Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Transition from Liquids too easy!!

I was banded on the 14th and had my first followup after one week ad was doing fine. After 10 days post op, I could not handle only liquids any more so I had 2 oz of tuna just like they said I should do as I transition to semi soft foods. No issues at all. Not full or even satisifed at all. The next morning I had hard boiled eggs then mid day a piece of toast and dinner 2 hambergers with no bread. I had 2 Protein Shakes and plenty of Water throughout the day. I ate everything slowly, did not drink during meals and I am scared that I am going down a path I do not want to be on. I am hungry and should not be. I am not due for my first fill for another month. Why was the transition so easy? I am getting cravings that I do not want to feel especially if I have no restriction.

Any thoughts?

Honeymoon is over, I was forewarned of this. Your swelling in the stomach has gone down and you have no restriction in your band yet. Just keep up with the protien shakes. I am 6 months post op and still do 3 a day. This way whatever I eat is bonus.

Good luck to you. BTW I am down 59 lbs. You will be a loser soon too!!!

I have no problems with the Protein shakes. I had about 90 grams of Protein today. This honeymoon ending thing concerns me. Will these issues calm down after my first fill? If so, I will at least have a goal date to make it to.

Honeymoon is over, I was forewarned of this. Your swelling in the stomach has gone down and you have no restriction in your band yet. Just keep up with the protien shakes. I am 6 months post op and still do 3 a day. This way whatever I eat is bonus.

Good luck to you. BTW I am down 63 lbs. You will be a loser soon too!!!

I was also banded on the 14th. I am on pureed foods now but have had no hunger at all. Sometimes I cannot eat the whole of the 4 oz yogurts. I drank my cream of chicken Soup Protein Shake too fast today and was terribly uncomfortable for a bit, enough that I could not finish it. I do not know if the fact that I had plication along with the band is making a difference, but I am definitely not getting any physical hunger pains. Occasionally head hunger does rear its ugly head though.

I was banded on the 14th and had my first followup after one week ad was doing fine. After 10 days post op, I could not handle only liquids any more so I had 2 oz of tuna just like they said I should do as I transition to semi soft foods. No issues at all. Not full or even satisifed at all. The next morning I had hard boiled eggs then mid day a piece of toast and dinner 2 hambergers with no bread. I had 2 Protein shakes and plenty of Water throughout the day. I ate everything slowly, did not drink during meals and I am scared that I am going down a path I do not want to be on. I am hungry and should not be. I am not due for my first fill for another month. Why was the transition so easy? I am getting cravings that I do not want to feel especially if I have no restriction.

Any thoughts?

Yes it will be very different after the first fill. Sometimes it even takes a second. I was good for about 4 months with my first fill then started feeling I could eat too much and was not staying full long enough and only lost 1lb that month so I got my second fill and what a difference. You have to learn to listen to your band, eat very slowly and chew chew chew. I find that if I put my fork down between bites and don't get distracted I am less likely to get stuck and realize that I am full before I go too far. It will get better I promise. The last couple of weeks before my first fill were rough though. My sister just got her first fill and is learning that what she could eat before may not go down so easy now.

I was banded on the 14th and had my first followup after one week ad was doing fine. After 10 days post op, I could not handle only liquids any more so I had 2 oz of tuna just like they said I should do as I transition to semi soft foods. No issues at all. Not full or even satisifed at all. The next morning I had hard boiled eggs then mid day a piece of toast and dinner 2 hambergers with no bread. I had 2 Protein shakes and plenty of Water throughout the day. I ate everything slowly, did not drink during meals and I am scared that I am going down a path I do not want to be on. I am hungry and should not be. I am not due for my first fill for another month. Why was the transition so easy? I am getting cravings that I do not want to feel especially if I have no restriction.

Any thoughts?

I was banded on the 7th and I have been hungry since day 2. Like you, I do not feel full or satisfied. It's driving me bonkers because I don't get my first fill until Oct. 19th. That's still a ways off. I am also getting cravings for things that are bad bad bad for me (pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries....). Yikes!

I was given papers from my doctor that told me that I should feel a Considerable amount of hunger until my first fill and that it's NORMAL to feel this way. The first six weeks after surgery are for healing and working on eating correctly and such. Not for losing weight or to never feel hunger. This is the time to really work on those issues and try and eat good foods for the body, eat more regularly, and sometimes eat 5 small meals a day and not just 3 meals a day. I've found this time period to be a trying time for me.

I would also check with your doctor to see if they did put some liquid in your band at the time of your surgery. I've read many different items on the website saying that there probably is some Fluid in your band already. When I asked my doctor about this he did state that YES usually there is some becasue they have to make sure it is working properly and they put some liquid in it during surgery, so there is some restriction already. Plus, you can't eat a really big bite of food because it can get stuck even without any Fluid in the band. I meantion this because that band is around the top of your stomach and if you try and eat a huge piece of anything (without chewing it good) it can get stuck where the band will NOT let it go through. So remember to chew very good with your foods and slow down when you eat.

I also think you should really think about if you're really hungry or not. Is it real belly hunger, or head hunger. Just being around my family when they eat makes me feel hungry, but that's head hunger and NOT real belly hunger. I have to constantly remind myself to listen to my body, and not just smell the good foods around and me and think I'm hungry when I'm NOT. I find it very hard at work because everyone eats at their desk around me. I smell food all day long, and some times I think I'm hungry when I'm NOT and that is a very huge struggle for me. Sometimes I just get up and walk away for a few minutes, or start drinking lots and lots of Water at that point to fill me up so I do not want to even think about eating.

Every surgeon really is different. Mine specifically told me that I should be losing 1 - 3 pounds a week after the first week. So, they don't believe in the "time for healing" way of thinking. Once I started losing, it's been averaging about 2 lbs/week. I get my first fill on the 19th. I'm sooo looking forward to it. The hunger between meals hasn't been as bad as it was, but I've been drinking lots of Protein so I think that's helping.