the posts, on this board, as well as a couple of others.)

I think that all of these steps have really helped me. And certainly, my good weight loss has been a tremendous motivator.

In fact, however, I too get discouraged. I KNOW I have lost much more than I expected to lose. But I'm also feeling those same feelings of ... "will this continue"; "have I lost all I'm going to"; "I have SO much more to lose, I'll never make it"; etc, etc.

So, even though I have lost a good amount, I need the same encouragement as all of you to keep on going and take one day (and one pound) at a time.

Don't compare yourself. Just relook at what you're doing and try to make some small changes and good choices. And keep up with the protein.

Hope this helps. I think it helped me to put it in writing.

Good luck.

Mary

Mary,

Would you mind sharing what a typical daily menu is for you? I was banded about a week after you and have lost 38 pounds which I know is a wonderful thing but I seem to be stuck now even after my 3rd fill recently. During the day and especially in the morning I am definitely restricted, but at night I just seem to keep eating and I don't understand why I'm not as restricted then and I don't seem to get that full feeling. You must be eating alot to be getting in that much Protein. I know in order to lose weight you do have to eat so you obviously are doing the right thing. Thanks for sharing.

In answer to your question about my daily eating...

Really, it varies greatly. And, just yesterday, had a 4th fill - so I'm sure it will change a lot. But, as of a couple of weeks ago, here's an idea of what I was eating...

- Breakfast

1/2 cup cottage cheese

or

1/2 cup tuna salad

or

2 scrambled eggs with salsa and a little bit of cheese

or

yogurt with some high Protein Cereal

or

occassionally a Protein shake (Unury with Lactaid fat free milk)

and if really hungry I would sometimes have a combination of the above

- lunch

Generally I'd have about 3/4 - 1 cup of some sort of protein - ground turkey with taco seasoning, left over fish, tuna salad, turkey meatballs, Soup

- Mid-afternoon

Sometimes I have a yogurt in the afternoon

- dinner

Sometimes start with Soup - homemade, low fat - often vegetable based, but sometimes with Beans

Usually mainly protein - lots of fish (6-8 oz); or chicken; or ground turkey; or some kind of stewed 9soft) meat (lamb or veal)

Some vegetables

Dessert is usually my treat of fat free, sugar free pudding and a fruit juice popsicle

If we go out for dinner, I usually get fish and double vegetables.

I also snack on hummus

Occassionally have some crackers

I have to say I'm lucky. I'm at home with my mother, who does all the cooking, so I don't have to prepare anything. It definitely makes it much easier.

Lately however, I've been really hungry - eating the entire meal in a restaurant, and even had a steak the other night. So, that's why I just had a 4th fill.

Hope this helps.

Mary

Guest Tanise

Hello Kelly, The one thing I have found in my weight loss is the more Protein I get, the more weight I lose. My surgery was in July, '03 and to date, I have lost 90 pounds. Very exciting for me. But, in late December, I reached a major plateau after reaching 79 pounds by year-end. I had only had one adjustment since surgery and since year-end, I have only lost 11 pounds! I had an adjustment in late February and have begun to lose again, however, it is very slow and I think mainly due to my not being able to get a lot of meat down. So, I have begun drinking Protein drinks (powder mixed with orange juice) and hopefully this will increase my weight loss at least to 2 pounds per week. I only have 40 more pounds to lose.

Anyway, this is my advice...add the Protein. I am not a real fish eater (I love shellfish but who can afford it). White fish makes me sick to smell it. I eat lots of tuna and when I eat tuna, I lose!

Good luck.