Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Second guessing Lap Band! Help

Hey guys!

Im interested in getting Lap Band, the only problem is that i keep second guessing myself due to being scared of being left with tons of excess skin after the surgery.

My husband is in the army so the surgery will actually be covered but he is getting out in 2013. Seeing that they only cover one "cosmetic" surgery ( I have no health problems other than being obese), im afraid i'll be left having to defend for myself and paying for the excess skin (if any) removal. I've been researching Lap Band for the past year and a half and have decided that it is something that i can absolutely benefit from and something that will make my life totally easier. Im aware that i will need to work out with this plan and im totally commited in doing so. I just wonder if anyone else had the same thoughts b4 going through with the surgery and what the out come was. Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

thanks in advanced.

I haven't even thought about the excess skin, as I am just ready to be healthier and lighter. Having excess skin cannot possibly be worse that being the weight I am now. Perhaps in the future you will have access to other health care that can cover that if it is even needed. I would never let that hold me back and hope you are able to work it out for yourself.

A lot of people asked me my feelings about the excess skin factor prior to my lap band surgery, and I always felt that in all honesty which is worse? Fat rolls or excess skin? Unhealthy, obese, and unhappy or a little stretchy? And I've lost 50 lbs. since my surgery in April and really only my belly looks a little deflated.

People asked menprior to surgery if I was worried about the excess skin. Just like what the other two posters said, I'd rather be healthy with a little flabby skin(which you won't even notice in clothes probably) than weigh over 300 lbs and deal with all the issues that come with being obese. I plan on probably getting a breast lift and a Tummy Tuck one day (after having babies) but I'm more focused on getting healthy now. Plus, with the lap band most people lose weight slower than gastric bypass or other weight loss surgeries so for some people it's not that much of an issue.

I looked at your profile. You are 25 correct. That is still a nice young age, and your skin should have it's elasticity left to it to bounce back.. (you hope)

Exercise, and use weights for toning, that should help.

If not,,,,,, when it comes time for plastics, you can have him put it all in a package deal. or if extremely obese ? TOTAL BODY LIFT ! (OUCH) or live with some flab..

It's all up to you.

But the band is better then being overweight.